YJ Anti Theft methods - JeepForum.com
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

YJ Anti Theft methods

My Yj has been pieced together and no single lock cylinder matches. Have any of you fellow Yj owners come up with any creative anti theft solutions? Was thinking of a hidden kill switch or some sort of battery disconnect maybe even a switch for the fuel relay. Any suggestions or input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 07:55 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on year there are some different things you can do. Mine used to have a switch that disconnected the 12v ignition wire but I got tired of messing with it. I think the fuel relay would be the way to go, if they get it, they're only getting so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Fuel is the way to go. But don't do it to the relay. Some dirtbags know how to jumper it.

Find the wire that goes to the fuel pump. That wire connects to the output of the fuel relay. You should be able to find it mid chassis. Cut it and wire it to a switch in a place no one will find...like maybe under the passenger seat? Dirtbags know to look for anything under the dash.

The advantage of cutting the line between the fuel pump and fuel relay is the fuel relay will still click, making them think it's wired right....but, she won't start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would install the switch on the fuel pump ground. I like switching grounds whenever possible. They're safe to work with. Don't even need a fuse.

The ground depends on which trans your Jeep has. If it's a manual and the recall was performed, the ground will be on the parking brake pedal assembly.
Auto is under the hood near the oil dipstick tube.

A Rottweiler in the back seat is also a pretty good anti theft device.
timatoe, Boojo35 and NHfireLJ like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #5 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 10:18 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A lock for the hood: first step
Second? Spend $100 and get the locks onto a single key
Third: any of the ideas above
More? Line lock on the rear brakes, 2-channel key-fob remote to kill fuel pump and provide lights-on functionality from a distance, a delay-timer relay that allows for start but dies in 10-secs if hidden switch is not turned off, $35 alarm with hood doors and tailgate wired plus motion, gps location transponder, remove shifter, etc.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 11:48 PM
paulhead
I overtighten stuff

1994 YJ Wrangler 

A basic Viper with a hood switch could run you $200 installed depending where you live.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 54 Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
A lock for the hood: first step
Second? Spend $100 and get the locks onto a single key
Third: any of the ideas above
More? Line lock on the rear brakes, 2-channel key-fob remote to kill fuel pump and provide lights-on functionality from a distance, a delay-timer relay that allows for start but dies in 10-secs if hidden switch is not turned off, $35 alarm with hood doors and tailgate wired plus motion, gps location transponder, remove shifter, etc.
Mine has a bunch of that stuff and LoJack.
It was on it already. I think it was 100 bucks to transfer to me.

The cops I sometimes work with told me they recover lots of cars with LoJack.
LoJack claims a 90% recovery rate.
paulhead and shaggyjim like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

These are all great ideas. I row my own in a 4.0/AX15.

I never thought about the gps and all that. I will admit the lock cylinders would be a great start, but even then it’s as simple as breaking a window, and no protection doorless and topless

I am liking the fuel interruption ideas. That would seem like a 99% return rate. You figure it would be sitting stranded in a certain radius around your house. Anybody have an idea how far she will go with a fuel pump turned off? 5 feet, half a block? A mile?

I was also considering a pinion break with some sort of mislabeled/hidden engagement.
post #9 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
GTS225

Break the ground for the fuel pump relay, not the fuel pump. Run it to under the dash, and use the cigarette lighter as the grounding method. Push in the lighter, circuit complete. Pull the lighter out, circuit open, no fuel delivery. I'm doing this on an off-topic hot rod, '23 T bucket. Cigarette lighter out, no crank, no ignition. The relay doesn't pull enough current to heat up and cause the lighter to pop out.
Cigarette lighter= hidden in plain sight.

Roger
post #10 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
Break the ground for the fuel pump relay, not the fuel pump. Run it to under the dash, and use the cigarette lighter as the grounding method. Push in the lighter, circuit complete. Pull the lighter out, circuit open, no fuel delivery. I'm doing this on an off-topic hot rod, '23 T bucket. Cigarette lighter out, no crank, no ignition. The relay doesn't pull enough current to heat up and cause the lighter to pop out.
Cigarette lighter= hidden in plain sight.

Roger
What if the criminal is a smoker? Didn't think of that, did you?

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #11 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

Roger that is a brilliant idea. My Yj doesn’t have the cig lighter/ash tray. but I have one in a parts Yj I can pull. That would allow me to wire it up however I choose as well. Also I could throw the lighter in the compartment above the glove box.
One reason I love this forum.
post #12 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Breaking the ground is not a bad idea....but....might be easier to find since it will most likely be done at the fuel pump where it normally ties to the frame.

I never lock my jeep. As noted, too easy to get into...especially with a soft top.

One trick I've seen....rock the drivers seat forward against the steering wheel and lock the two together. Kinda hard to drive if you can't sit down.

But, at the end of the day....if they really want it....they will get it.....just tow it away. Takes less than 60 seconds.

post #13 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep alarm has a red blinking light on the dash.
I bet a red blinking light mimicking an alarm will be just about as effective.
Just like a faux ADT sign at the end of your driveway.

Leave some gun magazines (actual paper reading magazines) on the seat.

You got a red blinking light and the owner is into guns = go find a different Jeep to steal.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #14 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
ZEN357

I always put a kill switch to either the fuel pump or the starter in all my vehicles.
post #15 of 54 Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM
zrickety
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think a remote lock system wired to the pump or ECU would be the best way. Lock=disabled, unlock=enabled. They would need the transmitter to bypass it, assuming your wiring is done well.

A kill switch is also a great idea, but if it's inline it has to handle the amperage of the pump or you set yourself up for future problems.
underscore likes this.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in