• 1 Post By jkbrereton
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
dasaint80
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ Fun

Hey all, working on my 1991 wrangler yj I got from my friend. Well there's no keys, just 3 switches and a push button that makes the engine crank (this jeep is gonna be a FUN project!).

Just replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plugs wires, and air filter. Still not starting.
I want to replace the fuel lines, hoses and ignition coil next.

The jeep currently has quick disconnect lines. Is there anything better to replace them with? Or should I get the same quick disconnect lines?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had a '98 XJ back in 2014 that got stolen on thanksgiving weekend so I've had my share of Jeep fun!

I've worked on many older cars (pre 1970s) never had a problem getting them running. This one is going to be fun cause of a the switches.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200623_091433.jpg   IMG_20200629_192909.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 12:41 PM
jkbrereton

Check the crank position, and cam position sensors

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Luuca likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrereton View Post

Crank Position sensor is usually the culprit when you have crank-but-no-start. It is located on the transmission bell-housing, driver's side upper edge. You can see it from above the brake booster looking down.

CAM position sensor is inside the distributor cap. It is the plastic ring with the magnet and wire. Doesn't usually go bad, but could cause no-start.

Start with the basics, Fuel at the rail? Spark?

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared

post #4 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM
jkbrereton

Also, check fuel pressure. Maybe the pump went bad

post #5 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
dasaint80
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrereton View Post

Crank Position sensor is usually the culprit when you have crank-but-no-start. It is located on the transmission bell-housing, driver's side upper edge. You can see it from above the brake booster looking down.

CAM position sensor is inside the distributor cap. It is the plastic ring with the magnet and wire. Doesn't usually go bad, but could cause no-start.

Start with the basics, Fuel at the rail? Spark?
since I work during the day I can only check a few things at a time.

Today I checked:
crank Position Sensor checked Good.
Ignition coil, checked Good.
Checked voltage from at the spark plug wire checked Good. Couldn't check spark there cause I couldn't find my socket set!

Tomorrow I'll check the fuel pressure at the rail, CAM position sensor.

I have a feeling the fuel pump is the bad one.

I'll leave you with this amazing wiring mess I found under the dash! 🤮
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200630_195044_1593563233643.jpg  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-02-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
dasaint80
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks like I have pressure at the fuel rail.

I double checked my work and checked if I had spark, by taking a spark plug out and leaving it on the engine so it could ground itself.... Well no spark at the spark plug! Is there an different way to test for spark?

Looks like I'm going to be looking at the distributor for spark.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-05-2020, 04:57 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6589-Elec.../dp/B0050SFVO2

This is one of the most proven spark testers known to man IMO. It plugs into a spark plug boot or coil wire boot positively. It may be a PIA to clamp to ground though, If so, make a jumper wire that can clamp in its alligator clip and another clamp that can go back to battery negative. These work awesome. If you have spark through one of these, you have enough spark to run anything. It will start. Period... The only other problems with your spark that can exist is timing or crossfiring if it sparks through one of these.

It takes spark, fuel and compression to start and engine as most people say. Well, it needs air and fuel that is good enough to burn also. Compression can uncover the air problem but that is beyond most peoples diagnostic understanding.

Spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into it and see if it starts. There are arguments against the damage it can do. Some valid. Some not at all. Do not soak it with half a can or anything. Just give it a 2 or 3 second spray. If it fires up or tries to fire than it indicates that you have a fuel problem.... That fuel problem can very likely be nothing more than bad gas and varnish. A Jeep that sat a while has has a clogged fuel system or varnish, etc. It will never start with that in it. It could also be a pressure problem or injection pulse problem.

These are some very quick checks.

Another one. Does the check engine light illuminate when you first turn the key on to run for a few seconds?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 04:57 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Check the relays. My ASD relay was corroded and the YJ wouldn't start.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 05:19 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaint80 View Post
Hey all, working on my 1991 wrangler yj I got from my friend. Well there's no keys, just 3 switches and a push button that makes the engine crank (this jeep is gonna be a FUN project!).

Just replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plugs wires, and air filter. Still not starting.
I want to replace the fuel lines, hoses and ignition coil next.

The jeep currently has quick disconnect lines. Is there anything better to replace them with? Or should I get the same quick disconnect lines?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
What engine is that? Am I understanding that picture correctly...ex manifold on passenger sided?

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 01:20 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
What engine is that? Am I understanding that picture correctly...ex manifold on passenger sided?
its a standard 4.0 HO. camera is looking from fuel line rail connectors back to firewall. its on the driver's side.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
dasaint80
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
sorry for the delay. I've been busy with work. the engine is a 4.0 HO. I will try all the suggestions and get back to you guys!
sorry again.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 01:29 PM
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
fuel pump...

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
dasaint80
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
On vacation this week I get to spend some time on the jeep. So the ignition coil checked.out a bit low so I replaced it. Checked for spark with spark tester. Turns out no spark. I'm trying to find where the cables from the ignition coil come from. They're yellow with a black stripe and green with a black stripe. Haven't even gotten to the fuel pump.

What should I do with the gas that is in it? which is most likely bad since it wasn't driven since 2014. I mean once I put into in a container is there somewhere I can take it to get rid of it?
post #14 of 14 Old 07-24-2020, 03:35 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Call your local “waste management” or whatever it’s called in your area. No luck there? Call the state... and ask them

But give them a fictional name and a different town/city until you know what you need to know and from that: whether or not you need to utilize...any self-sourced disposal methods...
Boojo35 likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in