YJ to CJ Dash Conversion No Panel Lights - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1project2many

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ to CJ Dash Conversion No Panel Lights

Ok, I've researched this for years, I actually did my build like a year ago. One of the last things I can't figure out is how to get my gauge lights working. All of the rest of my lights work, but no indicators and no panel lights. I suspect this has to do with the lack of a dimmer switch in the wiring. Does anyone have any insight to this? My high beams are still activated through the column, there is no floor switch which is called a "dimmer switch" on the CJ7 models. I have the left over Yellow, Tan, Blk/Yellow/ and Black just dangling from the swap. Any help is appreciated.

1993 4.0 AX-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 AM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Dimmer switch was moved from the floor to the column in the '70s. That's what you currently use to switch from high to low beam.

But what are you using for a headlight switch? When you installed the CJ dash, did you build a harness from scratch, modify the YJ harness, or use one made for the swap? Is the CJ dash a real, steel CJ dash or is it a fiberglass kit?
Que89YJ likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a real CJ dash and I modified my YJ harness. I bought the 5 pin CJ headlight switch and modified the YJ harness to work with it. The only "leftover" wires were the ones going to the "dimmer" switch on the YJ which is also affected by the radio illumination. I know it's the orange wire that illuminates the gauges but for whatever reason it doesn't.

I guess my real question is do I need to jump something off the low beam or park wire? Or is that going to blow a fuse.

1993 4.0 AX-15

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Why did you use the CJ light switch? All the illuminations are linked together on the stock YJ. The gauges you are using are aftermarket so I dont know what you have going as far as them. They should all be hooked together to a common Illumination feed. That feed should be at the dimmer switch. As far as indicators go again what are you using for the indicators? They need power and ground. The feeds need to be hooked to each and a ground supplied to the other side to light the indicator. Did you wire ground?

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There are many ways to make this work. The YJ wiring harness may not have a direct replacement for the CJ switch you're talking about but it has a wire that illuminates all gauges when the headlights come on. If you can't get that to work or can't find the wire, just tie a wire into the headlight switch to power all the dash lights. It wouldn't blow a fuse since everything should be 12 volts and the gauges shouldn't be pulling a lot of power but a relay would be the smart move. Wouldn't hurt to run a fuse either. I don't necessarily condone my methods but I run my LED headlights and all of my gauge lights off a 20amp switch without a relay because I went with a V8 and ripped pretty much all of the old YJ wiring harness out.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

back in my YJ dash days I used to jump them off the blue/white ignition feed. But I feel like that used to pop my ACC fuse occasionally.

1993 4.0 AX-15
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disarm6565 View Post
back in my YJ dash days I used to jump them off the blue/white ignition feed. But I feel like that used to pop my ACC fuse occasionally.
I actually run the vast majority of my interior components off the ACC plug in the fuse block. Granted it's pretty spartan in my jeep but I run the radio and all gauges off of that. I may even run the ECU off of that but I don't remember. I just have a large bus bar that I tie a bunch of stuff into. Some are always hot, some are ignition, and some are easy access to grounds.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I figured it out. Blk/Yellow wires comes off a splice from the headlight switch. That has to be spliced to Orange off the fuse box on the inside. I even spliced some extra orange an orange wires back there just to be on the safe side.

1993 4.0 AX-15
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The black/yellow should have power when the park lights are on. That powers the dash lights in the YJ. Power goes through the panel brightness control (the dial that makes the dash lights brighter) then is routed through the tan wire to fuse 10 of the fuse box. From fuse ten power is carried back to the lights in the orange wire.

The CJ switch powers a red wire at terminal 66. The red wire carries power to the accy lamps fuse then up to the dash lights. The power at 66 appears to go through the brightness control.

So you should have two terminals on your CJ switch connected to the "dial" that adjusts dash light brightness. If you can find terminal 66 which is connected to the dial that makes the lights brighter, connect the tan wire to it and the factory lights should work. If you don't care about the brightness dial just connect black/yellow to the tan.

Edit:
Quote:
I figured it out. Blk/Yellow wires comes off a splice from the headlight switch. That has to be spliced to Orange off the fuse box on the inside.
Proving once again that Jeep published wiring diagrams then did whatever they wanted when it came time to build the vehicle. lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in