YJ Hard Top Wiring Harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
toenee90
1998 TJ Wrangler 

YJ Hard Top Wiring Harness

Well I finally found the Pin Outs for my YJ hardtop wiring harness and thought I would share. This is the 10 pin plug coming off of the hard top located near the rear driver’s side wheel well inside the vehicle.
I have tested and verified this on my 1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0l.

PIN: Wire Description: Purpose:
1 14g BR/OR Rear Defroster (+12V)
2 18g BK/WT Dome Lamp (GND)
3 18g PK Dome Lamp (+12V)
4 14g BR/WT & 14g GR Rear Wiper Park & Wiper Switch (+12V)
5 14g GR/WT Wiper Motor (+12V)
6 --
7 --
8 --
9 14g BR/WT Wiper Switch (+12V)
10 12g BK Wiper Motor (GND)

Unfortunately my jeep does not have any of the existing wiring harness to plug into my used hardtop. Here is my plan to make my own switches and wiring to run from the dash along the driver’s side to the hard-top wiring harness:
Because I don’t have the factory wiper/defroster switch I am going to add a few new switches.

Defroster: One SPST switch with an indicator light coming off of Fuse 4 (Fuse 4 is powered when the ignition is on) going to Pin 1.

Dome Lamp: I will tie into the existing circuit for the door switches so that when the doors are opened the lamp turns on. +12V coming from the door switch to Pin 3 and bring back a ground from Pin 2 to the dimmer switch behind the dash. (I haven’t opened it up yet so I’m not entirely sure how to do this but I will update this post when I do)

Rear Wiper: I will add an ON/OFF/MomentayON switch bringing +12V from Fuse 4 if there is enough amps available, then the middle position labeled “Off” will go to Pin 4 which makes the wiper go to the parked position. The up position labeled “On” will go to Pin 5 which enables the wiper motor to start cycling back and forth. The momentary position labeled “Wash” will be jumpered to the "On" postion and also power a small 12V pump that I am going to attach to the washer fluid reservoir under the hood and pipe a fluid tube back to the hard top washer fluid connection. (See Image)

Lastly I will ground Pin 10 to a suitable metal surface near the connector.
I've tested all the pins with power so I know this will work. I am not really sure what Pin 9 is for though.

I also have the pin outs for other models of YJ hard tops:
Other Models:
PIN: Wire Description: Purpose:
1 14g BK/WT Rear Defroster (+12V)
2 18g YL Dome Lamp (GND)
3 20g PK Dome Lamp (+12V)
4 16g BR/PK Rear Wiper Park (+12V)
5 16g BR/LG Wiper Motor (+12V)
6 --
7 --
8 --
9 16g BR/YL Wiper Switch (+12V)
10 14g BK Wiper Motor (GND)

Here is the original image:

Attached Thumbnails
YJ_Top_Pinout.JPG  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM
imcfarland93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

were you able to find a factory pigtail harness to connect to the hardtop connector or are you wiring it in yourself

My Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

I did the same on my 93, I found my needs at local Junk Yard and pulled complete harness from rear to under dash and got the reservoir bottle, pumps and wiring plugs that feed through the bulk head connector to the fuse panel and switches. You will need: the washer fluid hose-that penetrates through the firewall to connect to the resrvoir bottle and runs the length of the tub to the hard top, the wiring plug to the hard top, there is a relay under the dash; a listing on EBay appears to have it all; the price is within reason versus your time, finding a doner, etc; Jeep Wrangler TJ Hard Top Add On Wiring Harness Kit 97-02 Washer Wiper Defrost-Rays Wranglers of PA;

tj-hardtop.jpg

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I recall (not 100%) there is also a loop-back wire in the harness, just to indicate the hard top is indeed connected to the Jeep. The loop-back makes sure that the second washer fluid pump (in the front) will not push fluid out an empty hose in the back.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
were you able to find a factory pigtail harness to connect to the hardtop connector or are you wiring it in yourself
Need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I recall (not 100%) there is also a loop-back wire in the harness, just to indicate the hard top is indeed connected to the Jeep. The loop-back makes sure that the second washer fluid pump (in the front) will not push fluid out an empty hose in the back.
I believe that to be the case as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 PM
imcfarland93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
Need one? I believe that to be the case as well.
I would be very interested if you have the plug, I can make my own harness so long as I have the plug

My Build Thread:

post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You just need any 10+ pin plug/socket. I'd go to a junk yard and cut a pair off any car, just leave 6"+ on each end for ease of integration into your Jeep.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
I would be very interested if you have the plug, I can make my own harness so long as I have the plug
I'm in the middle of a rebuild, but I could get it to you in a week or so. Or do like Don mentioned and just grab something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM
imcfarland93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
I'm in the middle of a rebuild, but I could get it to you in a week or so. Or do like Don mentioned and just grab something.
I could just clip the wires and wire in a pigtail female connector with the matching male. I work at a ford dealer so I could get pigtails pretty easily

My Build Thread:

Tags
dome light , hardtop , hardtop wiring harness , rear wiper , wire identification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in