• 1 Post By Waternut
  • 1 Post By timatoe
  • 1 Post By Waternut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Would you do slider boxes over shackles?

Been reading a lot about slider boxes and it just seems like they've got a lot of positives that can be tuned well to your rig and purpose. However, it seems like very few people run them and I guess I'm trying to figure out why. I'm sure the average guy doesn't have the capability to weld on new sliders but as people start talking shackle reversals and SOA, that welding capability becomes a must yet sliders either get overlooked or rejected. I guess I'm trying to understand why because I'm not seeing a whole lot of negatives based on my research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

search the forum here, there was a long discussion a few years ago....

I don't remember the why but over all is was, nice, but like revolver shackles more draw backs.

Big w toyotas, but never really crossed into jeeps

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 AM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should bring this up Waternut because I’ve been looking hard at Liquid Iron Industry’s sliders for a bit now and I’m going to give them a shot on my leaf over. I’m not a fan of my shackles grinding on rocks and this looks like the best way to get rid of them. As for why they don’t get much love? I would guess cost for the most part. Are you looking to play with a set as well?

Jim...

......YJOTM June 18......

post #4 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Funny you should bring this up Waternut because Iíve been looking hard at Liquid Iron Industryís sliders for a bit now and Iím going to give them a shot on my leaf over. Iím not a fan of my shackles grinding on rocks and this looks like the best way to get rid of them. As for why they donít get much love? I would guess cost for the most part. Are you looking to play with a set as well?
Yeah I'm considering those as well. Getting ready to do a front stretch with XJ leafs and these are a consideration since I'm going to have redo most if not all frame side mounts anyway.

From what I can tell, they are going to be more expensive than the shackles I already have but it would definitely increase the approach angle and from what I've seen, it'll increase the amount of axle droop as well. It looks like they are way more beefy than shackles too. I think my biggest concern is if I'll have to resize my driveshaft that I just resized in preparation for the stretch, that's even more money just for a little more droop and a unique concept.

post #5 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 02:23 PM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

BleepinJeep has a descent video of DIY slider boxes on a Comanche, then a follow up video recently about lessons learned and pros/cons of the setup. I found it interesting and you may as well.

~DM

92 YJ, Delilah

post #6 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 04:10 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

This is the type of question I would call and talk to the folks at Deaver about. They are very helpful and certainty know leaf springs.

Just be upfront, hey I`m not sure about purchasing a set of your springs but I do have a question on slider boxes. Think you`ll find them to be very helpful. Jeff, the owner is often the one whom picks up the phone.

One thing I saw in a thread a couple weeks ago. Guy had spring clips that were coming loose. Pretty sure they were Waggy springs. Anyways, these clips held the leaf pack together tightly.

On the Deavers they use a square U bolt type clamp. The U part has a rivet to the leaf and the cross bolt is a couple inches above the pack. This allows the pack to move freely in length and also lets the leaves separate rather than be held tight. Which of course means more spring travel and flex.

Can take a picture of my setup if you wish.

Bring this up as another question you could ask Deaver.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectMatrix View Post
BleepinJeep has a descent video of DIY slider boxes on a Comanche, then a follow up video recently about lessons learned and pros/cons of the setup. I found it interesting and you may as well.

~DM
Yeah I'm familiar with that build. One of the things that had me considering them was that Matt said that he had so much axle droop that he needed a special driveshaft to make them work. Granted, he heavily modified and cut the current driveshaft so that could've been part of the problem as well but I don't remember him ever really complaining about how they worked.
DirectMatrix likes this.

post #8 of 14 Old 01-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I stumbled into the info on them a while back. I did a lot of reading and research on them. At the time I was working with a guy that is a lifelong and very accomplished drag racer and so was his father. In fact his father is honored at couple of tracks since he passed, they have events in his name and was a local legend. This guy did a lot of Jeep suspension and lift work also, owned an successful independent repair facility for about 12 years but also was a very accomplished dealership tech.

Anyways. He runs slider boxes in his drag cars as do a lot of people he knows. Through some different things they are more tunable and all those guys flat out swear by them. To me the concept is awesome.

I would be interested in links and research that you turn up. I have no personal experience with them but if Big Jim says they are the bomb, I tend to believe him. He is not just some hack DIY guy that swears that whatever he has is the best. He is more than willing to share the failures and learning experiences also. (HE FREAKING HATES RC STUFF BTW so he has some credible opinions. eh?) Big Jim has run drag cars for about 40 years or so and added to his childhood of helping his father, a lot of knowledge. I reiterate that he is a very accomplished career mechanic and talked a lot of theory as to why they work.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2020, 12:13 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have no personal experience with them, but they do look to offer some good benefits. That being said I've only seen one guy running them and he ran them for the same reason we're all thinking they're a good idea. I don't remember all his reasons why but last year in Moab he was telling me he's cutting them out because he hates the way they perform. So???
NHfireLJ likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2020, 01:33 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well keep your fingers crossed, I just ordered a set from LII. I'm not going to get my hopes up that they will give me "link" like articulation or any nonsense like that, but I do expect that they will do what I want and that is to remove the shackles from the front of my Jeep. I'm not a fan of shackles....

Jim...

......YJOTM June 18......
post #11 of 14 Old 01-19-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Well keep your fingers crossed, I just ordered a set from LII. I'm not going to get my hopes up that they will give me "link" like articulation or any nonsense like that, but I do expect that they will do what I want and that is to remove the shackles from the front of my Jeep. I'm not a fan of shackles....
Please keep us posted. This and the front stretch will have to wait for me but it will be taken into consideration. I was wheeling yesterday and realized that hydro assist or full hydro needs to be my number 1 priority. 38x14.5 tires at really low pressure are hard to move even when the tires aren't bound up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

post #12 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Please keep us posted. This and the front stretch will have to wait for me but it will be taken into consideration. I was wheeling yesterday and realized that hydro assist or full hydro needs to be my number 1 priority. 38x14.5 tires at really low pressure are hard to move even when the tires aren't bound up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Redneck steering?

https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com/wtor

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
That's not a bad price. If you're comfortable rebuilding and tapping your own box you can build a similar set up for a little over $200.

I bought a junkyard box and tried it and couldn't get it to work after the re-build, I'm sure I screwed up somewhere in the process. I ended up getting the pre-drilled and tapped box from AGR and then bought the rest of the pieces to build a set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's not a bad price. If you're comfortable rebuilding and tapping your own box you can build a similar set up for a little over $200.

I bought a junkyard box and tried it and couldn't get it to work after the re-build, I'm sure I screwed up somewhere in the process. I ended up getting the pre-drilled and tapped box from AGR and then bought the rest of the pieces to build a set up.
Yeah I saw that I could do hydro assist for around $200 from surplus center. I'm currently trying to price out a full hydro system and I've learned a ton. Just waiting on some answers regarding some orbital valves before pulling that trigger.
timatoe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in