YJ rear driveshaft/pinion angle - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
WonkytheJeep

YJ rear driveshaft/pinion angle

Greetings Jeepers.

My beloved '87 YJ build (I didn't do the work, AMC 360 V8 & AX15) has spun off her rear driveshaft by busting the U Joints because the pinion angle from the transfer case to to the rear dif is way a lot. My new mechanic is telling me I need a yolk slip eliminator kit installed in the transfer case and a CV style driveshaft w/ a slip yolk.

Of course I've been quoted a few thousand to do this work. God help me. I'm a single science teacher who is in over her head. I just use this jeep as a back up vehicle when my truck needs maintenance. I need advice (and likely just a commuter car).

1. What do you think the value of this jeep is if I just patch her back together with new U joints & leave the wonky rear driveshaft as is?

2. What do you think the value of this jeep is if I have the above work completed?

3. Are there any other options I might have to fix this?

4. Anyone looking to purchase a YJ? Sob.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Wonky.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 02:21 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkytheJeep View Post
Greetings Jeepers.

My beloved '87 YJ build (I didn't do the work, AMC 360 V8 & AX15) has spun off her rear driveshaft by busting the U Joints because the pinion angle from the transfer case to to the rear dif is way a lot. My new mechanic is telling me I need a yolk slip eliminator kit installed in the transfer case and a CV style driveshaft w/ a slip yolk.

Of course I've been quoted a few thousand to do this work. God help me. I'm a single science teacher who is in over her head. I just use this jeep as a back up vehicle when my truck needs maintenance. I need advice (and likely just a commuter car).

1. What do you think the value of this jeep is if I just patch her back together with new U joints & leave the wonky rear driveshaft as is?

2. What do you think the value of this jeep is if I have the above work completed?

3. Are there any other options I might have to fix this?

4. Anyone looking to purchase a YJ? Sob.

THANK YOU!!!!!
As a science teacher, I am confident you are over qualified to install an SYE Kit. I just did one on my kids jeep and its very straightforward.

Here is a link to a very good video on how to do it:

The SYE will run you less than $300 Link: https://www.quadratec.com/products/52237_99_07.htm

If you buy a new chain, new pads, new front output bearing, and 2 quarts of ATF, you are all in about $380 with tax and shipping etc.

A new rear CV drive shaft will run you a couple hundred: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rough-co...gler-yj-5078.1

so all told, a weekend and about $600-$700.

This will add some value to your jeep. I'm not sure what YJ prices are in your area, but it's easy enough to look at Craigslist etc. and establish a baseline for similar vehicles.

Around here, That jeep pre-fixed would be about $6000.00, with the fix, $7000-8000. So Cal is crazy tho.
bruinjeeper likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 02:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Damn.

I'd purchase that YJ if i were in your neck of the woods.

a few thousand to install a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft? That's absurd! Horrendously absurd! Have you asked around at all? You can purchase the parts yourself... many folk here can assist with that cart.

I would fix it and keep it.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #4 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would find a new, new mechanic because that guy is trying to rip you off. What damage was done to the driveshaft? From the photo it looks like you already have a transfer case drop installed and if your driveshaft angles are even close to correct you should be able to stay with a slip yoke. It might be better if you installed a u-bolt yoke on the axle if the straps are giving you problems. Any photos of what the damage looked like? Was the TC damaged at all?

EDIT: I was thinking a little more and he might be pushing to just buy and install a reman unit. Thats the only way I could see a price in the thousands.
timatoe likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 07:39 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here it goes, yes it needs a SYE and a new driveshaft. Then it will need to have the rear end either shimmed or have the rear spring perches re welded to get the driveshaft in line with the transfer case. Few thousand sure. You are paying someone else to do the job.
From what I read you are looking to get rid of it. You will regret it but what ever.
Get a new driveshaft and put it up for sale. Let the new buyer know about the problems you had and wash your hands of it.
Put it up for sale for what ever you bought it for.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-28-2021, 08:46 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Ok here it goes, yes it needs a SYE and a new driveshaft. Then it will need to have the rear end either shimmed or have the rear spring perches re welded to get the driveshaft in line with the transfer case. Few thousand sure. You are paying someone else to do the job.
From what I read you are looking to get rid of it. You will regret it but what ever.
Get a new driveshaft and put it up for sale. Let the new buyer know about the problems you had and wash your hands of it.
Put it up for sale for what ever you bought it for.
Why "must" it have a sye? The way it is used doesn't warrant the expense of a fixed yoke and even with shims on the springs 2k+ is way to much for the job.
I do agree that if its for sale just do what is needed to get it gone.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 03:25 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The lift is moderate, as Jim pointed out there appears to be a tcase drop.

If that is the case (and I know all YJs are different) but this isn't really near extreme territory to warrant anything that was posted.

It was probably just time for that ujoint to go? Maybe, again as Jim stated, the straps were loose or worn? We need to see any carnage photos to determine what is what.

But 1 thing is clear, the mechanic is taking advantage of a lady with an old jeep who doesn't quite seem confident in the mechanics of her jeep. $20 in BTC says this mechanic is a bit of a scumbag?

Please post under carriage photos.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
WonkytheJeep

WonkytheJeep

Thank you to all who have replied!

I went ahead and had my girl hauled home this morning. Do I want to sell her? NO.. I will just have a HUGE learning curve. And I appreciate your encouragement. I've taught high school physics, so maybe there's hope for me to turn a few of my own wrenches?

Alas, the carnage:
Attached Images

post #9 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 03:37 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It may just be the photos but the angles look mismatched to me. ?

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 04:12 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

so does the exhaust

You're right Cas - the angles are mismatched for a regular driveshaft.

SYE and a new driveshaft and a careful step by step walk through on this thread on a Saturday and you'd be back on the road for $600!

It's a real clean jeep, would hate to let it go just because of this small bump in the road.

post #11 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
WonkytheJeep

Yep. Pinion angle is WAY too great (in a bad way). Driveshaft beat the heck out of the floor and exhaust before letting go. I had to do the walk of shame & pick it up out of the middle of the road. (Excuse me, that's mine, thank you). I'll deal with the muffler once I get her back on the road.

Am I good to just order a SYE and CV driveshaft for a YJ (I've heard Tom Woods), or do I have some measuring to do?

Thanks again!!
post #12 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
WonkytheJeep

I've also read that people need the following:

Adjustable upper control arms
Rear track bar relocation bracket
Shock relocation brackets

I honestly don't even know what these are. Do I need them for an '87 YJ? Don't laugh. I'm learning.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 05:10 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well done on the driveline demolition! I love the enthusiasm that the f/12 bring when trying to help out but I would like to ask everyone to slow down for a second and proceed with some caution.
The first thing we need to ask is how comfortable is Wonky with a more advanced project? How is your available working space and tool setup look like Wonky? If your ok doing brake jobs and oil changes and have a space in the garage to do it then its not a hard task, however if your not sure how to change tires it will be a challenge.
I agree that the axle yoke angle looks like its set for a SYE but it might just be the angle of the photo. If your not sure a SYE is a project you want to tangle with but still want to upgrade to a better system I would encourage you to look around your town and close by for a dedicated 4x4 shop to get a quote from for the installation. If you don't have a 4x4 shop then a transmission shop or driveline place will also do. Get a price from a few places and see if its worth it to do.
If you just want thing to go back to how they were before the crazy flailing I would call a custom drive line builder like Tom Woods and talk to them. The fast and easy path to get it back on the road would be a new OEM stile driveshaft that is slightly longer to give you better spline engagement at the transfer case. The nice thing about a replacement driveshaft like the one that failed is how easy it will be to install it and go.
One other thing that make what I just said invalid is if your tail housing on the transfer case is damaged?
Here is a link to Tom Woods tech page on driveshaft angles if you would like to read it.
https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-te...veshaft-angles
post #14 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 05:19 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep. Pinion angle is WAY too great (in a bad way). Driveshaft beat the heck out of the floor and exhaust before letting go. I had to do the walk of shame & pick it up out of the middle of the road. (Excuse me, that's mine, thank you). I'll deal with the muffler once I get her back on the road.

Am I good to just order a SYE and CV driveshaft for a YJ (I've heard Tom Woods), or do I have some measuring to do?

Thanks again!!
If you would like you can on the SYE and the driveshaft should be pretty standard.

Quote:
I've also read that people need the following:

I honestly don't even know what these are. Do I need them for an '87 YJ? Don't laugh. I'm learning.
On a YJ or leaf spring suspension you use degree shims or the axle spring pad to adjust the caster/angle of the axle so you wont need control arms.
most people just remove the track bars but if your in an inspection state you might need it and then a relocation would be a good idea.
your shocks should be fine in just about stock length unless your finding that they limit articulation off-road or over extend on bumps on-road. If they do a slightly longer shock is all that is needed.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Sty181
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The above are not needed to do a SYE conversion . They are only needed when you install a spring lift. I would install the SYE first then measure for the proper length of drive shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in