YJ all over the road (steering problem?) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 03:35 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i smell time for a much justified upgrade

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Water Burrito / tanker of fluid effect, which is more noticeable anytime you left off the gas which is sometimes worse when braking. but on the gas and switching lanes it is just as noticeable, the water burrito effect.
Steering wheel is smooth with next to no play/dead space in it. Went over the steering stuff, again. all four tie rods ends,steering stabilizer (no difference in vehicle control with or without it installed) upper & lower ball joints, trac-bar (which i do prefer on) bolts and poly bushings, wheel bearings, steering knuckles, all of the bolts the attach them and all are to spec, none were loose. All bushings and mounts on jeep are Poly. I have no idea how you test a steering box, but with no play in it, i am assuming that it is ok. Is that wrong? I checked the springs, all centering pins are there, all the poly bushings are there, they all have lips where they are suppose to be, all shackle bolts are tight to spec (front and rear). All brakes are in working order with minimal wear.
Driving down the road the jeep drives straight without a problem until a gust of wind hits it, or you use the steering wheel. in the process of steering to the next lane the steering is doing exactly what its suppose to do without and delay, its just after you straighten the wheel up something is creating the sloshing effect. after it stops no problems till the next time. So yes seriously i was looking at shocks, because they are old and i have no other idea at what to look at. This does not make any sense to me. unless new tires could be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I posted a link to a wright up Joe did on shocks Shadow. Its a good read if you have a few.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...d-them-623695/
I have to wonder just how long that took to type out. And i know everything i could possible want to know about shocks.
post #63 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 PM
shaggyjim
Joy can be found anywhere

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you look at the locating pins on the leaf springs? I had one shear off once and I did some funky things to my steering.

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
......YJOTM June 18......

post #64 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you look at the locating pins on the leaf springs? I had one shear off once and I did some funky things to my steering.
I did. All of them are there on all springs. All springs are starting to loose the arch, but there is still arch in them. Soon to be another fun project!
post #65 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 07:22 PM
shaggyjim

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I went over your post 62 two times and missed the part about the pins. I went back over the thread again and it looks like you changed your unit bearings along with the other stuff. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take it to Midas or such for an alignment. It might be worth the $50 to have it done. Another thought is do you or any of your friends have a GoPro that you could film under your Jeep to see what's going on when you hit the speed that starts it up?

Jim...

post #66 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry I went over your post 62 two times and missed the part about the pins. I went back over the thread again and it looks like you changed your unit bearings along with the other stuff. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take it to Midas or such for an alignment. It might be worth the $50 to have it done. Another thought is do you or any of your friends have a GoPro that you could film under your Jeep to see what's going on when you hit the speed that starts it up?
Yeah that happens. i replaced all the tie rods, draglinks, and ball joints about a year ago, the wheel bearings were done a few months ago as well as "tighten/adjust steering box" and i had new tires put on it around the same time. I may swap the tires from my cherokee just for kicks. Friends, friends with GoPro..... yeah thats a no. I cant justify having an alignment done without any real reason, No abnormal tire wear and it tracks straight and the toe in with a YoYo is still 1/8 toe in, Also because everyone around where i live tend to screw the alignment up worse than it was and i end up having to do it myself... Backwoods people. The speed it starts at is 10 MPH, but thats jerking the wheel, at 70 the thought of moving the wheel is all it takes. But you can drive the jeep with 1 finger @ 70-80 with no problem, minus the slosh issue.
post #67 of 75 Old 11-18-2016, 08:55 PM
shaggyjim

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's to bad about the GoPro. It would be great to see what the suspension is doing at speed.

Jim...

post #68 of 75 Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

New parts have broken the day they have been installed. Just because you installed something a year ago doesn't mean you don't have an issue. IMO it is in the steering linkage. If you really want to solve this, quit throwing money at it and tear down the front end until you find the bad part.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #69 of 75 Old 11-21-2016, 04:57 PM
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's definitely a steering issue, and if all the steering components are as tight as you say, then all those components only lead us to one place, the frame. First start where the steering box mounts to the frame, see if it's cracked or broken, probably would've noticed movement here doing all the other checks already mentioned. If that's good, check the crossmember under the winch/radiator that connects the frame rails.

The YJ is no longer my DD. I have sacrificed all future retirement plans for jeep parts. I'm depending on social security!
post #70 of 75 Old 11-21-2016, 05:07 PM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Has the driver been partaking in the consumption of liqour
post #71 of 75 Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 PM
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I know you said your front trac bar is installed, but what about your rear? I have heard that having no rear trac bar with the front still hooked up to cause problems like that. When i first bought my jeep, it would wander a little bit, but not bad. After i put new tires and removed the front trac bar (rear was long gone) 95% of the wander went away.
post #72 of 75 Old 11-21-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989 View Post
the frame. First start where the steering box mounts to the frame, see if it's cracked or broken, probably would've noticed movement here doing all the other checks already mentioned. If that's good, check the crossmember under the winch/radiator that connects the frame rails.
The frame where the steering box is, is in the best shape of the entire frame due to a leaky power steering fluid res. no issues there though. Cross member under the grill is in awesome shape, not sure how but it is. Got a really good look at it when doing the body mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Has the driver been partaking in the consumption of liqour
At the time of the steering issues, no. After not being able to find the issue, YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991YJisLife View Post
I know you said your front trac bar is installed, but what about your rear? I have heard that having no rear trac bar with the front still hooked up to cause problems like that. When i first bought my jeep, it would wander a little bit, but not bad. After i put new tires and removed the front trac bar (rear was long gone) 95% of the wander went away.
And somehow i have not even given the rear trac bar a thought. So i will be checking that out here soon, tomorrow hopefully.

To all that has been dealing with me, Thanks.
post #73 of 75 Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 PM
KCYJ

Might could check your track bar, based on your comment that the wheels turn and the jeep is slow to follow; that's how my Jeep feels when I loosen the clamp on my telescoping track bar. When I replaced it not long ago, I noticed the slot in the top mounting bracket was pretty chewed up; the bolt was tight, but not tight enough to keep from moving within the slot.
Frankly, I don't know how guys can run their rigs on the street without a track bar to keep the axle centered; it's darn creepy.
post #74 of 75 Old 11-23-2016, 04:54 PM
rwinter

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989 View Post
It's definitely a steering issue, and if all the steering components are as tight as you say, then all those components only lead us to one place, the frame. First start where the steering box mounts to the frame, see if it's cracked or broken, probably would've noticed movement here doing all the other checks already mentioned. If that's good, check the crossmember under the winch/radiator that connects the frame rails.
what he said, its the next logical step if everything discussed checks out.
post #75 of 75 Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Kevin Stafford

Did anybody find a fix to this. Mine is doing the same thing

Tags
loose steering , steering , steering vibration , wandering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in