YJ Rear Seat Relocation for tall passengers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ Rear Seat Relocation for tall passengers

I saw this write up while looking up how to mod the rear seat location on the YJ. All my friends are 6'2 or taller and we all love jeeps and refuse to get a 4 door hummer jeep lol I want to post this here in hopes that other forum members can share their ways of pushing the backseat further back for more legroom (PICS INCLUDED lol)

"By CrazyHorse6 @ militaryjeepers.com

Default CJ / YJ Rear seat relocation

Nothing special but I thought I'd share. I wanted more leg room for people in the back seat but still wanted a little storage behind the seat for gear, jack, etc so I decided to move my rear seat back. These instructions are for a 87-95 YJ tub, but it can be done on a CJ7 tub as well. The difference between the YJ and CJ tubs for this mod is that the YJ tub's have a 2nd row of threaded holes 5 1/2" behind the first row of seat mounts. The CJ7 tubs don't have this, so you will need to use two angled steel reinforcements. This will hopefully make more sense later on....

Supplies:
I went to lowes and picked up a piece of angled steel - don't recall the exact thickness but I think it was 1/8". I also got all new grade 8 hex head bolts to mount the seat frame to the bed and for the seat belt tie downs. I also picked up a few nuts that I later welded onto the angled steel. These will become the rear seat mount holes. I also picked up a step drill to make the holes.

Steps:
This was the most difficult and time consuming part -dropping the gas tank. I planned ahead and waited until I was almost out of gas so I didn't have to mess with a heavy tank or draining fuel. Once the tank was down, I cleaned all the gunk away from the underside of the bed so I had a clean working surface. I then measured the position of where I wanted my seat. This took some decision, but ultimately I slid the seat back as far as it would go to a point where I could still mount my high lift jack behind the seat and still close the rear door. This ended up being about 5 1/2" back. Since there was a nice set of threaded holes already there, why not use them. I marked the position of my new holes and started drilling. Once all my holes were in place, I measured the width (from wheel well to wheel well) of my working area beneath the bed and cut the angled steel to the appropriate width. (As a side note, if you don't have a lot of clearance between the underside of the bed and the top of the gas tank, you might have to rip one length of the angled steel to give yourself more clearance - I think I had to take off about 1/2" on mine. I was using the original CJ7 tank with a YJ tub)

I then tack welded the angled steel into place underneath the bed and then extended the holes that I had made previously in the bed all the way through the steel. I then welded grade 8 nuts onto the backside of the angled steel. That way I can temporarily remove the seat later on if necessary without having to drop the gas tank to put it all back together.

With the angled steel welded to the underside of the tub and grade 8 nuts welded onto the steel, I was ready to position the seat and begin installing the bolts. If you have the YJ tub, the thread pitch and size for the front row of seat mounting bolts are the same as the original hardware. If you have the CJ tub, you'll need install a second piece of angled steel to serve as your front foundation.

I'll work on verifying the size and length bolts I used and update the thread.

I used high lift jack mounts to mount the jack to the top of the wheel wells behind the seat. There is just enough room even with the 3 point seat belts.

The first picture is the seat in the original spot.
Second picture is the underside of the tub/bed where I installed the angled steel.
Third picture is the seat in the new location.
Fourth picture shows just how far back the rear seat is. Even with the kid car seat, the back of the car seat didn't hit the soft top window when zipped in."

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4 cyl 2.5L TBI // 5 spd man
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-11-2018, 06:00 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Word of warning. The seat was already moved back when I bought my YJ. Didnít really notice or think about it much the grandkids and their car seats fit well. The problem came when a larger nephew rode in the back seat. The seat was moved back so the top of the seat was almost touching the window, this put his head uncomfortably resting against the glass with the top on. The seat moved back works well with the top off, not so well with a hard top on. The other issue is the seat belt should strap angle isnít as good as it should be with the seat moved back.
Just my experience.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobracing View Post
Word of warning. The seat was already moved back when I bought my YJ. Didn’t really notice or think about it much the grandkids and their car seats fit well. The problem came when a larger nephew rode in the back seat. The seat was moved back so the top of the seat was almost touching the window, this put his head uncomfortably resting against the glass with the top on. The seat moved back works well with the top off, not so well with a hard top on. The other issue is the seat belt should strap angle isn’t as good as it should be with the seat moved back.
Just my experience.
Interesting. How do you think it would fair with a soft top and lap seat belts ? Also do you have any current pics of the relocated brackets of your rear seat ?

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4 cyl 2.5L TBI // 5 spd man
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms

post #4 of 4 Old 03-13-2018, 10:17 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Closest picture I have of the seat. You can see the seat back is very close to the tailgate.
As for soft top, never had one on this rig so I can't say how it would work.
I've since removed the backseat and all the hardware but still trying to figure out a frame work that would slide in and out if more than two people want to go.
Not sure this body had a seat from the factory, I don't see an extra set of holes and whoever put the seat in might have been guessing at where it went. All the mounts were just bolts thru the floor with washers on the back side, no big fish plates or anything more.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0753.jpg  

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in