YJ hardtop - opinions? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
tlwatkins42

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
YJ hardtop - opinions?

Have a buddy with a 93' that is ready to kill his soft top and wants to do a hardtop. I just started looking but everything i am finding is about 1,800. Just curious if anyone has better options or if that's a pretty common pricing. Also, wherever you guys have gotten them would be another good lead. We are in central Tennessee and i don't know of any jeep specific shops right around our neighborhood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What in the holy hell.

I gotta get an importer exporter license.

Working solely with YJ and CJ hardtops. I can grab 4 for free right now. Glass in tact

I've been on this topic of US hardtop pricing for a while now. I can tell you you could find them cheaper than 1800 down there (albeit still crazily inflated).

Is that price for used craigslist top? Or a brand new after market?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
tlwatkins42

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
might as well if you can get them that easy! those are brand new. I haven't even looked at other options. Just wanted to see what the community thought. I know in the past i've seen them as low as like 500, but my buddy has really only put brand new part on his rig because he is planning onto keeping it until it just fully dies.

post #4 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:33 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its fiberglass. A little scuff. A little paint. And it's brand new.

Saving 1300 on an item such as this gives 1300 dollars to put toward keeping it from dying.

Man. $500 is STILL high to me. Absurd.

post #5 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
tlwatkins42

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
It's an easy market down here man. I hate to say it, but there are so many that WILL pay for the 1800 dollar part. My grand wagoneer's motor, clean up included, can be built for 1800. So i don't get it myself. I'll look around and see what i can find. I know he is wanting it to be black, so that would not be hard to paint at all if we went down that route. I'll post a little later this week with what i find.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 07:28 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Its fiberglass. A little scuff. A little paint. And it's brand new.
Bingo! I actually just finished fixing a purdy good rock rash I got on the Pickle slicer in Moab last trip. Tiny bit of filler, primer, texture, paint. Done.

I would expect a YJ HT in good shape to be in the 500+ range, but I suppose everything is going up. I wonder if the aftermarket places still make knock offs??
I do know the LJ HT commands a much greater price simply b/c it's less common.
Awesome likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #7 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:27 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ / CJ hardtops here go for a grand plus pretty easy. Buddy bought a CJ7 with a hardtop and a soft top and but the hardtop on CL and FB for $1,400 and sold it within a couple hours to the first guy to call. I thought I was asking a lot at $700 when I sold mine, no wonder the guy that bought it was giddy.

Personally, I'd just get another soft top and call it good. Unless he's the type that never drops the top and has no plans of taking the hardtop off. I only pulled the hardtop off in the spring and put it back on in the fall and that was too much for me without a good place to store it and having to call friends to come help get it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:29 PM
67GMC

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah-Doesn't make sense to us in Canada. I see old hard tops all the time (even in backyards). They usually go for under $200. It must be because the Jeeps up here were normally ordered as factory hard tops but in the US, they order factory soft tops.

'84 FSJ Wagoneer-5.9L/'88 GMC Sierra - 5.0L/'89 Jeep YJ Islander-4.2L /'97 VW Cabrio 2.0L 5-Spd
post #9 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 08:52 PM
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
I just searched local for me. $275 for a ratty one, $475 for a nice one. I think if you can wait it out an affordable used one will turn up locally.

Big Ugly cJ8 build in progress

Jeep Air

post #10 of 32 Old 04-05-2021, 09:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GMC View Post
Yeah-Doesn't make sense to us in Canada. I see old hard tops all the time (even in backyards). They usually go for under $200. It must be because the Jeeps up here were normally ordered as factory hard tops but in the US, they order factory soft tops.
I think it's because canadian winters kill jeep frames... but not fiberglass.

I think we have an at least 120:1 ratio (totally scientific) of hard tops to CJ/YJ's on the road. Hence, it's been in a field for 15 years and people just want it gone after they decided to finally pull out the weed whacker and trim down the tall grass in that far corner of their lot, revealing the hardtop perfrctly preserved in raccoon terd.

Also, as aforementioned, probably most Canadian versions of YJs didnt come with A/C due to our climate. They just figured we'd take off the top and doors for the summer. You gotta remember back then, people weren't as spoiled. Non-AC was still pretty common. That generation of human was more honest. Just accepted it. Now creature comforts make it impossible to go back lol.

post #11 of 32 Old 04-06-2021, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
tlwatkins42

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
I think it's because canadian winters kill jeep frames... but not fiberglass.

I think we have an at least 120:1 ratio (totally scientific) of hard tops to CJ/YJ's on the road. Hence, it's been in a field for 15 years and people just want it gone after they decided to finally pull out the weed whacker and trim down the tall grass in that far corner of their lot, revealing the hardtop perfrctly preserved in raccoon terd.

Also, as aforementioned, probably most Canadian versions of YJs didnt come with A/C due to our climate. They just figured we'd take off the top and doors for the summer. You gotta remember back then, people weren't as spoiled. Non-AC was still pretty common. That generation of human was more honest. Just accepted it. Now creature comforts make it impossible to go back lol.
I understand it! all our vehicles don't have A/C, but we were raised that once it went out, it went out. lol. Being raised poor in the south teaches you the more important things. I've got tube doors and a turbo net-ish piece for my waggy. I don't need A/C at that point in mine!

But, i'll keep looking around. Where they are, they aren't far from the Georgia border, and i know he's got some friends down there that have seen some pieces around. We'll hold out for the summer time and see what we can find!
post #12 of 32 Old 04-06-2021, 08:49 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You have to look for a while and maybe be willing to drive. I bought a iron horse a few years ago for $50, paid $100 for the no-wiper one on my ‘89, and got the tan one I’m running right now on my ‘87 for $65.
I sold the iron horse for $65 but that was missing the rear window and had cobbed plexiglass on back.
The other hard tops went away at $350 each but you know what i am willing to pay for them. Could I have held out for more? Probably but they were cash turns and one of them bought me the second 120V Mig with a 40CF tank.

People may want $1800 but are the selling them? If you need one bad and it’s in great shape I’d count out $760 cash in 20s and one $100 bill in front of the seller and ask whoever’s with you to “borrow $40” and you might take it home?

If not you will not go hungry if you drive away.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 32 Old 04-06-2021, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
tlwatkins42

1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
definitely worth the risk of just checking around. Like i said up earlier in the post, we aren't willing to pay 1800 mainly because we laughed at that price. we paid 1800 for my first grand cherokee and got 300,000 miles out of it. I'm not spending that on just a top for a wrangler! I'm more just trying to figure out what to look for and what is a reasonable price for something that i probably will never buy again, mainly because i just don't like the wranglers. I like the bigger jeeps (currently a WK and a Grand Waggy) but i figured i'd help a buddy out since i'm on here. I'll do some digging this weekend and see what i can come across.
post #14 of 32 Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Jeepereno
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just sold the hardtop off of the wrecked 95 I bought for the drivetrain for $500 in Reno NV. It was busted up on the top left side where it connects to the windshield frame and had a good back window.

It was barely posted on craigslist, sold in two-three days at that price. The guy that bought it might have gotten it for $450 or so, I remember he was a nice guy and I wanted it gone trying to make room and didn't want to fix it.

But yeah I had no problem moving parts as long as somewhat reasonably priced. I have been talking about these things going up in price for a little while now, definitely seeing price increases in asking prices on lots of stuff almost to the point of making money just buying and parting jeeps on CL.
post #15 of 32 Old 04-06-2021, 10:24 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
You have to look for a while and maybe be willing to drive. I bought a iron horse a few years ago for $50, paid $100 for the no-wiper one on my ‘89, and got the tan one I’m running right now on my ‘87 for $65.
I sold the iron horse for $65 but that was missing the rear window and had cobbed plexiglass on back.
The other hard tops went away at $350 each but you know what i am willing to pay for them. Could I have held out for more? Probably but they were cash turns and one of them bought me the second 120V Mig with a 40CF tank.

People may want $1800 but are the selling them? If you need one bad and it’s in great shape I’d count out $760 cash in 20s and one $100 bill in front of the seller and ask whoever’s with you to “borrow $40” and you might take it home?

If not you will not go hungry if you drive away.
Based on your pricing...comparatively to other locations in your country.

It seems salt belt areas have cheaper hard top pricing, which correlates, at least in part, with my possible explanation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in