Wrangler laredo - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
tomltp

Wrangler laredo

what cam can i use to get more low end torque than the stock cam. i have a 1991 wrangler 4.0 tall gears and auto trans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2020, 11:27 AM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Hesco

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2020, 02:20 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The stock cam is about the highest torque you’re gonna get. A 4.0 has wicked torque! If you need more than that you stroke the 4.0 and build it right and you can have 300ftlbs.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
tomltp

thanks for the info. I know that between having 31 tires and tall gears I should put lower gears in it. I am rebuilding the engine now so I was wondering about maybe a cam to drop the torque curve down a bit. I have a 1989 wrangler and have put a 1991 H.D. 4.0 in it. I love the 4.0 engine but notice the 4.3 had a little bit better low end .
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2020, 04:08 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If your 4.3 has more torque, your 4.0 has a problem.

Compare your Jeep to mine. I backed off at 70 mph.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The stock cam is designed for true low end torque. There may some very mild options that can increase this torque slightly but do not expect a big gain in low end torque with a camshaft change. You can gain torque in a big way by a cam swap but it typically will be mid and high end torque that is gained and low end torque is sacrificed. It raises that power band or effective RPM range of the engine.

I did a 4.0l rebuild for my XJ years ago. I did put a slightly modified camshaft in it and was happy with it. Yes, it had more zip to it. The cams specs were slightly more duration and lift than stock. My buddy at the time also had a XJ and mine did pull harder than his. IMO it wasn't enough to justify just doing a cam swap. You do have to remove the cylinder head to swap the cam in a 4.0L. If I was rebuilding a 4.0L however I would bump the cam slightly.

I agree that the 4.0L in stock form has great low end torque.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
The stock cam is designed for true low end torque. There may some very mild options that can increase this torque slightly but do not expect a big gain in low end torque with a camshaft change. You can gain torque in a big way by a cam swap but it typically will be mid and high end torque that is gained and low end torque is sacrificed. It raises that power band or effective RPM range of the engine.

I did a 4.0l rebuild for my XJ years ago. I did put a slightly modified camshaft in it and was happy with it. Yes, it had more zip to it. The cams specs were slightly more duration and lift than stock. My buddy at the time also had a XJ and mine did pull harder than his. IMO it wasn't enough to justify just doing a cam swap. You do have to remove the cylinder head to swap the cam in a 4.0L. If I was rebuilding a 4.0L however I would bump the cam slightly.

I agree that the 4.0L in stock form has great low end torque.
90% plus available torque just off idle. Not going to do much better than that. Well over 200 lb ft at 1000 rpm.
Attached Images

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2020, 02:15 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.compcams.com/700-r4-4l60...-68-501-5.html

Here is a cam that you may consider during a rebuild. It specs are very modest but somewhat improved over a stock camshaft. It is more of a dual profile cam and gives more duration to the exhaust side which many upgraded RV, energy or mild performance cams do because many factory vehicles were more restrictive on the exhaust side of the engine.

I fully agree with @Chrisnvegas and @fishadventure about the torque a stock 4.0L produces. It comes in very low and quick.

Give us YOUR definition of low end torque. That would be the best thing for this thread.

Say for instance you have been driving an Acura RSX Type S. Your idea of low end torque starts below about 3500 to 4 K Rpms.

What do you expect low end torque to do? Get you over a rock at a very low speed like at idle, give you good power through town?

Gearing helps torque, especially usable torque in a big way.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomltp View Post
thanks for the info. I know that between having 31 tires and tall gears I should put lower gears in it. I am rebuilding the engine now so I was wondering about maybe a cam to drop the torque curve down a bit. I have a 1989 wrangler and have put a 1991 H.D. 4.0 in it. I love the 4.0 engine but notice the 4.3 had a little bit better low end .
I'm a bit late to this party but low end anything an aftermarket cams don't generally go well together. Cam swaps generally make more power because they're tuned to allow more air and fuel at high rpms.

I suspect what you actually want is mid range 2500-4000 rpm horsepower and torque. That's where the 4.3 shines over the 4.0. That said, your 4.0 with stock gears shouldn't have any trouble pushing 31" tires. My 4 cylinder engine didn't have trouble pushing 33" tires up to 55mph but then the drag of the Jeep started getting too high. I could run my 4 cylinder at 75mph on the interstate as long as the road was flat...even slight uphills were no good though and I'd often have to downshift to bring the rpms up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in