YJ Fender Flares - which ones are best? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hammockpacker

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ Fender Flares - which ones are best?

Hi guys, I'm looking for some fender flare advice.

I have a 95 YJ with 33's on 10" wide pacer wheels. It looks like I'll need at least 7" wide flares to come close to getting the coverage I need. I'm wondering what the best flare kit is out there that will meet my needs. Going to TJ flares seems to be the most cost-effective (the same kit for the YJ seems to be twice the cost), though I"m wondering what headaches I would be in store for going the TJ route. There doesn't seem to be anything out there for YJ's that will use the existing bolt holes AND give me the coverage I need. Looks like drilling and cutting are in my future. Obviously cost, quality & ease of installation are the main issues I'm concerned with. Does such a unicorn exist?

Attached Thumbnails
ink.jpg  
Attached Images

95 YJ 4.0L I6 on 33"s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Entirely subjective on terms of looks. I know busshwacker (or the cheaper TAGS) make their pocket style flares that wide.

Or get OEM stylized extended versions from OMIX.

Below is an ooooold pic of my jeep with pocket style flares from tag. Those are 33 x12.5 r15 on a 15x8 rim

They make them longer as well to stick out further... the benefit of these are easy install, cheap, flexy and not brittle, and they cover your entire tire, freshen up the look of the jeep, and provide much more wheel well room (higher profile of flare that is, no cutting required)
Attached Thumbnails
20160623_155259_1586136893661.jpg  

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 07:35 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can install the TJ flares without cutting anything. You will have to drill holes.

The front edge of the front flare looks a little funny because the angles don't match, but it works ok.

You can get a full set of Rugged Ridge TJ flares for a couple hundred bucks. It's a pretty good deal. I was thinking about installing the take-off flares from my mom's TJ, but the Rugged Ridge ones look pretty nice and come in a few different sizes.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

TJ flares will also require cutting and new holes. Well to take advantage of the larger openings you'll need to cut, but yes they can be installed without.

Personally I'd look for something other than plastic flares.

These look pretty budget friendly, I've never seen them before just throwing some options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not dissing you Tim, but dang those are ugly.

Also, metal flares would get bent really quickly on my Jeep. Plastic ones last a long longer when they are rubbing against things.

Tube flares are a different story. Isn't there a company that makes decently priced tube flares? Bruin has them on the rear I think.
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #6 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I personally would do tubes, but based on his cheap requirement I stumbled on those (not the look I'd go for). There are also some flexible plastic tube like fenders out there too but don't remember who made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Not dissing you Tim, but dang those are ugly.

Also, metal flares would get bent really quickly on my Jeep. Plastic ones last a long longer when they are rubbing against things.

Tube flares are a different story. Isn't there a company that makes decently priced tube flares? Bruin has them on the rear I think.
My current PS crusher corners with welded flare? not cheap lol. Well i gotta good deal off craigs, but they wont give them OP any coverage. I used to have smitty tubes on the rear, but they also don't provide any additional coverage over oem.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_00_07.htm

another option to keep them OEM style and get additional coverage. but ridiculously priced IMHO. Can get cheap tube fenders for half price.

more coverage and more wheel well? ---> https://www.quadratec.com/products/12501_611_07.htm

again not cheap for some plastic derivative. Is what it is.

FWIW i would go with the TAG pocket flares if ease of install, no cutting, cheap, plastic with more wheel well room and more tire coverage is what you're after.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 31 Old 04-05-2020, 09:20 PM
jeep108

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you go with TJ flares make sure they are off a Sahara for an extra 1" of coverage. I painted mine to match, to keep with the sahara theme but yeah its a little funky at the front. It bothered me at first but then I guess I got used to it

Find the"YJ of the month" contest in the stickies and participate!

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-06-2020, 06:29 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did have these back in the day. I really do not remember paying that much for them. Wow!
Look they even used my Jeep as a model.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_00_07.htm

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 31 Old 04-06-2020, 07:17 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's a blast from the past.

post #12 of 31 Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I already posted those lol.

Guys. Camman!

Also OP... it's only the first inch or so of cutting that hurts. After that, you actually start looking for things to cut lol
Attached Thumbnails
20161004_134444_1586196364233.jpg  
paulhead and ThomasYJ like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 31 Old 04-07-2020, 08:40 AM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run the Bushwacker flat fender flares and they cover most of my 35x12.50's.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-02-09 15.15.42.jpg  
Awesome likes this.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-07-2020, 01:36 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiedave View Post
I run the Bushwacker flat fender flares and they cover most of my 35x12.50's.
See your post count is at 51.

I anticipate seeing your YJOTM entry this month.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #15 of 31 Old 04-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
See your post count is at 51.

I anticipate seeing your YJOTM entry this month.
It's in your PM's
bruinjeeper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in