YJ check engine light operation when key turned on - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
YJ check engine light operation when key turned on

This was brought up on a thread before. The YJ Check engine light going off after a couple of seconds when the key is turned on. The industry normal has been to leave the check engine light on until a certain amount of ignition reference or pulses has been received by the puter and then turn it off. In other words, in most vehicles it shuts off when the engine starts or in some cases cranks crazy fast.

I looked high and low to prove or disprove this theory. Why the hell would Jeep be out of the normal from what seemingly everybody else does? It ends up that this is a JEEP thing. I randomly found it while searching for info for the guy that "pull starts" his YJ.

The known capacitor problems with ECMS and other issues made me question if this is correct.

Note that the CHECK ENGINE lamp will illuminate
initially for approximately two seconds each
time the ignition key is turned to the ON position.
This is done for a bulb test.

Straight from the Jeep manual...... Good Lord.... I can finally sleep again... LOL>

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

hahahahaha.

Good work, Columbo!

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in