• 2 Post By Tim742x
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By bpounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-26-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Tim742x

1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ AX15 Swap Problems

I bought a new Ax15 and NP231 to install in my 87 YJ. Everything went fine going in, new clutch and new external slave. All parts were sourced from Novak as a turn key transmission swap getting away from my BA10/5 that was locked up. Anyway my trouble is with the new transmission installed when I depress the clutch I was getting a horrible grinding noise. I removed and reinstalled the transmission 6 plus times trying various things, like replacing the new throw out bearing, realignment of the clutch, replaced the new pilot bushing. All to no avail. Finally, found that the noise is coming from the inspection plate rubbing on the flywheel when the clutch is depressed. Everything is bolted up (only 2 bolts at the top of the bellhousing and 2 bolts at the bottom on the inspection plate). But now Iíve noticed that the transmission is pushed back from the engine on the bottom half.
Iím thinking it it could be the following problems:
  • Engine / transmission alignment (I have to raise the transmission About 6Ē after mating to the engine)
  • Engine main shaft movement
  • Engine motor mounts ( causing the engine to tilt)
  • Replace the inspection cover (but it doesnít seem like itís a structural element)

Iím at a loss of what to try next. Obviously I need to drop the transmission back down to get the engine / transmission alignment back to neutral so I can mate them back together flush. I just donít understand if the transmission was designed for only the 2 top bolts what is causing them to separate on the bottom side.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2020, 12:00 PM
KARamsay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you use the right Pilot Bushing?
On the Early 258's it is a strange exchange.
It looks like your slave is loose in the photo.
Are you getting the trans seated/torqued properly?
Once that is on the engine they are pretty much one unit. Even with worn engine or mount bushings - you should not have a problem.

I have a few flywheels, and the cover that are getting ready to go to the scrap yard TOMORROW. You are welcome to them if you want. PM or call me.

BTW - I love the Orange / Tan.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2020, 12:20 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Love the jeep!

I'd call Novak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM
KARamsay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Love the jeep!

I'd call Novak.
I assumed you had done that already... That would be my first step!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2020, 04:53 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure why the trans isn't going into place. Probably you had it before R&R 6 times, and now it just needs some finesse.

But the FW rubbing on the inspection cover, only when pressing on the clutch pedal, makes me think your crank thrust bearing is worn out. Crank slides forward and rubs.

I also know they sell a FW to crank flange spacer, but I've never been clear on what that is designed for. My 4.2 did not have it.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Tim742x

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yes the slave was loose because I was working on it when I took the photos. I found my problem, basically Iím an idiot. I had left two side bolts out when I bolted up the transmission. One of those things where I convinced myself I had the basics correct and went chasing the obscure. It back on the road now.
bruinjeeper and bpounds like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim742x View Post
I found my problem, basically Iím an idiot. ... It back on the road now.

if had a quarter for everytime . . .

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2020, 09:45 AM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, yes the slave was loose because I was working on it when I took the photos. I found my problem, basically Iím an idiot. I had left two side bolts out when I bolted up the transmission. One of those things where I convinced myself I had the basics correct and went chasing the obscure. It back on the road now.

Glad you got it figured out, and don't beat your self up over it. I have lost count how many times I've been mentally exhausted trying to figure out something on a car, only to realize after a break and I have cleared my head that it was something simple.

1976 CJ7 Restoration:
post #9 of 10 Old 05-08-2020, 09:52 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

p.s OP - you're a little low on post count for the May rendition, but if you put up 37 more technical forum posts (for a total of 50), you could be involved in June 2020 YJOTM.

it's a contest I host monthly with a line up of forum members' YJs voted on by forum members. Awesome prize.

details for this month is here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...r-now-4395967/
bpounds likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #10 of 10 Old 05-08-2020, 09:55 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I appreciate you coming back and letting us all know "the rest of the story". All too many of these things never get a final chapter.
Luuca likes this.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Tags
ax15 , transmission , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in