YJ extended front shock towers - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are there any extended shock towers for our YJs that will accept a traditional top end?

as in, not hooped?

My bilsteins are merely 3 years old and functioning quite incredibly right now and replacing them is not an option. With my new to me d30, the shock mounts are welded mid tube...so they're about 4" higher than stock location.

I will be installing the axle tomorrow and would like to know options before hand... rather get this done sooner than later.

Googled, but all i find are for shock eyelet style ends.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not that I know of but I'm guessing that you could fab something fairly easily to accept a stem. I'd recommend just getting new shocks to fit some hoops though.
NHfireLJ and bruinjeeper like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't give more details about the outgoing axle setup, or lift changes, why the swap, whatever is really altering the lower shock point. Why not just lower the bottom mount a bit, make it like the old axle?
bruinjeeper likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #4 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You didn't give more details about the outgoing axle setup, or lift changes, why the swap, whatever is really altering the lower shock point. Why not just lower the bottom mount a bit, make it like the old axle?
Found a D30 with TJ shafts/ujoints, came with extra shafts and calipers, and heim steering setup with the old JB 4x4 double sheer knuckle and beefy steering (the steering and knuckle setup was all i was after). He was unwilling to separate the deal... so I just took the entire assembly. It's also setup for SOA (which will be my next move after the BDS springs and 33" meats wear down in a couple years) and because of this he welded on higher mounts on the tube for the lower shock mounts (but he retained the stock perches as well, which was a bonus). Instead of separating it all, I am going to just swap it in so it's cleaner. I like the idea of have the mounts hidden behind the tube, as a bonus

@Randonexplosion ...i understand your point of view... but adding the taller mounts also bodes well for future goals (35" meats, SOA). As with anything I have done to this jeep and will do in the near future, it's all building towards one end goal so I dont have to junk parts or sell them off as I go. I really do not want to spring the coin for new shocks simply because extended mounts do not accept a stem. There has gotta be one out there, or at very least there has to be a model i can get from a different vehicle that would work. THese Bilsteins are so well broken in now it'd be a pain in the *** to give them up and fiscally, it just isn't possible due to all the funds tied up into the 8.8 parts as well as a tire carrier build - so I would like to retain them.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If it were me I'd just move the mounts as jeeperdon said, seems pretty straightforward and is a nearly instant solution, pretty low cost even if you have to pay for it.
I do like the idea of the protected shock though, but not enough to not move the mounts.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Not that I know of but I'm guessing that you could fab something fairly easily to accept a stem. I'd recommend just getting new shocks to fit some hoops though.
Fab a bar with a stem mount that will then bolt thru a hoop mount...

I used Ford towers... $35 on amazon or ebay...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #7 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 04:58 PM
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could also get an OEM D30 u-bolt plate, which has the low shock mount already there. I'm on SOA with stock upper mount points. I just put the lower mounts as low as possible without getting hung up on rocks. Flex is not an issue.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #8 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't need to be instant.

I mean, i can take time in locating a proper solution geared more towards my momentum. I can still hook my current shocks up to the stock OEM upper mount and the axle as is - I just wouldn't be able to wheel until I find a solution... (i didn't plan top until i have the 8.8 in anyways).

I'll keep hunting for an upper mount solution. This is not to say i do not appreciate the input fellas... more than certainly always do. But I have my heart set on this setup... looking into a Bronco/F150 tower ('66-'77) to weld into my stock OEM mount. My body lift would go in beforehand providing extra space. Naturally it seems it would need to married into some of my OEM mount and braced in the rear. I'd have to do more digging to find the length of these, if they provided 3"... or I could manipulate the application to reach that. I'd be golden
Attached Images

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 08:20 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're just wanting to use the stem, there are conversion parts like mentioned.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...-202/overview/
bruinjeeper likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Fab a bar with a stem mount that will then bolt thru a hoop mount...

I used Ford towers... $35 on amazon or ebay...
I'm all up for easiest and cheapest route.

Can you articulate a little further? From what I understand, Ford towers provide what - an additional 4"?

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
If you're just wanting to use the stem, there are conversion parts like mentioned.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...-202/overview/
Totally overlooked these. Thanks!

Thanks to all who chimed in. After more reading and with your help, i came to the conclusion that the Ford towers and stud conversion will work.
NHfireLJ likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 32 Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Ford towers as well, easy peezy.
bruinjeeper likes this.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now I'm thinking of picking up 4 and outboarding in the rear upon 8.8 install.

Would probably have to flip the calipers/mounting brackets to their opposite side. Hmm.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 32 Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 AM
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Now I'm thinking of picking up 4 and outboarding in the rear upon 8.8 install.
If you mean moving the shocks to the outside of the frame rail after 8.8, good luck. My rear 35's are too close to the frame to accommodate that, and I've got a c-clip eliminator kit in my 8.8 that moves the rear tires out an inch each.

Web Admin for

post #15 of 32 Old 10-28-2017, 03:15 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think you'll have to french the towers into the frame to outboard them.
NHfireLJ likes this.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in