• 3 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By TSEJEEPERS
  • 1 Post By Boojo35
  • 3 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

YJ Front Fender Flares

I have a 1995 Wrangler Sahara that I'm in the process of replacing the Fender Flares on. Someone smashed into the side of it back in 2005 and I'm just now getting around to replacing it. I have had the flares in the garage since then. I've got the front half of the drivers side off and will knock the rest out today (fingers crossed). What a PITA. Those Revnuts "are the devil!!" I read on here someone put their fender flares back on with Zip Ties. Is that a serious option? Would that really work? I'm curious because I'd much rather do that than bother with reinstalling bolts behind mud guards and what not. Any input or pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7252.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do not even bother man.

That jeep is a goner

I'll drive down to you and take it off your hands...won't even charge you for it's removal.
jbolty, Azhunter1 and BURFCR like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
They way I remember the stock flares they probably had way more bolts then they really needed. I'm sure you can replace some of them with zip ties. But there is no reason to use those plastic nuts again, just get some normal bolts and nuts the right size.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #4 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 12:19 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I put TJ flares on I just stainless nuts and bolts, didn't re-use any stock stuff. I'm sure a zip tie would hold it for awhile. A buddy ripped a rear flare nearly off on his TJ in Moab last year and we held it on there with a strip of Gorilla Tape and a zip tie, was like that nearly a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I kept the original hardware. It went back together easy. Feel free to lube those little plastic "nuts"
Wire brush the screws (on the bench grinder/wire brush) and clean the threads up, then lube the plastic nuts.
Use your right angle cordless that you should have anyway.

5 mins per side.

I hope you already painted the flares properly so you don't screw up a Sahara. Mine is a Sahara, and it'll stay that way.
Sahara collector prices are rising.

I have collector insurance (ultra-cheap) no deductible, full coverage, $12,000 agreed value for a couple hundred a year.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #6 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If your old hardware is in bad shape you could just buy a replacement kit for about $25 that are stainless steel
Quadratec has the kits.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #7 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I kept the original hardware. It went back together easy. Feel free to lube those little plastic "nuts"
Wire brush the screws (on the bench grinder/wire brush) and clean the threads up, then lube the plastic nuts.
Use your right angle cordless that you should have anyway.

5 mins per side.

I hope you already painted the flares properly so you don't screw up a Sahara. Mine is a Sahara, and it'll stay that way.
Sahara collector prices are rising.

I have collector insurance (ultra-cheap) no deductible, full coverage, $12,000 agreed value for a couple hundred a year.
Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about replacing all the fender flares with non-painted ones until I couldn't wrench off the one on the passenger side that's welded up behind the roll bar (stupid RevNuts). So I've decided to just keep the flares on as is. If you look closely in the picture in the original post, you can see at the front of the side step there is a wrinkle/dent in the flare. Some stupid kid stole his uncles car and took it for a joyride one night and smacked into my parked jeep. It's stayed unrepaired since. I was on the fence about replacing the whole thing, but it doesn't look the same without the paint. Maybe I'll just keep it with the small dent. I guess it'll just have to be that bit of "character".
post #8 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 04:31 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutSport View Post
Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about replacing all the fender flares with non-painted ones until I couldn't wrench off the one on the passenger side that's welded up behind the roll bar (stupid RevNuts). So I've decided to just keep the flares on as is. If you look closely in the picture in the original post, you can see at the front of the side step there is a wrinkle/dent in the flare. Some stupid kid stole his uncles car and took it for a joyride one night and smacked into my parked jeep. It's stayed unrepaired since. I was on the fence about replacing the whole thing, but it doesn't look the same without the paint. Maybe I'll just keep it with the small dent. I guess it'll just have to be that bit of "character".
Yep it is a goner.
I have a trailer and can remove that eye sore at your convenience.
You can remove the plastic liner to make things easier.
Take the old ones to a body shop and see if they can match the color.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd rather have a small flaw than the wrong color flares. (It's your Jeep though)

You could just replace the ones that have damage then have them color matched by a competent shop when it fits in with your time and budget.
In the mean time, take care of the seats, carpet and driving lights. I have seen the driving lights on ebay go for over 300 bucks each.
They are almost never available.

Mine has a lift but I kept all the original parts including the wheels and wrapped them up for storeage.
If the Jeep isn't your daily driver, you can get really cheap collector insurance on it. Save some money and have full coverage. If your interested, I'll look up the company I'm using.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have never thought that the flares are that much of a PIA to take off or reinstall. Then again, being a career mechanic and not being condescending at all, there are things that guys set aside a weekend or even a week or two to do what IMO is an hour or two repair. The difference is due to experience. A lot of hard lessons learned and working with rusty Michigan stuff, I am a rock star if I say so myself and getting the most messed up stuff apart in a jiffy. That and a monster investment in tools. Sometimes the right tool makes all the difference. My resources when I go to my tool boxes is almost endless. Not everybody has that. I get that.

Hardware to mount the flares is available. I personally would use that. You probably can zip tie the flares in place without a problem.

If you have a Jeep that you care about the paint and not having the flares move and vibrate and rub the paint off, buy the hardware. If you you don't care, use zip ties.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I have never thought that the flares are that much of a PIA to take off or reinstall. Then again, being a career mechanic and not being condescending at all, there are things that guys set aside a weekend or even a week or two to do what IMO is an hour or two repair. The difference is due to experience. A lot of hard lessons learned and working with rusty Michigan stuff, I am a rock star if I say so myself and getting the most messed up stuff apart in a jiffy. That and a monster investment in tools. Sometimes the right tool makes all the difference. My resources when I go to my tool boxes is almost endless. Not everybody has that. I get that.

Hardware to mount the flares is available. I personally would use that. You probably can zip tie the flares in place without a problem.

If you have a Jeep that you care about the paint and not having the flares move and vibrate and rub the paint off, buy the hardware. If you you don't care, use zip ties.
Well, I decided to put it all back and just run with the minor dent. Maybe I'll just hit it with some touch up paint or something. I'll get that replacement flare painted at some point and swap it out, since I know better how to take it off. Thanks everyone for your help!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Sprungover

$3.99 for a replacement fender flare hardware kit.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_0900.htm

1989 YJ, 1977 CJ-7
post #13 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Replace w/armored fenders (ala TnT Customs)

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #14 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

let's be honest here... the only real way to fix this is to stretch the wheelbase. Moving the front axle forward renders the fender flares pointless.

jeeepguy, Boojo35 and Chrisnvegas like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in