YJ Chat and non tech - Page 1866 - JeepForum.com
 10946Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #27976 of 28327 Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a tractor Joe? Growing up we had one that ran off of the hydraulics of a John Deere 450 dozer and would split anything. One section of I-beam, one cylinder, one valve, two hoses, and one cut piece of 1 inch plate to split it against.

EDIT: I was thinking if you had a tractor you might pickup a used unit with a bad engine cheap and just plum it to your tractor.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27977 of 28327 Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Okay, I assume a few folks here have 'em, so here goes.....I'm looking to get a log splitter.

Something in the 22-30T range should do the trick *I think*.
horizontal & vertical use
~200+cc size gas engine
hydraulic ram
towable
~10-12 second cycle time with auto return valve
log cradle
Option for a 4 way wedge

The 37T NorthStar with a Honda 270cc engine sure looks appealing - but I'm not sure I want to spend ~$2k + ~$430 shipping from amazon, or ~$2k from Northern Tool +$200 shipping. So I'm looking for other options with less capacity, cost etc.

I'll mainly use it for cleaning up fallen trees around my home, or potentially a friend in need. There's lots of fallen trees on my property from lightening strikes, dead, rotted etc. Most are oak, cedar. Tree lengths vary from ~90' and below so there's a lot of chain sawing going on too.

For those who have 'em or use 'em, what's your experiences & opinions?
@Joe Dillard .

I have the 3pt hitch mount for my tractor... but been very happy with the powerhorse...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4087_200674087

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #27978 of 28327 Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 PM
Tophog1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Little something for the zombies or politicians .... Winchester 30-06
.308 here.
Attached Images

USN vet, 1976-80
Moderator, Nevada Shooters
1993 YJ, 4.0, auto
1990 YJ, 4.2, auto

post #27979 of 28327 Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are making me worried because I'm down to my last box of .45 acp. Guess I need to get the press back out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2846.jpg  
Tophog1 likes this.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

post #27980 of 28327 Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I want to go shooting but ammo is getting hard to come by. So are reloading supplies.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #27981 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Chris, if this looks bad just wait until that one errant asteroid smacks us into oblivion. Not in our lifetimes but I'm convinced it will happen one day.
It will absolutely happen. one could be lurking from the other side of the sun, undetected, right now.
Or, we could be on the receiving end of a Gamma Ray Burst.
So many ways the Universe is out to kill us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Okay, I assume a few folks here have 'em, so here goes.....I'm looking to get a log splitter.

Something in the 22-30T range should do the trick *I think*.
horizontal & vertical use
~200+cc size gas engine
hydraulic ram
towable
~10-12 second cycle time with auto return valve
log cradle
Option for a 4 way wedge

The 37T NorthStar with a Honda 270cc engine sure looks appealing - but I'm not sure I want to spend ~$2k + ~$430 shipping from amazon, or ~$2k from Northern Tool +$200 shipping. So I'm looking for other options with less capacity, cost etc.

I'll mainly use it for cleaning up fallen trees around my home, or potentially a friend in need. There's lots of fallen trees on my property from lightening strikes, dead, rotted etc. Most are oak, cedar. Tree lengths vary from ~90' and below so there's a lot of chain sawing going on too.

For those who have 'em or use 'em, what's your experiences & opinions?
Since you will have this pretty much the rest of your life, get the best you can.
Bigger engine means less wear when going through knots or funky twists in the grain.

I'd go to a local farm store. If they don't have exactly what you want, they will be happy to order it. Usually you won't pay shipping. If you have a problem, they will be right there without the inconvenience of packing up and shipping back.

Use ethanol-free fuel in it. Ethanol is so bad for engines, especially small engines. The local Kawasaki shop LOVES ethanol. They literally make more from fuel repairs than the sales of new machines.

Change the oil every 20 hours using oil with zinc.
The thing will outlast you!

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #27982 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Work finally sent us to work from home for the next 4 weeks thanks to cv19. It actually came at a perfect time for me since I'm pretty sure my L3/L4 disk is blown out again. Sitting in a chair, or standing/walking for more than a few mins is extremely painful. I'm literally laying on a thick yoga mat with my laptop working. I've got an ortho appointment in 2 weeks that will hopefully start me on the way to a fix.

I'm not hoping for another back surgery but, if they tell me that's where it's going, I want the Tiger Woods fusion. lol
NHfireLJ likes this.

post #27983 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Work finally sent us to work from home for the next 4 weeks thanks to cv19. It actually came at a perfect time for me since I'm pretty sure my L3/L4 disk is blown out again. Sitting in a chair, or standing/walking for more than a few mins is extremely painful. I'm literally laying on a thick yoga mat with my laptop working. I've got an ortho appointment in 2 weeks that will hopefully start me on the way to a fix.

I'm not hoping for another back surgery but, if they tell me that's where it's going, I want the Tiger Woods fusion. lol
I hope they can find a way to help you. Damaged backs are tough. Can't get comfortable. My uncle Jack had back issues. I don't know what they did, but his last surgery did seem to help. He was back to hunting and fishing.
bgredjeep likes this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #27984 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Is that the one where you have a Perkins waitress help you convalesces?

P.S I hope you get it fixed up good. Bad backs suck...
bgredjeep and NHfireLJ like this.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

post #27985 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Hope its only a temporary insult and you're back to full strength quickly...
bgredjeep likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #27986 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Little something for the zombies or politicians .... Winchester 30-06
.308 here.
.308 and 30-06 for zombies?

Pfff. Ain't wasting that good ammo on menial zombies. .22lr all the way, supersonic, does the job and dirt cheap. In fact good quality dirt costs more.

9mm is for the human invaders at my front door trying to loot my toilet paper stash.

.300 win mag for entertainment and placing bets from my balcony lol
Tophog1 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #27987 of 28327 Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I want to go shooting but ammo is getting hard to come by. So are reloading supplies.
Lol. The only real advantage of Canadianship, ammo stores fully stocked with guns and never out of any ammo. Dont only like 18 or so of us own firearms?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #27988 of 28327 Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
.. ……………… …….
Attached Images

Chrisnvegas and bpounds like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #27989 of 28327 Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Contacted him for the 2 year down the road thing.

Something I should be weary of? He said he got screwed on gear ratio... was told they were changed higher numerically.. but have 3.73 and now just wants to get rid of it.

I mean this is not even a bad buy to turn around and sell it for more. I asked why not just change out the gears? Or if he got it for free because $100 is cheap.

Mentioned he wanted to regear and convert to discs, but found a complete bolt in unit for cheaper than all the work would have costed.
Attached Thumbnails
20200326_112417_1585236373628.jpg  

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #27990 of 28327 Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ask yourself if your needs two years down the road will justify storing and moving a 600 pound axle that won't be hard to come for the same price or less if and when you actually need it.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in