• 1 Post By UPStrades
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By StanF

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
MacQ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This YJ is Driving Me Nuts!

To recap, the YJ stopped running as it sat idling a couple of months ago. Not a daily driver and son (owns Jeep) and I work on it when we have the time to do so and are not in any great hurry. What we have done so far, in order.
    • New fuel pump
    • New fuel tank skid plate as original was rusting out.
    • Tested coil - good
    • Made sure all grounds were good
    • ECU seems good as the Check Engine Light comes on when key is turned
    • Replaced distributor (wires sending info were damaged...and I haven't messed with a distributor in almost 50 years)
After distributor replacement (this evening), fired up the engine and it ran...for about one minute and then it died. We can get it to fire up but will only run a few seconds.

Suggestions on where to go from here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2020, 10:30 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im sorry but it's hard to figure out where you're at without details. Is this on a fuel injected engine? Auto or manual? If i missed these details im sorry. Are you getting fuel your rails? Im going to go with a fuel issue since it sounds like you're getting spark to start it.

I would just replace the fuel filter since we don't know the details of it. After that check your fuel pressure regulator.
MacQ likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
MacQ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPStrades View Post
Im sorry but it's hard to figure out where you're at without details. Is this on a fuel injected engine? Auto or manual? If i missed these details im sorry. Are you getting fuel your rails? Im going to go with a fuel issue since it sounds like you're getting spark to start it.

I would just replace the fuel filter since we don't know the details of it. After that check your fuel pressure regulator.
UPStrades, yes it is fuel injected. Manual tranny. Yes, getting fuel to the rails. I forgot to mention that we did change the fuel filter. Yep, fuel pressure regulator was on my mind at this point.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 AM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont believe you can adjust timing so pull the plugs and check for spark against the engine. Im sure you know that process.

I know it sucks now but after you get it up and running it shouldn't leave you stranded somewhere with no way home. Better it get fixed in the driveway than in a parking lot. I take comfort in knowing my 4.0 is dead on reliable (after replacing everything)
MacQ likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pinch the fuel return line with a gauge hooked up at the shrader valve on the rail.... fire it up.

See what's what in terms if FPR.

It could also be the check valve at the tank...I forget if that is part of the actual fuel pump or not.

Have you been using a fuel pressure gauge to verify the pressure?
MacQ likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2020, 04:41 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First, pull the codes:
https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowl...article-24.htm
This will take 2 minutes and will likely tell you exactly what is wrong. Could be the Crank sensor, camshaft sensor, coil, etc.

If no codes, then put a fuel pressure gauge on it, check for spark, noid lights, etc.
MacQ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in