WJ Knuckle Swap - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 169 Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I looked it up and the YJ and ZJ ball joints are the same - the WJ ball joint is indeed a different part.

Since the axle is the same, and therefore the axle C must be the same, the only variable is the knuckle. If the knuckle is indeed different, then you should use the correct part for the knuckle that you are swapping onto the axle.

scrogg likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 169 Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 PM
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
When I did my wj knuckle swap, either the upper or lower ball joint is different for sure. You need the 1/4" spacer ring to align the steering u joint, no other options. Depending on your setup, either use TJ hubs with wj rotors with 5x4.5 pattern drilled in, or do what I did and use a explorer sport track rotor with the YJ hub flange ground down a little bit and some shims to move the caliper out a hair.

Adopt-a-Trail Volunteer SBNF 3N17
YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #138 of 169 Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 PM
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Spicer 707488X Suspension Ball Joint Kit

That was the ball joint kit I purchased.
It was a fun project and actually easy to do, worth it in my opinion and got high steer out of it too with a taper reamer. No regrets.

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS

post #139 of 169 Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A few pics to go with that
Attached Thumbnails
20161013_175234_1549511244662.jpg   20161013_175249_1549511306872.jpg  

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #140 of 169 Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8orBUST View Post
Spicer 707488X Suspension Ball Joint Kit
That was the ball joint kit I purchased.
It was a fun project and actually easy to do, worth it in my opinion and got high steer out of it too with a taper reamer. No regrets.
You may not know - that’s fine. It’s not like you’d randomly measure this.

I have a pair of (not installed) wj knuckles. I went with tapered inserts for over-the-top steering instead. With my kitless ~1-1/2” lift (cut off factory perches and made very very short ones) this put me to exactly flat horizontal with the drag link. Slightly unexpected!

How much higher did your WJ tie rod mounting put you as compared to over-the-top? (If you know)
Thanks

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #141 of 169 Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

curious question here - awesome right up, @Awesome

my steering is already set to cross over and am happy with it. How much better are your brakes with this swap? Is it that good that it is worth it for me to attempt? I have a line on a deal for the WJ knuckles (with spacers already welded on) and WJ calipers for $100... already have a dual diaphragm booster and MC upgrade sitting in storage.

Is the braking THAT much better to even do this in my situation? Or, is it more of a combination of the benefits (cross over steering + bigger brakes) which makes this such a valuable swap?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #142 of 169 Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Steve707

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8orBUST View Post
When I did my wj knuckle swap, either the upper or lower ball joint is different for sure. You need the 1/4" spacer ring to align the steering u joint, no other options. Depending on your setup, either use TJ hubs with wj rotors with 5x4.5 pattern drilled in, or do what I did and use a explorer sport track rotor with the YJ hub flange ground down a little bit and some shims to move the caliper out a hair.
I think I ran crown Vic rotors when I did mine.
post #143 of 169 Old 07-21-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

my steering is already set to cross over and am happy with it. How much better are your brakes with this swap? Is it that good that it is worth it for me to attempt? I have a line on a deal for the WJ knuckles (with spacers already welded on) and WJ calipers for $100... already have a dual diaphragm booster and MC upgrade sitting in storage.

Is the braking THAT much better to even do this in my situation? Or, is it more of a combination of the benefits (cross over steering + bigger brakes) which makes this such a valuable swap?
Full disclosure: I did the 8.8 swap as soon as the knuckle swap was done. So I went from stock YJ to WJ brakes + rear disks at the same time.

The difference was huge. The only downside is the pedal becomes a little softer because there's so much more fluid in the pistons, but the Jeep stops real quick when I need it to.

I would recommend you buy pre-drilled WJ rotors. I know there's a couple of companies that offer them online. If it's cheaper for you up there in Canadia, you can buy the WJ rotors and have a machinist drill them for you. It cost me $45 to have a guy drill mine. He got the holes slightly off and I had to grind them out a bit.

I didn't have a drill press at the time, and it would cost me more than $45 in drill bits to drill all those holes.

I didn't do the swap for the brakes; I did it for the steering. The brakes were a happy bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve707 View Post
I think I ran crown Vic rotors when I did mine.
Crown Vic rotors are too small. I measured them in the junkyard.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the Crown Vic rotors have too shallow a hat to fit properly. The hat might be too small in diameter as well.
The Sport Trac rotors are too small in diameter to use the whole brake pad. You'll have 1/8" or maybe a bit more of unused brake pad. They are probably the easiest option other than running pre-drilled WJ rotors.

post #144 of 169 Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I have the 8.8, WJ booster/MC, and WJ brakes and knuckles. I did all of these one at a time so I can comment on this one. I'll order them from worst to best brake mods by performance.

1. The 8.8 disc brakes were trivial IMO. If I think about it, I can tell the brakes are better. However, with an older single diaphragm brake booster, the brakes still sucked.
2. WJ knuckles and dual piston calipers. Noticeable difference but I did already had the WJ booster at that time. The jeep dives under heavy braking because the fronts are so much better than the rear and it can be a bit alarming. I did it for the steering and SOA. I was ultimately happy with my brakes after the WJ booster.
3. WJ booster and MC. Huge difference in braking performance but as @Awesome said, the pedal feel is crazy soft and mine at least makes it feel like there is a ton of air in the lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #145 of 169 Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ Yeah. I went from having a super stiff and responsive brake pedal (stock) to having one that feels like I'm going to mash it into the floor. The brakes themselves work amazingly, the pedal just feels soft. It's kind of hard to describe.

I guess it's like.... if you've driven a Ford, you know how crazy sensitive the gas pedal is, and then go drive a Chevy and notice how the pedal isn't nearly as responsive.

post #146 of 169 Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I did the 8.8, I felt a very noticeable difference in braking.

I may be in the minority here. But i went from scary and hairy to really confident just adding the 8.8 in terms of braking. If I do this, I do not plan to do the dual diaphragm/MC upgrade at the same time. Saving that job for winter.

Still planning out. I dropped a ****load of cash in the past two weeks on the jeep (armor, new header). I mean, it's only $100 for the WJ knuckles and calipers.... but i wanted to confirm how significant simply the braking upgrade would be with the swap before I messed with my steering (,which I am happy with).

Thanks for the confirmation. Unsure if I'll go ahead with it.... may just pick up the parts for a down the line upgrade. Ideally I'd swap out the d30 for a waggy 44 if I were to be doin front end work. Have a line on one of those too, if the seller would only budge on not selling the 44 with a rear 9" as a set.

This information was useful as I've read multiple conflicting reports regarding how good an upgrade braking alone was with this WJ knuckle and caliper swap.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #147 of 169 Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Steve707

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Full disclosure: I did the 8.8 swap as soon as the knuckle swap was done. So I went from stock YJ to WJ brakes + rear disks at the same time.

The difference was huge. The only downside is the pedal becomes a little softer because there's so much more fluid in the pistons, but the Jeep stops real quick when I need it to.

I would recommend you buy pre-drilled WJ rotors. I know there's a couple of companies that offer them online. If it's cheaper for you up there in Canadia, you can buy the WJ rotors and have a machinist drill them for you. It cost me $45 to have a guy drill mine. He got the holes slightly off and I had to grind them out a bit.

I didn't have a drill press at the time, and it would cost me more than $45 in drill bits to drill all those holes.

I didn't do the swap for the brakes; I did it for the steering. The brakes were a happy bonus.

Crown Vic rotors are too small. I measured them in the junkyard.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the Crown Vic rotors have too shallow a hat to fit properly. The hat might be too small in diameter as well.
The Sport Trac rotors are too small in diameter to use the whole brake pad. You'll have 1/8" or maybe a bit more of unused brake pad. They are probably the easiest option other than running pre-drilled WJ rotors.
I dont know man, I've had them on for a while and can lock them up. They were 95ish crown vic I think. Theres no uneven wear on the rotors or pads. It does take a spacer between the bracket and caliper though, 1/8" I think.
post #148 of 169 Old 07-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Stitch586

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you go through with it, I would recommend to try using off the shelf parts. If you would like, I can go through my notes and give you my part numbers when I did my WJ swap. I cant remember exactly which rotor and wheel bearing I went with, but I ended up making a "spacer" the went between the wheel bearing and back face of the rotor.

I though I would never change my brakes the rest of my Jeeps life until my passenger caliper locked up on me trashing my pads and rotor. It was nice to just go to the store and not having to order a special rotor or drill out a bolt pattern.

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
Kilo-Echo-8 * * *
post #149 of 169 Old 07-23-2019, 01:08 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure anyone who reads this in the future would be appreciative.

That'd be a big help. Thanks
Siva283 likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #150 of 169 Old 07-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch586 View Post
If you go through with it, I would recommend to try using off the shelf parts. If you would like, I can go through my notes and give you my part numbers when I did my WJ swap. I cant remember exactly which rotor and wheel bearing I went with, but I ended up making a "spacer" the went between the wheel bearing and back face of the rotor.

I though I would never change my brakes the rest of my Jeeps life until my passenger caliper locked up on me trashing my pads and rotor. It was nice to just go to the store and not having to order a special rotor or drill out a bolt pattern.
I would appreciate it as well even though I already did it. There are so many threads about the WJ brake swap and so many are "I think these rotors will work" followed by someone saying they didn't look the same at the junkyard and another guy claiming he'll buy the parts and report back...but no one ever reports back. I drilled out the WJ rotors bc that was the only proven thing at the time but I don't want to drill rotors ever again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in