YJ Offroad Advice, Tricks, and Techniques - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 PM
daddyusmaximus

I'm a wimp when it comes to off roading. I like to be challenged, but it's always slow and steady for me. I 100% agree with that guy who said "smooth". Same goes for snow on the road, smooth. I have messed up discs in my back and neck, so if it's too fast for my back, it's too fast for my vehicle. That "slow as possible, fast as necessary" is spot on. When going slow, it's easier to look at the ground and figure out what each part of the trail will do to the suspension. Watch others first, and you'll learn to see where to place your tires so that you don't roll it, or get hung up. I love lockers. Air lockers rule! They are expensive as all hell, but the best mod you can do. ALWAYS stop when she starts to bounce, unless you hate your u-joints axles, and driveshafts.

Locker love video with my old 9K pound truck. Steep hill at the Badlands. Too slippery and not enough traction. My son is filming. After he says "Nope. Not gonna happen." you see me back down a bit. That's when I hit both lockers and walked her right up. Had to use my truck as a winch anchor to get my buddies lockerless CJ5 up.

You know what I like about most people?
Their dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 11-04-2016, 06:56 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
You don't have to be a hippy tree hugger to show some respect for the Earth and other people. wtf is wrong with people??!
Can think of two good reasons... ones upbringing and alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
otherwise you will end up packing the kitchen sink...
what... did someone mention Joe Dillard?
If he see's this... he'll prolly post a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Smooth.
Smooth everything.
Smooth suspension...
hmmm, sounds like an excellent reason to buy an LJ.

and to keep this on topic...
as for tips, and this is YJ specific... when off roading, disconnect the sway bars and trac bars (if you still have them)

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #33 of 35 Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Join a 4x4 club and go on rides with them. You get a LOT of real time info, and they will keep you out of trouble in the process. There are a lot of club choices in the DFW area.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 35 Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
I'm a wimp when it comes to off roading. I like to be challenged, but it's always slow and steady for me. I 100% agree with that guy who said "smooth". Same goes for snow on the road, smooth......snip.
Smooth is a key word in many motorsports. During my time as a motorcycle track day instructor we focused on teaching Novice Group riders to be smooth. Just like smooth gets a 4X4 through the rough stuff, smooth makes a rider get around the track quicker. Smooth cannot be overstated as an important element.
post #35 of 35 Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Theman1945

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not to revive a dead thread, but I learned quite a bit about wheeling on sand yesterday, and I figured I'd add some more to this collection of information everyone's contributed more than their $0.02 to!

Sand:
As stated by a few previously, be sure to air down tires to aid in traction to the sand. Also, after your finished, be sure to wash it all off and give any zerk fittings a nice helping of grease to push out any sand that got in there. Also as stated previously, be weary of shifting sands.

When climbing dunes or any hill with very sandy soil, only go straight up. Attempting to climb up at an angle + loosing traction + loosing speed = rolling your way back down.

When riding lengthwise/across dunes, do so at speed. The same ideas goes with going up dunes at an angle; slow speeds will lead to loosing traction and sliding, and will lead to a roll.

If you start to loose speed and traction while riding lengthwise across a dune, or start sliding, turn down the dune.
This helps to regain traction and increase speed to recover from your current state. Turning uphill only adds to slowing down and loosing traction, and will help start a slide.

Be careful going up and over dunes. The other side may be a plateau/shelf, or may be a drop. Good luck getting un-stuck if you find yourself high-center over the crown of a dune (and were still lucky enough not to start a sand slide)

Finally, use a orange safety "sand/dune/baja" flag, and if possible, put it on the front of your jeep. This is the only way to really give another person a brief warning that there's someone else on the other side of the dune they were just about to cross.

my 1988 YJ is in a love-hate relationship

Tags
advice , offroad , offroading , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in