YJ Shackle, Springs, Bushings Frustration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Shackle, Springs, Bushings Frustration

Hey folks,
My '95 YJ is getting a bit old and I am starting to go through and give it a bit of a face lift. Currently I am focusing on the shackles and the leaf springs.
Current configuration:
Leaf Spring: SkyJacker 3.5" lift military wrap springs
Shackles: Stock

I purchased some boomerang greaseable shackles. As I was installing them I found that the military wrap springs do not fit between the center bolt and the spring bolt on the shackle. FML.
Couple of options.
1. Install shackle without center bolt. I am not sure how big of a risk this is to the overall strength of the shackle itself. Has anyone done this?
2. Get another set of shackles. Open to any recommendations...
3. Get new springs.... expensive and a pain in the a.
4. I have even heard about just cutting off the military wrap... I feel like this would be like not wearing a hardhat to work... the day you do it is the day something falls on your head.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!!

Last edited by J33PitR34L; 02-17-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 01:06 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your spring shackle bushings are probably shot and worn or were overtightened.

Unless you are saying the milwrap leaf is wider than the remainder of the leaves? Or do you mean the center bolt is offset too far to make space for two eyes?

Something doesn’t compute.
Pics?

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Your spring shackle bushings are probably shot and worn or were overtightened.

Unless you are saying the milwrap leaf is wider than the remainder of the leaves? Or do you mean the center bolt is offset too far to make space for two eyes?

Something doesn’t compute.
Pics?

Yes the bushings are completely shot. I have purchased new ones already.
The center bolt is offset too far to make space for the two eyes. The milwrap comes into contact with the center bolt. Ill try to get some photos uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
20200217_141341.jpg   20200217_141347.jpg   20200217_141359.jpg  

post #4 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 02:00 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well the center bolt should be offset towards the frame. Unless I’m not seeing that right on my phone it doesn’t appear that way?

The bolt should be positioned such that it resists shackle inversion in off road situations. It Is supposed to hit the frame preventing bending of the spring.

Am I seeing that right?

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You beat me to it. Flip the shackles around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #6 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Well the center bolt should be offset towards the frame. Unless I’m not seeing that right on my phone it doesn’t appear that way?

The bolt should be positioned such that it resists shackle inversion in off road situations. It Is supposed to hit the frame preventing bending of the spring.

Am I seeing that right?
I have tried flipping the shackle as well and in this case the frame is to wide to access the center bolt. I have attached a couple more photos and an image of how I have attempted it.
Ideally I would be able to install it the way it describes on the instruction sheet but when installed this way the milwrap gets in the way of the center bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
20200217_153312.jpg   20200217_153335.jpg   Screenshot_20200217-153733_Drive.jpg  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you had those rear shackles oriented correctly the first time.

Mil wrap springs do this. They interfere with boomerang shackles center bolts. I cleanly tapered off the actual spring and cut it on the shackle side front and rear to keep my center bolt. Left the milwrap for the frame end.

Pick you poison... either get different shackles, cut the mil wrap at the shackle end, or run it with no center bolts. If you're not hardcore and into extreme terrain riding - you wont miss the center bolts.

That said - the mil wrap ends SHOULD work for the front oriented boomerang shackles as the elbow in them is on the top side.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 12:44 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33PitR34L View Post
4. I have even heard about just cutting off the military wrap... I feel like this would be like not wearing a hardhat to work... the day you do it is the day something falls on your head.

Thanks!!
Maybe bruinjeeper is saying the same thing, but you can cut the mil wrap half way and still keep the mil wrap. I used to have a pic but it's long gone. Anyway, you simply cut the front of the wrap @ the middle (or back depending on which spring your doing) Instead of a full loop on the spring you end up with half of a loop. This will let it clear the booms. If the main breaks, there is still a half loop of the second spring for the weight of the Jeep to sit on. I just used a cut off wheel and it is a quick job. Hope this makes sense.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J33PitR34L View Post

Thanks!!
Maybe bruinjeeper is saying the same thing, but you can cut the mil wrap half way and still keep the mil wrap. I used to have a pic but it's long gone. Anyway, you simply cut the front of the wrap @ the middle (or back depending on which spring your doing) Instead of a full loop on the spring you end up with half of a loop. This will let it clear the booms. If the main breaks, there is still a half loop of the second spring for the weight of the Jeep to sit on. I just used a cut off wheel and it is a quick job. Hope this makes sense. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Yep ^

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Yep ^
Great! I think this makes total since. I think Ill give cutting the spring a shot. Worse case I need to buy a new spring. I think the shackles should work great since I didnt want bigger ones which would give more of a lift than I am after. If you happen by those photos of how you cut yours that would be great! Ill try to see what I can find on google also.
Thanks for the responses folks I really appreciate it!
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2020, 12:38 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, those pics were on Image shack and long gone. That and I don't have the YJ anymore. But it's really not that bad to do. Heck, I didn't even square a line… just eyeballed it and it came out fine. You could even cut the loop off @ 2/3 if ya want. Ya just need enough to clear the cross bolt. But I though half looked good, tho.
Not that I was the first, way back when, to do this, but I just copied the RE ED design at the time. They had full mil wrap for the frame end, and a half wrap @ the shackle. And since my BDS were full's, I figured why can't I do what RE did. Worked out fine and never had an issue with them.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in