YJ trailer build - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ trailer build

Finally started my trailer project. Figured I would start a build thread. Cut a wrecked YJ in half today to start out. Need to go to the metal yard and get some box for the tongue. Still trying to figure out how to close up the front, thinking a wood frame with stainless sheet metal. I will be using this as a camping trailer. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome.

Few thoughts:

Will have a lunette on the tongue.

Thinking of keeping the gas tank on it with a transfer pump instead of mounting Jerry cans.

If I keep the D35 under it, I can use the emergency brake still.

Open top is easy, closed top is better but will make it hard to reach things up front.

Attached Thumbnails
20200530_171547_1590890551718.jpg  
bruinjeeper, Azhunter1 and cpia84 like this.

Adopt-a-Trail Volunteer SBNF 3N17
YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 08:30 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing the progress. A buddy and I are planning a similar trailer using a CJ5 tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Looking forward to seeing the progress. A buddy and I are planning a similar trailer using a CJ5 tub.
make a build thread! Want to see that too
timatoe likes this.

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS

post #4 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

wicked. subscribed.

If you never planned on mounting stuff on a hard topped shell like a tent or what not, why not just a tonneau/duster cover? Grab some tub rails and call her done.

If i ever get a chance to do this, i would probably make both ends open up, and keep the family rollbar idea in it (or a variant thereof) for a roof top tent to perch on. It would require another back end of a YJ (from the body seam back).open ended tailgates on either side and simply repurpose a tonneau cover. Unsure how much you want to get involved on this project, but that is a pretty slick and functional option.

Love the idea on you keeping the gas tank. Functional space saver.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are rear tub sections available that could be either spot welded to the front, welded, screwed, glued, ect.

Having 200 lbs of fuel behind the axle could make for some exciting handling characteristics. The axle is extra weight for not much benefit..
Most standard 5 lug trailer hubs are the same pattern as a YJ. 5x4.5"
Awesome and Azhunter1 like this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #6 of 26 Old 05-30-2020, 11:47 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You could grab some rear corner patch panels and use them on the front and then drop a CJ tailgate in over the tongue side so you could access from both sides. Or slap the CJ gate on the back to serve as a table and move the YJ gate to the front. Or he’ll, fold down CJ gate on both ends. Would make it easy to access gear from both sides and give you extra “table” space when folded down.
Azhunter1 likes this.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #7 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 12:10 PM
GTS225

I gotta side with Bruin on this. Hit up a salvage yard for a wrecked YJ tub that you can cut the rear section off of. Get from the wheel wells back so that you can extend the front a touch. Weld it all together along with the tailgate up front. This might ultimately serve as a small camping box, if your hitting a 2-day trail.

Chris is right about the imbalance of that much fuel aft of the axle. You might want to stick with Jerries. At least you can move them around in the trailer..

Roger
post #8 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I like the idea of another rear section, but there are just no available YJ tubs out here. I'll take the suggestion to eventually get rid of the d35 and not put the gas tank on. I considered using my sport bar on it, but this was a rollover jeep and all the mount points have sheared bolts and are badly warped. My budget is somewhat limited so I need to keep new material cost down.

I did weld in a piece of angle near the floor board and roll the floor pan up to it. And had an idea. In the picture I put in a piece of card board where I am considering building a wood plank wall. It will bolt to the vertical section the roll bar bolts to and will be the main barrier all the way up to the tub. This will leave a void that can mount Jerry cans to. Sorry this is a bit low budget, but times are tough and I want to do something with the wrecked parts jeep I have.
Attached Thumbnails
20200531_154139_1590958387273.jpg  

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #9 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 03:15 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Build a top for it, but make it hinged in the middle. A top that opens from both ends, if you will. That will solve your issue of not being able to reach things.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 08:47 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

no need to apologize for being on a budget here... you know us - love to live vicariously through other members' wallets.

i would seriously consider utilizing the family rollcage if it can be had for cheap. can see it coming in plenty useful for mounting brackets and doo dads and equipment to. Grab some tub rails, and a tonneau cover for a top, figure out a way to secure it to your wood plank (maybe snaps?) and your good.
timatoe likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #11 of 26 Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8orBUST View Post
If I keep the D35 under it, I can use the emergency brake still.
This one got me thinking... r u talking E brake while driving or a brake to keep it in place while parked... like the old WWll Jeep trailers w/hand brake on the tongue?

Quote:
What, Sean thinking about cutting up the CJ already?
timatoe likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #12 of 26 Old 06-01-2020, 03:20 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
What, Sean thinking about cutting up the CJ already?
No we have the tub that came with the frame (that were separate in the field we got them from). He got a better tub and frame for $200, we only used the tub because we had already boxed and plated the original frame. We got a free DJ (mail jeep) from another field that we used the grill and windshield frame. So we have two mostly complete tubs and frames, but I think we're going to cut the DJ in half lengthwise and make an outdoor kitchen out of it for his backyard pool / patio area.
RockWoRM likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-04-2020, 08:25 AM
FergiesJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
There are rear tub sections available that could be either spot welded to the front, welded, screwed, glued, ect.

Having 200 lbs of fuel behind the axle could make for some exciting handling characteristics. The axle is extra weight for not much benefit..
Most standard 5 lug trailer hubs are the same pattern as a YJ. 5x4.5"

Fuel is only 6lbs pr gallon so with a 20 gallon tank its only 120 lbs.

I built one of these a while back for a guy, phone was destroyed or i would post a pic. what i felt after much debate was the best way was to buy a set of CJ tub corners for the front so you only had to fill in the light mount holes. you will have to trim the bottom of the sides near the door because they sit about 2 1/2" lower then the back. Then i cut a filler for the back part of the door.
Across the front we ended up filling in the step down because it became a catch all and was a pain. The front panel we used a piece of sheet metal to the rib height and to keep the contour of the top rail i welded in a piece of C channel and cut a strip of metal for the angle piece and welded it in.

We took it a step further and made a popup tent on top that flipped forward onto the tongue so the guy could still access the storage with person in tent downfall was i had to make the tongue longer.

I also did a tailgate conversion from swing out to drop down.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-04-2020, 01:02 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #15 of 26 Old 06-08-2020, 08:13 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sub'd!! I really want a camp trailer for my Jeep one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
This one got me thinking... r u talking E brake while driving or a brake to keep it in place while parked... like the old WWll Jeep trailers w/hand brake on the tongue?
Military Trailers have an e-brake handle for each hub, Its a fairly straight forward setup. I am sure one can be made with the existing hardware and transferred to a trailer specific axle.

I will agree with a center hinged top or maybe a drawer system depending what you have available. How tall do you plan on making the trailer or just keeping it level with the tub rails?
I'm very interested to see this progress!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in