YJ Half Door Lock Cylinders - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

YJ Half Door Lock Cylinders

Looking for a little help - i've added a set of YJ half doors to my CJ7, but I am having a hard time finding a set of replacement lock cylinders for the doors.

I know they aren't going to offer anything in terms of protection, but the doors have the space for them and I don't want to drive around with holes in the doors....

Everything i see mentions full doors only for the lockset.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You may be able to find plastic or possibly rubber caps/plugs to fit the holes. Around here we're lucky to have a couple of hardware stores that carry all kinds of snap in grommets and caps. Plus we have a good auto body supply shop that serves body shops and hobbyists with all kinds of trim hardware. Likewise some auto parts stores carry some body trim stuff. If you're near the coast, you might even find some snap in caps at a marine chandlery.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
8350 5067 2 Black
J812 2874 2 Bright

These are the part numbers from a factory cherokee parts manual.

4 CYLINDER, Door Lock, Uncoded
8350 5067 2 1990, w/Half Hard Doors
J812 2874 2 U.S. Canada w/Full Hard Doors
J812 2874 3 Export, w/World Cab

These are the part numbers from a factory YJ manual.

If you study the numbers closely in the cherokee. The difference in part numbers is bright or black, or color. They match up perfectly to the YJ part numbers but the YJ differentiates between half and full doors.

Here are a couple of pics from my half doors and full doors. I did not pull the cylinders out to compare REALLY CLOSELY but the cylinder itself appears to be the same. There is a big difference between the lever off the rear of the cylinder though. The full door lever has much more reach to get around the window frame or channel. The half door lever is near flat. It does not have to reach around (ha ha, I just said reach around) anything.

Looking at the cylinders I find online. I agree with you. They say they are for full doors. When you look at the pics though the levers on the rear are shallow and look more like my half door cylinders. IMO, the levers should be able to be swapped by simply removing an e-clip.

The half door pics are white and pretty clean. The full door pics are the rusty barnacle POS's. The only difference I see without removing them is the lever.

The parts manual backs it up when comparing xj to Yj. The difference is color.

If I am wrong.... a little fab work and these can at least plug your holes and look like locks.

This is all from the 87 to 90 parts manual.

Right or wrong.... I really need an atta boy pat on the back... This took me more than a few minutes of effort.
Attached Thumbnails
20190430_190220.jpg   20190430_190240.jpg  
AndrewUVM likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
8350 5067 2 Black
J812 2874 2 Bright

These are the part numbers from a factory cherokee parts manual.

4 CYLINDER, Door Lock, Uncoded
8350 5067 2 1990, w/Half Hard Doors
J812 2874 2 U.S. Canada w/Full Hard Doors
J812 2874 3 Export, w/World Cab

These are the part numbers from a factory YJ manual.

If you study the numbers closely in the cherokee. The difference in part numbers is bright or black, or color. They match up perfectly to the YJ part numbers but the YJ differentiates between half and full doors.

Here are a couple of pics from my half doors and full doors. I did not pull the cylinders out to compare REALLY CLOSELY but the cylinder itself appears to be the same. There is a big difference between the lever off the rear of the cylinder though. The full door lever has much more reach to get around the window frame or channel. The half door lever is near flat. It does not have to reach around (ha ha, I just said reach around) anything.

Looking at the cylinders I find online. I agree with you. They say they are for full doors. When you look at the pics though the levers on the rear are shallow and look more like my half door cylinders. IMO, the levers should be able to be swapped by simply removing an e-clip.

The half door pics are white and pretty clean. The full door pics are the rusty barnacle POS's. The only difference I see without removing them is the lever.

The parts manual backs it up when comparing xj to Yj. The difference is color.

If I am wrong.... a little fab work and these can at least plug your holes and look like locks.

This is all from the 87 to 90 parts manual.

Right or wrong.... I really need an atta boy pat on the back... This took me more than a few minutes of effort.
This is perfect. Thank you!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A lot depends on what year the doors are from, but it's not hard to tell if you're looking at the holes. Early YJ doors (pre-91) that use two GM-style flat keys have a smaller diameter hole with a smooth edge, the later doors that use the plastic topped key have four notches in the edge of the hole to locate the cylinder. Lock cylinders are not interchangeable between the two types but are interchangeable between models in the same year range (-91 or 91+). The Cherokee lock cylinders are the same as the YJ ones, as long as you use the same year range. When I needed cylinders for my CJ7 hard doors that I had on my old 94 YJ, I grabbed them out of a junkyard Comanche that still had its keys. They dropped right in. I had wanted to fit the later locks to the doors, but re-cutting the old style hole to accept the newer, larger style cylinder just wasn't happening, so I lived with having two keys for my Jeep.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Standard Lock DL22 is the part that fit my doors.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure of the key style since I never had the keys but I can confirm that there are indeed half doors with locks in them, I gave a set of those doors to Anticanman years ago. I donít remember the color of the cylinders though, sorry. The half doors that replaced those do not have the cylinder holes showing both are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in