JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   YJ Chat and non tech (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-chat-non-tech-1390394/)

Louie4 07-09-2012 04:48 PM

The layout works for me.

Xpress 07-09-2012 05:38 PM

Actually I think the thread "What did you do to your YJ today?" should be a sticky because technically it's a technical thread, but just a place for everyone to put their daily tweaks or changes they've done, rather than making a new thread for everything they've did (which is fine, as long as it's a writeup, how-to, or something along those lines, where the process of carrying out the modification might not be clear to people). It's nice having that thread at the top of the forum because it's in an easy to access and convenient place so we don't have to go dig for it.

Threads like "You know you own a YJ when..." or "What makes your YJ unique?" aren't really technical threads, but they do have to deal with the YJ model specifically, so I think it's great that we can have a simple thread such as this for quick access to them. Keeps the top of the board clean and organized and hides the chatter, but still lets us access those threads easily.

TJEvans 07-09-2012 07:26 PM

I'm also a tad surprised that 6-7 stickies are considered "too much." i've been to other forums (covering a varied range of subjects) in which it's not uncommon to see 14-20 stickied posts.

Additionally, the YJOTM threads are also not "technically" technical threads, either.

jeepnrover 07-09-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 13836121)
I think there should be an entire section like the XJ guys have without being wrangler general discussion.

This!!!:ditto:

Anticanman 07-10-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJEvans (Post 13841798)
I'm also a tad surprised that 6-7 stickies are considered "too much." i've been to other forums (covering a varied range of subjects) in which it's not uncommon to see 14-20 stickied posts.

Additionally, the YJOTM threads are also not "technically" technical threads, either.

They're not technical at all but I begged and pleaded that they be stickied at one point so that that wouldn't be lost in the abyss of Yj tech and then we would have only one contestant instead of six.

Even more of a reason to have a Yj non tech section. Should we all send Keith a PM? :nono: I'm pretty sure it would get me banned for the idea. How about a thread in the announcements and comments section?

EDIT: thread started

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/an.../#post13843251




Poke 07-10-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 13840693)
Maybe I just need to adapt to it, but I currently do not see any feasible nor practical reasoning for forcing me to click more times just to find a thread that I and the rest of the YJ community like having quick access to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 13841223)
Actually I think the thread "What did you do to your YJ today?" should be a sticky because technically it's a technical thread, but just a place for everyone to put their daily tweaks or changes they've done, rather than making a new thread for everything they've did (which is fine, as long as it's a writeup, how-to, or something along those lines, where the process of carrying out the modification might not be clear to people). It's nice having that thread at the top of the forum because it's in an easy to access and convenient place so we don't have to go dig for it.

Threads like "You know you own a YJ when..." or "What makes your YJ unique?" aren't really technical threads, but they do have to deal with the YJ model specifically, so I think it's great that we can have a simple thread such as this for quick access to them. Keeps the top of the board clean and organized and hides the chatter, but still lets us access those threads easily.

The threads you reference are general chat threads. They are not technical. Any questions asked there that are technical would get more attention as their own posts. In my opinion the way you look at the forum is why we are having trouble with so much non tech. YJ tech is not an area to socialize and discuss that someone did today. You want to socialize. I don't mean this as anything negative against you only as a good example of why its hard to regulate. You either draw a line in that sand or you let things run amuck. There is nothing wrong with structure.

and stickies are the devil. Keep as few as possible.

grandboost98 07-10-2012 07:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with Xpress that the "what you did..." thread should be a sticky since its nothing but little modifications done to our yjs on a daily basis not worthy of starting its own thread to clutter up and drop more important threads down. While I agree with poke that the "You know you own a..." is definitely a chit chat type of thread and doesnt need to be a sticky.

Why are stickys the devil? Dont like to be organized and convenient? I can see too much of a good thing can be bad but I dont feel that it was over board, maybe just drop a couple of them. Im sure Ill get used to the new setup, but for now it seems like more clicking and searching.

mrmark 07-10-2012 07:42 AM

All that happened is 2 threads became one in this new thread. What did it really change? I bet the 2 that were put in the first post on this thread will be ignored as this thread just takes them over.

Xpress 07-10-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poke (Post 13843643)
The threads you reference are general chat threads. They are not technical. Any questions asked there that are technical would get more attention as their own posts. In my opinion the way you look at the forum is why we are having trouble with so much non tech.

Well yes, "You know you own a YJ when..." and "What makes your YJ unique?" are general chit chat threads, but the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread is more technical than it is a general chit chat thread. Why let it run amuck down in the non stickied sections of the forum? That's unecessary and it crowds up the forum more because it's a popular forum. Nobody wants that thread being constantly bumped to the top of the non sticky section, because it's going to force threads that need attention down south where they won't get seen. Keeping it sticking is a good idea. The other 2 threads could probably be moved to GD as they are just that, General Discussion threads.

Quote:

.YJ tech is not an area to socialize and discuss that someone did today.
What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

Or what about threads like the Track Bar delete threads? People talk about what they did that day to improve their suspension all the time, daily.

That is why a thread like "What did you do to your YJ today?" is absolutely perfect to have stickied to the top of this forum in particular because it cuts the crap out of the rest of the forum.

jbolty 07-10-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmark (Post 13843924)
All that happened is 2 threads became one in this new thread. What did it really change? I bet the 2 that were put in the first post on this thread will be ignored as this thread just takes them over.


I think that's probably true. Need a better solution for those, see below.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 13844520)
Well yes, "You know you own a YJ when..." and "What makes your YJ unique?" are general chit chat threads, but the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread is more technical than it is a general chit chat thread. Why let it run amuck down in the non stickied sections of the forum? That's unecessary and it crowds up the forum more because it's a popular forum. Nobody wants that thread being constantly bumped to the top of the non sticky section, because it's going to force threads that need attention down south where they won't get seen. Keeping it sticking is a good idea. The other 2 threads could probably be moved to GD as they are just that, General Discussion threads.



What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

Or what about threads like the Track Bar delete threads? People talk about what they did that day to improve their suspension all the time, daily.

That is why a thread like "What did you do to your YJ today?" is absolutely perfect to have stickied to the top of this forum in particular because it cuts the crap out of the rest of the forum.


The "what did I do today" thread gets a fair amount of posts so it probably should be put back as its own stickie. Everyone seems to like the idea of a Chat thread so that should probably stay as is then maybe one more container added for the other non-tech posts.

The reality is that the definition of "tech" is pretty loose. Essentially anything that requires a tool of any kind or sandpaper is tech.

The problem with stickies in general is if there are too many then they are no longer special or receive any extra attention. Plus as I mentioned earlier the entire front page was taken up by stickies at one point leaving room for only about 3-4 regular threads before having to go to page 2.


A few of the mod threads like seats, junkyard mods and wheels and tires have only had a post or two in a month but they are valuable enough in my opinion to have grouped at the top of the page in the Mod super thread.

Lets get some more feedback over the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.

Xpress 07-10-2012 10:41 AM

I quite like that layout. Keeps everything organized an well placed.

Poke 07-10-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 13844520)
What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

I disagree on the build threads but also don't see a reason to debate it.

Poke 07-10-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 13844638)
Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.

the chat thread covers the non tech stuff. No reason for a 7th sticky.

mrmark 07-10-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 13844638)
Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.

I like this,

The chat thread just combines everything else like,

but the "what would it look like on " is one I like.

I think we should make a sticky for "Show us your YJ" so that everyone can put a picture of their ride up when they join or change something drastic to the appearance

Anticanman 07-10-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poke (Post 13845238)
I disagree on the build threads but also don't see a reason to debate it.

You're right. The build threads have their own section outside of the Yj realm.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 13844638)
I think that's probably true. Need a better solution for those, see below.





The "what did I do today" thread gets a fair amount of posts so it probably should be put back as its own stickie. Everyone seems to like the idea of a Chat thread so that should probably stay as is then maybe one more container added for the other non-tech posts.

The reality is that the definition of "tech" is pretty loose. Essentially anything that requires a tool of any kind or sandpaper is tech.

The problem with stickies in general is if there are too many then they are no longer special or receive any extra attention. Plus as I mentioned earlier the entire front page was taken up by stickies at one point leaving room for only about 3-4 regular threads before having to go to page 2.


A few of the mod threads like seats, junkyard mods and wheels and tires have only had a post or two in a month but they are valuable enough in my opinion to have grouped at the top of the page in the Mod super thread.

Lets get some more feedback over the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.

I don't think the yjotm needs to be stickied per say unless you're going to just add to the current super thread so the current contest phase thread can be bumped around in general population.





The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.