YJ speedometer not working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
TealTank43
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ speedometer not working

I've got a 1994 yj and the speedometer no longer works. It first started a couple months ago when the speedo would sometimes work and then sometimes not, but now it never works. I have replaced the speed sensor in the back of the transfer case and i have replaced the gage cluster. Everything in the cluster works except for the speedo and the odometer. When i try to drive the jeep it will cut itself off when i downshift into first and slow down. Any suggestions on how to fix this??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Why J?

1993 YJ Wrangler 

check the speedo sensor wiring, sensor and gear. They are located in the tailhousing of the t case.

New Project "Pissed Wife"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are two or three different ways to clock the sensor/gear.
Try all three.
This is also why you are stalling when shifting into first and coming to a stop.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well first thing is to test the speedometer wiring to the front... easiest way is to remove the adapter and gear from the transfer case tail shaft housing. Then grab a drill and spin it with the key in the on position. If the speedometer reads then you need to clock it correctly when you put it back in. The adapter is on an eccentric. The gear in the transfer needs to mesh with the speedometer gear.

1998 ZJ 5.2 Auto

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Take a drill and spin the VSS and see if you get speed. It will only take you a couple minutes to try.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Joeymoesch1

I have a 1995 yj with a 4.0 5 speed. The tack wasn't working but the speedo was working,so I replaced the speedo cluster and replace the speed sensor in the transfer case. I Have power at the plug on the transfer case,the two outer wire at the plug, the center has no power. I have use a drill to ck to see if the Speedo is working and it's not. Also ck the gear in the transfer case and it seems to be working ok???? Any thoughts? Thanks Joey
post #7 of 13 Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymoesch1 View Post
I have a 1995 yj with a 4.0 5 speed. The tack wasn't working but the speedo was working,so I replaced the speedo cluster and replace the speed sensor in the transfer case. I Have power at the plug on the transfer case,the two outer wire at the plug, the center has no power. I have use a drill to ck to see if the Speedo is working and it's not. Also ck the gear in the transfer case and it seems to be working ok???? Any thoughts? Thanks Joey
When you used the drill did you have it in reverse?

Are you sure your speedo gear in the t-case is clocked correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Joeymoesch1

No I didnít!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 AM
Joeymoesch1

I’m still working on the Speedo, I have a 1995 yj with a 5 speed and a 4.0 the tack wasn’t working, the Speedo was. I replaced the cluster and the tack is working but the Speedo isn’t!
I replaced the speed sensor (from rock auto) I have power to the speed sensor. The orange/white wire has 4.9 volts, the orange wire has 7.4 volts. I’m at a loss!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Joey post up a new thread rather then dig up this old one. Chances are you just need to clock the speedo to make contact with the gear. The easiest way to test it is to remove the speedo and hook it up to a drill with the key on and spin it. If you get speed on the gauge you didnt have it clock correctly to engage the speedo gear.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

What Que said. You may also want to check the contacts and ribbon circuit on your cluster. They start to get problematic after a quarter century or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #12 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you look on the sensor next to each notch for the lock are numbers that correspond to the tooth number of the gear. The spot with the nuber range that has your gear should match up with where the metal lock bar locks it facing you. Dont ask how I learned this but it makes all the difference in the world. You can go by feel. It could bind and destroy a plastic gear. Again dont ask
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2020, 01:29 AM
drricky

On the passenger side of the motor there is a ground screw comming out of the block toward the firewall end of motor,,,there is also ans electrical connector right there ,I do not remember exactly how many pins but you will know when you see it..I found that my speedometer was jumping all over the place and that that connection right there had been bouncing on that ground bolt sticking out of the motor and had worn a little spot in the wire..I used a wire tie and pulled the connection away from the ground bolt and all my speed problems went away..dont forget to tape up the wire... Also I remember my 4 wheel light was on in my dash, just saying it worth a look... usually if you have a clock spring issue the horn does not work and you can not usually turn on the cruze control..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in