YJ on a CJ frame - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-25-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1993 RedYJ

YJ on a CJ frame

I have a 1993, 2.5, 5spd, base Sport, all original, including the RUST.Finding a decent replacement frame, on a budget, doesn't seem possible. However, I found a good solid CJ7 frame, what would be involved using the CJ7 frame for my YJ drive train ? I see the width difference, 33" vs 29" , at the front frame rails,but I would like a CJ7 front clip, so this helps..
Has anyone done this ? I see frame repair kits, notably SafetyCap, but the sections needed exceed the budget.
Thanks for any input !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A few things come to mind. I am no expert on this swap. I have never done it and have never researched it at all but know that there are some big differences between the two. The skid plate will not mount, a YJ had the springs moved outboard and has wider axles. The motor mounts have to be different. The body mountings from a YJ to a CJ are different. They share some tub dimensions but the mounting points are not the same. The fuel tank and skid may or may not be different. Does the CJ frame have all the steering and gear box? Not sure but there may be a difference there. The list can go on forever and ever and would probably nickel and dime you to death. Not even getting into fuel and brake lines, brake cables, linkages, etc. etc.

Carefully research it. You may not find any info because it is kind of a downgrade IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I love both CJ's and YJ's but suspension and frame wise, the YJ was truly an upgrade.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/cj...-frame.404005/

the YJ platform is the ULTIMATE build platform. It's a builders paradise.
Boojo35 likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/cj...-frame.404005/

the YJ platform is the ULTIMATE build platform. It's a builders paradise.
My cap placed on my chest. My head bowed and need a moment of silence out of respect for this remark. Very true.

:EDIT, to the OP. what type of shop do you have and how much equipment and tools? That is a very important part of your decision. The rmore ability you have to do fabrication work makes anything less expensive and more possible. Sure, it takes sweat equity. Making something on the cheap but putting a lot of time into it. Some people say time is money and just buy everything. Some people find it as a pure hobby and that fab work is their therapy time. Just ask @Luuca for one.

Pics would be helpful and a better assessment of the condition of your frame.
shaggyjim and bruinjeeper like this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-26-2020, 07:31 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
NOT a swap I’d do. The YJ frame is better in every way, too.

SafTcap is for taking your money when you lack skills, experience, or tools or any combination of the three.

IMHO by the time you get that deep into getting a cJ frame under there you can probably rebuild the rotten areas for less effort.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 24 Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I recall correctly, a YJ has 2.5" wide springs and a CJ only 2" wide. If so, you would need a new suspension with the frame swap, or at lease swap out the 8 mount points. Stick with a YJ frame. There is a guy on Phoenix Craigslist who parts out clean YJs. You said 'on a budget', but it would at least be worth contacting him. He told me there are people he works with who haul parts loads across country to help out guys in the country's rust areas.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #7 of 24 Old 06-27-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
1993 RedYJ

Thanks to all who replied. My YJ frame is truly awful, and not worth repairing. I've put YJ tubs on CJ frames, not an issue. The YJ is superior to the CJ frame, and to be preferred if I can locate one. I like the unmolested simplicity of this particular YJ, and feel it's a worthy rebuild candidate. I had almost the same, years ago, 2.5 with single point fuel injection, neither power steering, nor brakes ( which this one has). I'm doing the capacitor R/R on the ECU at present, thanks to an excellent diagnostic write up here.
Again, thanks for the comments, may Leaf Springs Live Forever !
post #8 of 24 Old 06-28-2020, 10:09 AM
whodatschrome

In the Pac NW it seems like 4cyl YJ frame are a dime a dozen. I usually see about 4 a year on craigslist priced anywhere from $200-$300. It almost makes it worth a road trip from where ever to pick up a rust free frame. They're lightweight enough for 2 to 4 guys to lift up and toss on top of a lumber rack or in the back of a pickup truck. A YJ frame is superior to a CJ frame for a few reasons, and it seems like going backwards to replace a YJ frame with a CJ.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
1993 RedYJ

If only the PNW was closer! Arizona, Colorado have them, but I'll need someone to cart it East, to Central New York. The search is young, I'll find one, someone's unfinished project.
Thanks for the replies!
post #10 of 24 Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was in NY at the time, 2007, and found my clean YJ frame in CT.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #11 of 24 Old 06-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Never step backward in technology unless the gain is so great that you can justify losing the inherent benefits. As several have pointed out, the ripple effects of taking a CJ frame and sliding it under a YJ would make the efforts to regain all the benefits you lose from the YJ frame too great a cost.

Find a 4cyl frame and cut the motor monts off for your engine of choice.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #12 of 24 Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
NOT a swap I’d do. The YJ frame is better in every way, too.

SafTcap is for taking your money when you lack skills, experience, or tools or any combination of the three.

IMHO by the time you get that deep into getting a cJ frame under there you can probably rebuild the rotten areas for less effort.
Yup, I rather put CJ parts in a YJ then vise versa. Like dana 300 tc, etc. Just not the CJ headlights...

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #13 of 24 Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lol. That’s just mean!

Actually had a lot of fun doing that- cutting and welding power steering lines, building brackets to run a YJ radiator, halogen bulbs in the housings... I like it so much I’m having a hard time deciding if the next one will be square or round.

And discovering for real that a 62 CJ5 grill, 86 CJ7 fenders, and a 65? hood all bolt up to each other AND the 89 YJ body without drilling or adding anything was a fascinating and satisfying exercise.

But I digress.
If you can imagine, fab, and weld: if the frame isn’t bent or broken/skewed: you can rebuild a YJ frame the same way you replace a rotten sill timber in and old house. One section at a time. But not everybody can tolerate the work or imagine the process, either.
ayelander likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 24 Old 06-30-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
1993 RedYJ

In 2007, lots of things were available, 13 years between now and then...those '86 fenders and the '65 hood would be interesting, the hood is the short version, for the F134, and V6.
The 1986 fenders are for the inline 6, longer nose, but you all know that...
post #15 of 24 Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
1993 RedYJ

I had to come back to this thread, because seldom have so many posers and morons been packed in one place. Starting with the first reply, " I'm no expert, never done it , didn't research it,but "...and then proceed to disgorge your clueless ramblings...Really ?
And " Fishadventure" , I seriously doubt you have the brains to blow your nose, much less " weld power steering hoses"
As for you dismissing SafeTCap, another pathetic example of your ignorance, but then, you morons have found each other, all in one place, Congratulations!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in