YJ advice needed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
ottomund

YJ advice needed

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am kind of new into the world of Jeeps . I recently bought a pretty much bone stock (but mostly rust-free) 1988 YJ with the 4.2 AMC and a 5 speed manual. It's been a good little jeep so far, but it did not have a hard top or doors (I live in Michigan).

I tried finding a good set of doors and a hard top but they were running $700+ for all of them. Then I came across an facebook ad for two 1994 YJs that have rusted out frames and were in unknown running condition. They had doors and hard tops so I ended up buying them both for $650 total. The cool thing is they are both lifted jeeps (one with 33's and one with 37's). The one with 33's has the 4.0 w/ 5 speed manual and the one with 37's has a Chevy 350 with a 700r4 transmission.

My son and I started poking around on them and had both of them running and driving within a few hours. The 350 engine runs great on the one with the 37's but the frame is completely toast. The steering box ripped right off the frame rail and there are holes all throughout the frame rails. The YJ with the 4.0 runs really well and the frame, while mostly solid does have some rust that would need to be repaired. More importantly, the jeep must have clipped something with the driver's side front tire because the leaf spring is bent in the rear of it and the transfer case is literally broken in half from the force of the axle/drive shaft being thrust backwards. It can be driven in 2wd.

The two jeeps with a 4.0 and 4.2 have stock dana 30/35 setups. The jeep with the 350 has what I think is a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear and a Dana 30 in front.

So needless to say, I do have some options on what to do with these 3 jeeps. I am kind of wanting to pull the 350 out of the rusted jeep and put it in the nicer 1988 YJ. Does it seem worth the effort to try to pull used lift kits parts off too or is it usually just better to get a lift kit new? Is it crazy to pull a perfectly good 4.2l out and throw in the 350? I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or anything so that seems like a lot of power for such a small vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 01:33 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you're YJ rich!

As far as the 350, you obviously have the skills to do that swap. I guess it just comes down to what you want. Personal preference. Just consider that if you swap to the 350, you'll be swapping the rear diff too. At least with the 8.25, and maybe even something beefier than that. Also don't expect gas mileage to be great with the 350, so that isn't a pro or con. The fun factor will be there for sure. A good running 4.2 can be sold easily. Maybe sell it before you pull it, so it's condition can be proven.

Springs are pretty cheap. I'm not sure it is worth pulling springs of unknown quality or brand. And you need new U-bolts and probably bushings anyway. Plus you need something to roll the old YJ around on. Probably would not be worth it to me to save springs. But it is definitely doable. Guys are pulling springs and swapping in/out leaves all the time to get the ride and lift they want.

Welcome to the site.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 02:09 PM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And people ask us,ĒHow do you have so many Jeeps???Ē

So, Iíve put a 350/sm420/230sye in a YJ and Iím wrapping up the suspension with D60 axles, links, and coil overs. Itís going to be a rockcrawling beast. Lot of work.

This summer I pulled a tired, but running 258 (4.2) out of a CJ8 and put in a running 4.0HO from a 97 Cherokee and have nearly got that running. Not as much work.

If it were my pile of YJs, Iíd unload the 350 drivetrain. Guys are always looking to do V8 swaps. Put the 4.0/Ax-15/230 into the best frame over the Ford 8.8 axle and matching front axle with new springs, shackles, bolts, and shocks. Use the fuel tank, pump, lines, filters from the 350 install on the 4.0 build. Get the fuel injection with the 4.0 working and have fun.

Keep the 258 inside and all orifices covered. Save your money. When youíve got $2500 put together pull the 4.0 back out, take it and the 258 to a machine shop and get a 4.6 stroker (4.0 block/head and 258 rotating assembly) back. Rebuild the AX-15 and 230 (not hard) and slide in a nice set up.

Likely the 4.6 will have the power or more than your 350 has now, itís lighter, and better on fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/

post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Jeepsr4me

I vote for the 350..
pull and sell off all the parts you can and scrap the rest. More than your money back on just the parts.

Far as the lift goes, if its not all rusted and a pain to pull and reuse. But then you need new U bolts and other parts..
BUT selling the lift off is good,. Someone may need just a leaf or two to fix a broken lift they have. I know I bought a used lift just for the main leaf of one spring. Then sold the rest to another guy needing the same from the rear pieces..
I love to buy and part off. ANd keep what I need. Tops being one of those things.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 02:53 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sell me the 4.0 Jeep and recoup some money for the other projects...

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
ottomund

Wow thanks for all of the replies guys. I really appreciate the ideas. If I were to switch the 4.2 for the 4.0 I know I would get better power/reliability. Would it make much difference on MPG? I am getting around 11-12 mostly country/freeway driving. Also, I am a little unsure about part prices in my area. There are not a ton of YJs left around here for comparison (stupid rust). Any idea where to start? I was thinking about calling junkyards and selling parts for like 60 - 80% of the average junkyard cost. I have a very patient wife but I don't know how she will feel about a jeep fleet in the yard lol.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

NOTHING is more reliable than a 4.2 inline 6.
Inline 6's are some of the most reliable engines on the planet. Over the road truck? Inline 6.
It's inherently Smooth by it's nature. It's a heavy duty industrial engine.

MPG? With the aerodynamics of a cinder block? If you were looking for economy, you chose poorly, grasshopper.

Depending on your driving and fuel system and tuning, you should be able to get mid to upper teens.

Take the parts you want from the other Jeeps, part out the rest unless one or the other are saveable without too much $$$$

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Don't sell any parts until you are darn sure you don't need them. been there

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." óHubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in