YJ Newbie Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Grognard
1995 ZJ 

YJ Newbie Questions

Hello all...

After some extensive searching and begging to my wife, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a 93 Sahara 5-Spd with a softtop. Not the prettiest Jeep in the world but mechanically didn't seem to be too bad. The engine seems to be good to go and what really turned the scales was the clutch and tranny seemed nice and tight for a Jeep with 130K miles. The paint is fading out on the hood and the front windshield has a crack but it's nothing that Maaco and a good auto glass shop can't take care of.

She is pretty much stock except for having a little bit larger tire (I assume) than stock. She has Cooper Discoverer A/T 235's right now but the spare is a Goodyear 215. Did the 215 come stock on the Sahara's? Also, the rims seem to be the stock Jeep rims and I believe they are the 15X7's, am I correct?? Are those rims called Canyon rims by chance?? Either way, I will probably need to upgrade to 15X8's to put a 31 or 32 on the Jeep later down the road... right? Also, without having to pull the differential apart, was the stock gearing for the 93 models a 3.53 or something lower? I haven't been able to nail that down and I am hoping that I don't have to totally regear to run a 31" tire.

Other than taking a couple days to wash and clean up, there seems to be no rust and no major leaks so I am a happy camper. The original softtop was on it and it was totally thrashed so I am going to need to replace that. The factory hardware all seems to be in good shape but I keep hearing that a Bestop Supertop is the way to go. Any suggestions?? The Bestop RAT is alot cheaper, what does the Supertop give me that a factory replacement wouldn't?

I have looked over quite a few threads on the board and other places so I have some mods in mind to put on my Jeep. Swaybar disco's will probably be first since I can do that myself and I would like to put a lift on it but I am still torn between a 2.5" or 4". Due to cost concerns, I am leaning towards a 2.5" and running 31's. That should give me a little added off-road capibility without having to replace my driveline, right?

Someday down the road, I would like to put an 8.8 axle into this sucker and really go for broke with at least a rear locker and all the other nice trimmings but I need to take baby steps right now so any suggestions on improving my Jeep on a somewhat limited budget would be welcomed.

I am really looking forward to being part of the Jeep club and I am really glad that this forum is here to learn from.

Thanks!

Grognard

1993 YJ Sahara, 5-Spd, I-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 09:01 PM
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club.

I myself just purchased a YJ last Saturday.

1995 2.5 I4
2.5" tuff Country Lift
31 x 10.5 BFG Mud T KM's on AR wheels
Not so good a shape soft top, but all in all I stole this jeep for $2,000.00 bitter divorce situation dudes x-wife is a phsyco.

Slashed his top the day he bought it, stabbed him, slashed three of 5 tires one week after purchase.

Guy just wanted the headache to go away and needed 2k to put down on a new car - plus he moved so she can't find him now.

Jeep is easily worth 4-5,000 as is. only 159,000 km's (about 99k miles).

This week I removed the soft top, put on a safari bikini just tonight.

Still awaiting the arrival of the windjammer / and the duster.

*** I would recommend that you do what I did an immediate tune up / and oil change.

Cap / rotor
air / oil / fuel filter
plugs
plug wires
oil change

check the radiator fluid to make sure it is suitable for the upcoming summertime temperatures..
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Peppy

Welcome to the world of Jeeps. You will never have to worry about what to do with your spare change again, because there won't be any after paying for all the jeep stuff.

After years of jeep-envy I just purchased a 1994 YJ about a month ago. So, I don't have too many answers yet.

I do know that there may be a tag on the differential that will help you determine what your axle ratio is. Mine has a tag on the rear diff. where the cover bolts on. It is barley legible, but I could make out the numbers 307 on it. Since 3.07 was a stock ratio offered on some YJ's, I am assuming mine has 3.07's front and back. So, I will be in the market for a gear swap when I finally get the 33's and lift that I want.

The first mod that I am making to my YJ is the addition of a winch and good recovery hooks. I figure when my lack of ground clearance gets me in trouble, I'll just winch myself out of the situation.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Grognard
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down
Welcome to the club.

I myself just purchased a YJ last Saturday.

1995 2.5 I4
2.5" tuff Country Lift
31 x 10.5 BFG Mud T KM's on AR wheels
Not so good a shape soft top, but all in all I stole this jeep for $2,000.00 bitter divorce situation dudes x-wife is a phsyco.

Slashed his top the day he bought it, stabbed him, slashed three of 5 tires one week after purchase.

Guy just wanted the headache to go away and needed 2k to put down on a new car - plus he moved so she can't find him now.

Jeep is easily worth 4-5,000 as is. only 159,000 km's (about 99k miles).

This week I removed the soft top, put on a safari bikini just tonight.

Still awaiting the arrival of the windjammer / and the duster.

*** I would recommend that you do what I did an immediate tune up / and oil change.

Cap / rotor
air / oil / fuel filter
plugs
plug wires
oil change

check the radiator fluid to make sure it is suitable for the upcoming summertime temperatures..

You got a really great deal on your Jeep... too bad it came at the other guys expense but at least you made out with a great deal! Psycho women are why I keep my wife in my good graces and don't tick her off. She is cool with the Jeep for now and likes to ride in it but I really have to be creative with saving money for aftermarket mods and not raise any red flags.

I got mine for $3500 which I felt was a good deal since most anything else that had a 4.0L cost over $5K and some of those had some kind of mechanical problem. The previous owner bought it new and took pretty good care of it... except for the sun scorched paint on the hood and softtop. I guess he used it as a daily driver and to go to the golf course because I found a bunch of golf tees under the carpets.

I already changed the oil and replaced the manual tranny fluid but the plugs, rotor, cap, and wires all looked good. I pulled each plug out for inspection and they all looked to be in good condition with no traces of oil blow-by or any other plug warning signs. The engine is pretty grimy but I don't think he cleaned it since it was new. I will probably have it steam cleaned or something.

The nice thing about owning this Jeep is that there is always some project to work on and maybe I will always be broke, but at least I will be happy!

Grognard

1993 YJ Sahara, 5-Spd, I-6
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 11:38 PM
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks like your doing good so far by reading around first and using all of the pages and pages of backlogged info on jeepforum.

I would have to say this is the best forum out of all the others for newbies to learn. We generally pretty nice to each other and there is a ton of info that will help you with anything in here.

just remember search first and then ask
welcome to the empty pocket club, i got so hooked on jeeps I started my own 4x4 Fab shop!!! geez, it never ends..............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2004, 12:00 AM
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

$3500 is a good deal as well.
Funny story is I was looking for a car and this fell into my lap literally. Heard about this from my realestate agent, whom happened to sell these guys home.

If I knew how to link to another post you could see what I had to say about this jeep when I first obtained it.

Basically took me 10 hours of cleaning the interior just to be able to drive it, body in great shape / paint is faded, but looks like it will polish out, need some new seats unless I can get these ones cleaned up nicely.

Engine runs great, has had an after market exhaust added to it, but not sure what brand it is... other than what I have listed this jeep has not been abused.

I am so happy that I found this YJ, my wife hates RED though so that is a down side, but she likes Jeeps and it is only a matter of me saying let's ditch the kids and hit the canyons and she will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognard
You got a really great deal on your Jeep... too bad it came at the other guys expense but at least you made out with a great deal! Psycho women are why I keep my wife in my good graces and don't tick her off. She is cool with the Jeep for now and likes to ride in it but I really have to be creative with saving money for aftermarket mods and not raise any red flags.

I got mine for $3500 which I felt was a good deal since most anything else that had a 4.0L cost over $5K and some of those had some kind of mechanical problem. The previous owner bought it new and took pretty good care of it... except for the sun scorched paint on the hood and softtop. I guess he used it as a daily driver and to go to the golf course because I found a bunch of golf tees under the carpets.

I already changed the oil and replaced the manual tranny fluid but the plugs, rotor, cap, and wires all looked good. I pulled each plug out for inspection and they all looked to be in good condition with no traces of oil blow-by or any other plug warning signs. The engine is pretty grimy but I don't think he cleaned it since it was new. I will probably have it steam cleaned or something.

The nice thing about owning this Jeep is that there is always some project to work on and maybe I will always be broke, but at least I will be happy!

Back Road Jeepin

>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<>>
<<>>
<<
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2004, 06:23 AM
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

welcome to jeeps,

here's my id on your soft-top dilemma: if your factory hardware is in good shape, go with a replace a top, or a replace a top sailcloth. either way, stay with bestop, they have the best stuff.

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2004, 07:54 AM
MarathonScott

On your top:

I have both the supertop and the replace a top. The supertop is for a jeep without the original top frame, such as a jeep that came with a hardtop. The replace a top is to re-cover the original factory frame. IMHO, the replace a top is a better way to go. The original frame is much better than the supertop frame, especially when it comes to folding it down and storing.

Since you have a good factory frame, go for the RAT. Be sure to check on ebay for tops, thats where I got mine.

Scott
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2004, 07:56 AM
GreenReaper93

Welcome!

You should be ok running 31's on the stock rims. There will be some slight bluge, but nothing bad. You're running 3.07's in your axles. With the I6 you're sportin' you won't have much problem pushing around, but you'll definately lose 5th gear up almost any incline. Best bet if you want to regear would be to find some axles from a 2.5L auto or a 2.5L 5-speed. The auto has 3.73's and the 5-speed has 4.10's. As far as suspension goes...I'm personally running the Rough Country 3.5 lift and am happy with it. For $385 you can't beat what you get. If you plan to do some extensive wheeling, then I'd suggest you might want to buy some brake line extenders. I think Rusty's offroad website sells them for $10.

If the hardware's still good on the top, then just replace the cloth itself. I recently bought a supertop from Bestop (Great company) and am really pleased. It does cut down on some external noise, and the removal/install initially as well as dropping the top on a sunny day is very easy. Granted you're dishing out $500+ for the top and hardware ($600+ if you need the upper doors), but if you don't have the cash don't worry about it and just get what's affordable. Congrats on the jeep purchase! I'm still begging my wife for mod's every weekend, so the battle has just begun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in