YJ Clutch Issue?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
ryan6085

YJ Clutch Issue??

Hey Everyone,
I have a 92 YJ with a 4.0 that I inherited from a family member before they died. I mention this because until last year it had sat in a barn in colorado since 2005. I thought I had the bugs worked out but recently when I go into reverse or first gear after it has been sitting for awhile it will engage properly and begin moving, however, the clutch will not respond after that (no tension at all) when moving to another gear and will continue to move unless you turn the jeep off, pump the clutch, take it out of gear, and start it again. So far this has been an annoyance and only happened a couple times but it happened almost everytime I started it yesterday. I have checked the clutch fluid level and had the tranny serviced recently (about 100 miles ago). Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a hydraulic problem. On the 92 it has the hydraulic throw out bearing and it is bleedable just like doing brakes. But you might want to check to see if it's leaking. If so you will have to pull the trans to replace it. I would try to bleed it first. Check the fluid level too. The clutch master cylinder is right next to the brake master cylinder.

94 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 with AX-15 Trans.
4" Procomp Lift, 3" body lift, 35" BFG Tires, Ford 9" Rearend with NASCAR Detroit Locker, Super 30 Front with ARB, Onboard Air, Dual Optima Batteries,Warn M8274 Winch, and Bushwacker Fender Flares.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
ryan6085

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!!

post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ Yes, hydraulics. You are right to check clutch fluid (brake fluid) in the master reservoir, and try a bleed on it, but likely the system is toast and you'll end up replacing the master and the slave. Your version is an internal slave and it is painful to replace as you gotta pull the trans, but you can put in a new clutch while you're at it and that isn't a bad thing. Just don't go with an aftermarket slave, go OEM more expensive but it is less likely to be D-E-D right outta the box, and do the master as well since they both need the love.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in