YJ evaporator core replacement steps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
YJ evaporator core replacement steps

Got a leak that I think is coming from the Evap core, also planning on replacing the heater core (not now though) what're the steps/can I get a write up am I going to have to remove the dash? I'm ready to do it (unwillingly)

For some context, every now and then water leaks from the metal pipe that comes out of the fire wall on the passenger side, gets all over passengers feet. Thinking it's a clog in the evaporator core drain, or maybe it's icing really bad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Just read the service manual, apparently if I have a condensation leak inside the cabin I should flush/clean out it's drain hose, I'm guessing the one connected to the drier? Unless it uses the same tubing as the heater core? Anyone know how to flush the drain?

post #3 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Leave this here if anyone needs it

post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
To the best of my knowledge, you'll have to remove the unit from under the dash. Not the dash itself. You might be able to do it without removing the hoses, but getting inside the evaporator is tedious. Mine is completely out of the Jeep right now for a new switch.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #5 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here are some pics that might help you.
20190721_173315.jpg

This is what you would see on the top and backside of the AC unit on the drivers side.

20190721_173319.jpg

This would be the passenger side

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A picture of the drain that should face the fire wall and be near the center of the vehicle.

20190721_173517.jpg

20190721_173508.jpg

In this picture you can see the distance that the lines travel outside of the case to the firewall. The fire wall mounting flange is to the lower left of the picture. The lines outside the case can sweat and drip also. Even the Jeep factory air is a standalone add on system. This is why it is designed like this but the exposed lines between the box and firewall and potential sweating of them is a downside.

The good news is that it really makes adding an AC system onto a YJ possible.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
A picture of the drain that should face the fire wall and be near the center of the vehicle.

Attachment 3844775

Attachment 3844777

In this picture you can see the distance that the lines travel outside of the case to the firewall. The fire wall mounting flange is to the lower left of the picture. The lines outside the case can sweat and drip also. Even the Jeep factory air is a standalone add on system. This is why it is designed like this but the exposed lines between the box and firewall and potential sweating of them is a downside.

The good news is that it really makes adding an AC system onto a YJ possible.
Used the 2nd picture to find out where the leak was coming from, went for a drive for 2 hours and saw the water coming out, I'm assuming this is connected to the drier? Maybe if I use some adhesive it'll fix it, but if it is a clog then It wouldn't be sorta pointless.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Attachment 3844775

Really look at this pic here. If your AC is on, water needs to be able to exit this drain freely. So, if you disconnect it water will flow out pretty steady on a humid day, There is a rubber hose that should be connected to this drain that makes this water exit the interior of the vehicle. If this drain is plugged, water will build up in the housing and drip out places like shown in your picture. I guess to this point it has been unclear to you. check the drain.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say it's a clogged drain line. Or you could of had my problem and had the hose kinked by the heater diverter. I found out by running the AC and taking a right turn and having water pour out of the small vent on the left.

Not sure if I will help but here is a thread I did on my AC refurbish.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...rbish-1010356/

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in