Yj half top help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Bubseth

Yj half top help

Hey guys summer is coming and I'm ready to ditch my hardtop and I was wondering what you guys think about the smittybuilt cover kit it has the bikini top wind breaker and tonno cover. I just wanna know if anyone knows how this fits I have a 1990 yj. Also how is it with rain? Is a little water getting in or is gonna soak everything. I can put a full soft top on but I like the looks of this and I plan on taking my steel doors of and running half doors with soft uppers. But if I pretty much can't drive it in the rain or even have it outside while it's raining I don't think it be worth it. I'll appreciate anyone's opinions on it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Bubseth

Here is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3029_1490755340242.jpg  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 PM
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubseth View Post
I really like the looks of mine, BUT I hardly ever use it because of the huge gap between the side windows and the roll bar, it really limits what you can put in the back, and it seems even less secure than a soft top (if that's even possible). You will get wetter than you think, lol.

That being said though, I'd take it over a hard top.

ROCK OVER LONDON... ROCK ON CHICAGO!

post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Bubseth

Does the tonno cover let it a lot of water
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The tonneau cover keeps the rear section dry, and everything else works if the rain is light. Heavy rain and wind will get you wet though, for sure! You will want to make a prop for the bikini top, as the rain tends to pool on it when you are not moving. I made a bow prop out of pvc tubing that fits between the roll bars. I never use my wind breaker, and as a matter of fact, I keep the bikini rolled up under the seat and only put it on if I get caught in the rain.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I use a combination of a safari top and trail cover during the summer. The safari top give you a little more cover than a bikini top and the trail cover keeps the inside dry when it's parked and raining hard. You will get wet when driving. The wind from driving will push the rain forward.

My Jeep's not my DD so I don't need to drive it if the weather is bad.

-John-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Bubseth

Has anyone seen the rampage half top? It looks like it's sealed so water can't get in it's not as nice looking but it looks like it would keep the inside dry
post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Has anyone seen the rampage half top? It looks like it's sealed so water can't get in it's not as nice looking but it looks like it would keep the inside dry
You may want to contact Rampage and see if the set up you have will work with their top. I was about to pull the trigger on one of those but called to double check because I found conflicting info on the net (including pics on their site) about whether it would work with rounded upper doors (I have full hard doors).

I like the Bestop half cab too and thought about that as well and just modifying the rear bars to the family style to fit the top, but even though it uses identical parts to my Sunrider top, except two pieces I can buy individually, they won't sell just the skin and I'm not dropping $700 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine isn't a DD, and I run like this almost all year long. Doors come off in the summer. Trail top stays in the Jeep in case I misjudge the weather, but it is rarely used.

I have a full soft top, but rarely put it on.

The gaps at the top of the window will let in a lot of rain. It's not so bad when you are driving, as the rain seems to just blow past. But when sitting still, you'll want a trail top or something else.

I've read about someone fabbing in the TJ door surrounds to seal things up. I thought about doing something like that, but moved on to other projects instead.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2017, 05:32 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That three piece combo is crap for weather. I had it for a month, used twice. Since I always have a tonneau anyway, and two piece soft doors in the back for extended outings, I ended up making my own half soft top because no one had anything decent (and still doesn't, in my opinion).

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #11 of 12 Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
That three piece combo is crap for weather. I had it for a month, used twice. Since I always have a tonneau anyway, and two piece soft doors in the back for extended outings, I ended up making my own half soft top because no one had anything decent (and still doesn't, in my opinion).
I like that top you made. Post a refresher pic please.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #12 of 12 Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I like that top you made. Post a refresher pic please.
Thanks Chris. The tonneau and doors are Bestop.
Attached Images

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in