• 1 Post By shaggyjim
  • 1 Post By Mr.B

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Donzshots
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ Lift Rear Ubolts

Anyone out there still have the Dana 35 on the rear of their wrangler... what is the diameter of the axle tube? I have small zone lift kit that came with 2.5in ubolts that will not fit the rear! It measures 2.62in. I have another Dana 35 I measured and it also is 2.62in... but yet Zone Offroad is telling me they have never had any issues installing their kit and the correct size is 2.5in. The small side of the Dana 30 on the front fits that. It can't be a coincidence I have 2 rear axles both at 2.62.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I remember having to adjust the U-bolts a little. I just took a hammer and vise and banged them to fit. Did not seem like a big deal, and something I expect with press formed parts like those. I did not actually measure anything.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Jeepsr4me

That amount is so small I would just press the Ubolt on and forget about it... It will stretch very easy and not cause any issues...

post #4 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

The rear U-Bolts are larger Diameter:

The Rubicon Express Kit has the Proper sizes you need; here are the details off the Morris 4x4 site: https://www.morris4x4center.com/u-bolts-rub-re2421.html

Important Notes:

Dana 35 Rear Axle
Fits:

1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Description:

Rubicon Express U Bolt kits contain 4 bolts with nuts and washers and are zink plated for corrosion resistance. Complete u-bolt kit for Dana 35 Rear Axle. U-bolts are clear zinc plated

Product Details:

Clear Zinc Plated
Dana 35 Rear Axle
Thread: 1/2"
Size: 2.625"x 6.5"
Parts Included:

(4) U-Bolts
(8) Washers
(8) Nuts
Years Covered:

1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001

You can BFH the wrong size on or get the correct size for the application. Up to you. I bought this U-Bolt Kit for my kids jeep and everything went smoothly.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You're not building a piano. Just use a little persuasion.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
That amount is so small I would just press the Ubolt on and forget about it... It will stretch very easy and not cause any issues...
Which is thicker, the U-Bolt or the Axle Tube? Which will give when force is applied while torquing the 4 bolts to the plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
You're not building a piano. Just use a little persuasion.
What happens if the U-Bolt breaks loose? What happens if the axle tube gets bent/cracked?

Yes, it's a jeep. If there were no more correct sized U-Bolts in the world, I say 2.5 is close enough, but the correct part is available. "you always have the time and money to do it right the second time."

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #7 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a place in town called The Spring Works that I go to and have them made. 9/16th super beef and done the right way to whatever size I need. Look around your town and I bet you will have 4x4 shop, RV place, or trailer shop that can make you some too.
Luuca likes this.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
post #8 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Donzshots
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Order up

Appreciate all the comments.

As much as I would enjoy beating the crap out of the bolts at this point to make them fit I am going to order the bolts and have them fit properly. Just pisses me off that the kit does not include the correct ones or the company will not honor and exchange for the correct ones. Should have known better than deal with fleabay anyway!

As a matter of fact I am going to put the stock ones for now since I am going to replace the rear axle anyway.
The other 35 I have is built out as a super 35 with 30 splines and a detroit locker with disc conversion which I am going to sell to offset some of the cost of a 44 or 8.8 axle/locker setup and I am sure those will be different sized ubolts/plates anyway so will order then.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I have a place in town called The Spring Works that I go to and have them made. 9/16th super beef and done the right way to whatever size I need. Look around your town and I bet you will have 4x4 shop, RV place, or trailer shop that can make you some too.

Yeah, I had a local shop custom make my 8.8 bolts. Well it was about 30 miles away. It cost me about 2/3rds the cost of ordering online. And it only took them about 20 minutes.
shaggyjim likes this.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 03:09 AM
rja1766

My local NAPA had the right size for my 8.8 when I put on my new springs recently. They were a little long so had to cut off the excess. If I recall, they were about 7 -8 dollars per bolt/nut/washer.

1990 YJ
4.2L. 5 speed.
D30/8.8
4.5" RC lift
Durango steering box
33x10.5/15 General Grabber Red Letter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 03:48 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Yeah, I had a local shop custom make my 8.8 bolts. Well it was about 30 miles away. It cost me about 2/3rds the cost of ordering online. And it only took them about 20 minutes.
Where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember exactly. It was some machine shop off Power Inn Rd., in South Sac County. A couple of my neighbors that were into racing, recommended them.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #13 of 13 Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzshots View Post
...As much as I would enjoy beating the crap out of the bolts at this point to make them fit...
I was being somewhat facetious about using a big hammer. In fact, it is ridiculously easy to open these up. We're talking about 2.5" versus 2.63", so 1/16" difference in the radius of the bend.

Ridiculously easy as in, take a couple of pieces of 1/2" water pipe and slip over each leg of the bolt. Spring it apart slightly. Drop the bolt over your axle tube, put the pieces of pipe back on the legs and spring them together. The important part is that they have to fit the hole pattern in the original clamp plate, so you'll have a gauge. We're talking 2 minutes per bolt max.

I agree that sourcing bolts local is a great idea, but you bought a kit, so you already bought bolts that will work perfectly. This was such a nothingburger that I didn't even know the diameters were slightly different. Just dealt with it, like lift kits always require a bit of.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!

Tags
dana 35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in