11264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #28711 of 28726 Old 10-13-2020, 02:57 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsportYJ View Post
The shooting pic makes me think of hunting season. Speaking of that, does anyone have any good gun rack ideas for behind the seats of my YJ? I was thinking of a piece of plywood wedged between the wheel wells and roll cage and then mount some gun racks on that. I want something removable so after Elk season I can remove and store it.
I'm working on a box for a trunk, goes on top of the wheel wells and down the front of them, to be accessed
through the tail gate, there will be gun racks on the outside of the front wall.

If you just wanted something easy to remove, U-Bolt it to the roll bar.

Whats over that next ridge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28712 of 28726 Old 10-14-2020, 07:27 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Another sight for all the sky watchers here, serious or casual... About 45 minutes or so before sunrise tomorrow morning the crescent moon and Venus should be at conjunction or close to it. I happened to go outside this morning and noticed their relative positions. If my estimate of the moon's relative motion (retrograde 1/2 diameter every hour) is close, they will be close.

Interesting trivia: When Venus is at it's brightest in the sky it is actually a crescent when viewed through a telescope. IIRC the brightest is 23% of the total diameter.
Rats!! I was off by a few hours on the moon's relative motion and it was past conjunction and a little lower than Venus. Was probably a good sight for folks on the other side of the world like maybe eastern Europe. But Mars was still big and bright reddish low in the western sky.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.
post #28713 of 28726 Old 10-14-2020, 11:47 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsportYJ View Post
The shooting pic makes me think of hunting season. Speaking of that, does anyone have any good gun rack ideas for behind the seats of my YJ? I was thinking of a piece of plywood wedged between the wheel wells and roll cage and then mount some gun racks on that. I want something removable so after Elk season I can remove and store it.
This system can be easily modified to work with the YJ cage. It keeps the firearm up above your head and out of sight of anyone looking into the vehicle casually. *edit: Assuming you have the soft or hard top on.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Day-CL1.../dp/B00C3OJC1O

https://www.fleetsafety.com/big-sky-...ount-gun-rack/

These are what we put into police vehicles at work: https://www.fleetsafety.com/blac-rac...ack-by-setina/

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared

post #28714 of 28726 Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

They make cars out of such thin sheetmetal now.
Not like the old days... (thank god!)

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #28715 of 28726 Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't care if it was for science.
NHfireLJ and Chrisnvegas like this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #28716 of 28726 Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wonder how many mph each was traveling?
That old bel air disintegrated so much worse than I expected!
NHfireLJ and Chrisnvegas like this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #28717 of 28726 Old 10-16-2020, 08:07 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a little surprised at the damage to the 59 Impala too. I believe they were full frame back then but not sure.

I was in a very similar head on crash between the brand new 73 Buick Century we were all in and a 63 Chevy Impala. Both cars going about 45 mph and the Buick's left headlight was pushed all the way back to the A pillar but the windshield remained in place. My oldest niece was in the center of the front seat between her fiance who was driving and the owner. Her forehead hit the mirror so hard it went out through the windshield and being the old style on a metal stalk, wrapped up on top of the roof. The Chevy spun around and crossed behind us going off the road on our side and taking down a power pole. Went to the crash site the next day and saw the driver of the Chevy with his parents (and a cast on his broken arm) looking at the $480 pole he just bought.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.
post #28718 of 28726 Old 10-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found it interesting so I posted it. That said, I have trust issues after seeing these kinds of things "set-up" in the past. Like what they did to the Suzuki Samurai and Corvair.

I tried to see if there was an engine in the 59' and couldn't tell. I do see an exhaust drop during the crash.

You guys are good at spotting things.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #28719 of 28726 Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's the type of crash that could very easily happen so it's realistic. But, it's also hiting at the most vulnerable part and looks to be mostly missing the frame of the Bel Air so it pushes the sheet metal all the way back. A straight head on would be a whole different story with the weight and mass of the older car. I'm sure the new car driver would still come out better though, considering the air bags and crumple zones.
Awesome likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #28720 of 28726 Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That's the type of crash that could very easily happen so it's realistic. But, it's also hiting at the most vulnerable part and looks to be mostly missing the frame of the Bel Air so it pushes the sheet metal all the way back. A straight head on would be a whole different story with the weight and mass of the older car. I'm sure the new car driver would still come out better though, considering the air bags and crumple zones.
So you think something is goofy with that crash too.
I wonder if the 59' was altered in some way.

I don't see an engine or trans. As the car collapses, watch underneath for the trans. I would think it would go down. Where is it?

post #28721 of 28726 Old 10-17-2020, 07:03 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I wonder if the 59' was altered in some way. As the car collapses, watch underneath for the trans. I would think it would go down. Where is it?
The motor and trans are in a ‘55 210 in some garage in Ohio lol

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #28722 of 28726 Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it kinda smells funny to me as well. The steering stalk comes basically all the way through the firewall, but nothing else does?

And I agree with jbolty - a head-on collision would have been a completely different story.

post #28723 of 28726 Old 10-17-2020, 12:54 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, I believe that's not 100% straight up, Look at the Jeep CJ roll over tests that where rigged,
same with the Suzuki and Bronco 2

I've seen that clip before, and a program about why they went to the offset head on test because
it is more like an actual collision.

To me it looks like it was done at a fairly high speed, and the 59 folds up because in those years
the impala used an X frame rather than a perimeter frame, so the car bent in half.

Hard to tell about the drive train, but I do believe I can see an air cleaner on one angle.

I think that comparing 50 years of progress isn't proving anything.

Put that same 59 Impala up against an 1909 Chevy and see what happens.
Awesome and Chrisnvegas like this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #28724 of 28726 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

JK owners are silly.

I was reading a thread on another forum, and the guy was complaining about his low-profile off-brand fake-MT street tires getting torn up off road. At 22psi (which he said he aired down to).

post #28725 of 28726 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
HoodsportYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cheap YJ removable gun rack

Well, I finally got around to whipping up something to hold my 30-06 safely when bouncing down the forest service roads from camp to hunting areas. This is my first year owning the Jeep so it will be nice to get back in a little deeper on the logging roads before I bust into the timber. I scratched the heck out of my new truck a couple years ago so this will be better.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Have a great night!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Gun Rack.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in