post #27826 of 28053 Old 02-26-2020, 02:33 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Posted up in the WJ forum. No replies as of yet... since the YJ crowd is often well-versed in all things from the 80s and 90s and beyond....

Am going to be taking a look at 99 WJ 4.7 this weekend. It's bone stock, excellent interior and exterior shape...170,000km. Says all routine maintenance has been done, but many do.

Was wondering if any of you have pointers on any unpopular issues these beasts have. Am admittedly not well-versed in the 4.7 other than vehicle specs. Anything I should look for in the undercarriage other than the usual I would for a YJ? I figure if something goes wrong down the line.... I have a YJ parts vehicle lol

At a VERY good price (which i will talk him down some). $3K CAD. Seems the guys is in a bit of a bind as hes moving for work and is taking his Sedan with him. So he wants to sell.
That looks real clean. I have a couple of those and have had to deal with rust repair on both. There is a seam in the uniframe right where the rear lower link mount is that is a common place for rust problems.

Before:

After:

Take a good look at your inner rockers. The outers are covered in plastic so they can trap moisture and gunk.

I know of a couple 4.7's that had blown head gaskets. Both of them had stop leak dumped into them to mask the problem.

Other than that, I really like them they handle high speed off road stuff real nice.
Thanks for the tips on that seam.

I read all afternoon on the WJ section "So you're buying a WJ...what to look for" thread. VERY informative and well put together thread. I got the gist of it now

daddyjeep87 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27827 of 28053 Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I agree with the rear suspension mounting areas being a major rust area. They often rot before the body and the rear diff can exit the vehicle. Not an ideal situation. Look at it closely.

The 4.7 is not a bad motor. Not a great one either. They are prone to sludging, have no tolerance to being overheated, etc. If they have been maintained and not abused at all, they can give good service. If they have been even slightly abused or not maintained they can be an expensive POS. Look closely at the dipstick, inside the oil cap, etc. to see if it looks clean.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #27828 of 28053 Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 AM
AZdEvilYJ
Keyboard Cowboy

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone going to the TDS4x4 event in SoCal this weekend? Ill be rolling in tomorrow morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein

post #27829 of 28053 Old 02-27-2020, 08:41 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I agree with the rear suspension mounting areas being a major rust area. They often rot before the body and the rear diff can exit the vehicle. Not an ideal situation. Look at it closely.

The 4.7 is not a bad motor. Not a great one either. They are prone to sludging, have no tolerance to being overheated, etc. If they have been maintained and not abused at all, they can give good service. If they have been even slightly abused or not maintained they can be an expensive POS. Look closely at the dipstick, inside the oil cap, etc. to see if it looks clean.
Yep. Read about that as well... the aluminum head, iron and steel internals.

Specialized HOAT coolant should be used. Also need to see what tcase and brake calipers are on this thing.

Gonna give it a good rip

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #27830 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I knew I shouldn't have watched the news yesterday. I was going to turn it but I was getting ready for work.
This doctor from Harvard freaked me out with that virus stuff.
So last week I saw the whole world wearing surgical masks. I figured we are a few weeks behind. I bought a case of them.
So before everyone else, I stockpiled food. and 250 gallons of gas. Cat food and insulin. (Miss Puss is diabetic)

Also changed the oil, trans fluid and coolant in the Jeep.

Now I can watch everyone ransacking the stores on TV.
This is the clip I saw on TV that freaked me out. Maybe this doctor is nuts. But I don't like to be caught unprepared.

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #27831 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Yep. Read about that as well... the aluminum head, iron and steel internals.

Specialized HOAT coolant should be used. Also need to see what tcase and brake calipers are on this thing.

Gonna give it a good rip
The WJ i had ate through front brake rotors. When got hot they would warm up and then warp. I used cheap, mid and higher grade brakes and finally when i had slotted rotors they help up better. Also with them being warped the brake pads would wear funky as well. I also had to rebuild the top end of my 4.7. It lost 2 cylinders, likely it was under warranty so i just paid $250 for it to be fixed. After that had no issues. I thoroughly enjoyed my WJ when i had it. I kept it stock and it was just a commuter and family vehicle but it did its job well.

Good luck and i hope its a good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27832 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 03:17 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I knew I shouldn't have watched the news yesterday. I was going to turn it but I was getting ready for work.
So last week I saw the whole world wearing surgical masks. I figured we are a few weeks behind. I bought a case of them.
So before everyone else, I stockpiled food. and 250 gallons of gas. Cat food and insulin. (Miss Puss is diabetic)

This is the clip I saw on TV that freaked me out. Maybe this doctor is nuts. But I don't like to be caught unprepared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQHmmJJImg
I want to know how you even buy underwear that wide.

You were one of those Y2K freaks weren't you, Chris?
Boojo35 likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #27833 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 03:42 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
The WJ i had ate through front brake rotors. When got hot they would warm up and then warp. I used cheap, mid and higher grade brakes and finally when i had slotted rotors they help up better. Also with them being warped the brake pads would wear funky as well. I also had to rebuild the top end of my 4.7. It lost 2 cylinders, likely it was under warranty so i just paid $250 for it to be fixed. After that had no issues. I thoroughly enjoyed my WJ when i had it. I kept it stock and it was just a commuter and family vehicle but it did its job well.

Good luck and i hope its a good deal.

The brake issue is with the brake calipers up front.

They changed the design to the Akebono calipers 2 years after initial release from what i have read because of this issue... resulted in warped rotors. I am hoping whoever owned it got them replaced when the mandate/news came out.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #27834 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 05:53 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

Quote:

I about spit out my dinner and drink reading this for several reasons.

1) I met @Chrisnvegas in St Louis face to face when I bought my 87 from him and learned his story of his cat. It is the most heart felt rescue story ever..... and the cat rides in the Jeep without jumping out last I knew. My cat jumps in the Jeep and helps me work on it but the moment you hit the key, he is outta here. His cat comes from a messed up story and is no normal cat. Chris looking out for this cat is not paranoia, it is probably his normal routine.

2) Chris is going to stockpile good gasoline no matter what..... He is one of the most informed ethanol people that exists.... He knows way too much about its affects on a vehicle and its political side also. I really think that buying what we call recreation fuel in Michigan is once again, part of Chris's normal routine.

3) Taking this one for granted and maybe an assumption..... Chris is an old school hippie. Just like me... Weed is legal in Nevada... Stockpiling food is essential for when the next case of the serious munchies kick in.... Also most likely a part of Chris's normal routine.

4) Changed some fluids in the Jeep..... Chris does that fanatically... Part of his normal routine at this time of the year.

5)Soooo. The only thing Chris did IMO out of his normal routine is buy surgical masks. Hell. I buy the good dust mask ones all time..... and just like Chris I buy them by the case or large box or whatever.... for grinding, brake dust, woodworking, welding, chainsawing, etc. I did not used to be so careful about what I breathed in. I now regret it.... in the end though... I think he knew those masks would have another use. Part of his normal routine....

So, Chris may have added a couple two many of those "good or magical mushrooms" to his pizza before he watched the news. It just amplified what he already had on his shopping list and gave him more incentive to get it today..... Not later.

My point??? A golden opportunity to mess with Chris. He is one of the coolest people you could ever know or meet... I have to harass him and just mess with him from time to time.

Also a chance to say he is has his life in order. He is a very detailed thinker. He lives in a very high traffic worldwide tourist area and precautions are really understood from my end.

With that being said, he has every excuse in the world to go for a M*A*S*H or movie marathon. He has laid the groundwork where it is justified....

Nice Job Chris. Way to buy you some couch time. You deserve it.
NHfireLJ likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #27835 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's not the virus. Screw the virus. It's the human reaction to the virus. There is nothing to fear but fear itself fits nicely in this situation.
100,000 people die every day anyway. Big deal.
I'm not wearing a mask right now, but I got them for cheap and in a weeks time, the prices BLEW
up. I noticed the whole world was wearing a dam mask. Hmm? Gotta observe that stuff.
If there's a quarantine, people aren't hauling gas. Or food. Again, it's not the virus, it's the reaction.
I don't trust our leaders from either party to do the right thing. I don't trust the media. They love doom and gloom and will whip every one up into a frenzy. I have quite the stock of insulin. It works on cats and people. It's the same insulin.
I'm not a prepper per se, just prepared.

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #27836 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not a prepper per se, just prepared.
Oh, so you DON'T have a large supply of different firearms and the ammo to feed them?
NHfireLJ likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #27837 of 28053 Old 02-28-2020, 09:52 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post

Y2K all I had was hundreds of gallons of gas. Energy made our world into what it is today.
Energy is a good trade.
I also had/have antibiotics. They're at the store just waiting for you.
250mg amoxicillin. Cheap and plentyfull.

So all you need is stuff you'll use anyway.
Non ethanol gas. It will be currency if SHTF. Lasts for years.
Insulin. People will run out in a month and it will be a very valuable currency.
Antibiotics. Same thing.
I also have a Tamiflu stash. Some morphine. (Shhhh!)
Just average stuff that could be worth a lot in the right situation.

post #27838 of 28053 Old 02-29-2020, 06:05 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am currently the least prepared, least portable, and most vulnerable to ‘issues’ than I’ve been in many, many, years.

I’m not a “prepper” but I used to ‘manage things’ for a time buffer if a true regional or national emergency came about: 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months. Pretty strong on the six days out a few weeks. Just supplies to create enough safe time buffer to make good decisions and maintain health, nutrition. I currently do not have my former antibiotic and other light meds, and if I need more than 7 daily carry handgun rounds I’m out of luck unless I can remember where I stored them.

The stats as reported by that doctor are not as troubling as the ‘informational shock’ news cycle suggests. Other than the possible 40-70% positive he mentions.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #27839 of 28053 Old 02-29-2020, 01:16 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQHmmJJImg
As a Physician Assistant in Emergency medicine, there was nothing there that concerned me....

The big point of higher death rates 1%, is actually a false hi as mentioned and only testing really sick,, so numbers are inflated...

And yeah... People are idiots and the news hypes it all up making it worse... UGH
Awesome likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #27840 of 28053 Old 02-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Oh, so you DON'T have a large supply of different firearms and the ammo to feed them?
Yeah, I just don't talk about guns on any electronic media. It's probably monitored by computers looking for key words. I won't even talk about a lot of things on the phone. Now I learn my phone is listening to me when I'm not even using it. More and more I leave my phone at home in a drawer.

Yeah, I got some trust issues and am not a fan of the "Patriot act"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in