windshield wipers stop on driverside? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
boomer7575

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
windshield wipers stop on driverside?

when i bought my Jeep Wrangler YJ the wipers didn't work the owner gave me a bran new one in the box still shut, so I take the windshield down to get to the motor I noticed the wiper bar was disconnected from the motor, so i pop it back onto the wiper motor put the windshield back up then turned the key then turn the wipers on the wiper start working again i don't need to use the new wiper motor and l will safe it for when it does break down but I noticed when i shut off the wiper it would stop on the driver side not the passenger side like I see on other Jeeps does anyone have the same issue with there wipers and if there is way to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

To clarify - they go through a proper cycle, and then stop on the wrong half of the cycle? I don't know much about it, but possibly the park switch is installed backwards or something like that.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Maybe your windshield is upside down!!!!

Seriously. You may be able to remove the motor and reclock the drive link off the back of the motor. The part that is held on by a nut that the FSM tells you to never remove.

Wipers that do not stop in the correct position can be a drag to figure out.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
boomer7575

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
when i bought the YJ the wiper didn't work but it came with a new motor in the box from Essentials the old owner thought the motor stopped working and ordered a new one so when I bought the YJ I tried to install the new one, in the process of doing this i snapped my hinges on the windshield frame that sucked, now i was able to take the wiper motor off I noticed the linkage was disconnected from the motor, so this is what happened next i tried to reach the electrical plug so i could disconnect male and female plug connector, but i couldn't reach it I have a bad back and I'm a heavy set person, so I reconnected the wiper linkage bar back on the old motor to see if the motor worked I turned the key then the wiper switch and they worked fine but they stop on the wrong side, I think the problem is the wiper turn knob you turn for the wipers on from the signal arm switch on the steering column because the other day I noticed on the wiper knob when I turn it off it stops on the driver side but if I turn the knob just a little like a hair turn it stops on passenger side of the windshield, so i think i need to replace that whole signal arm with the wiper knob does anyone else had or have this problem too if so am I right about replacing that signal arm that's connected to the steering column can it be done or do i need to replace the whole steering column for 87 YJ my repair manual doesn't show how to replace that part anybody that has the answer please respond Thank YOU.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 05:03 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the control box under the dash (held on by velcro) is bad it'll just stop where you turn off the switch. If you turn it off and it continues to move to the driver side to park, then something is wrong with where the motor believes it is in relation to the stroke etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
boomer7575

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
i got new hinges for the windshield when i replace them im going to look at the motor connection to see whats up and i will try to install the new motor if i cant figure out the old one and if the new one does the same thing stop on the driver side then it must be the switch knob on the steering column that causing the issue all the Jeep's I see are on the passenger side so far I'm the only one in my area with this problem i would like to fix it
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer7575 View Post
i got new hinges for the windshield when i replace them im going to look at the motor connection to see whats up and i will try to install the new motor if i cant figure out the old one and if the new one does the same thing stop on the driver side then it must be the switch knob on the steering column that causing the issue all the Jeep's I see are on the passenger side so far I'm the only one in my area with this problem i would like to fix it
The switch on your column seems to be working correctly. If the motor doesnt fix it I would be looking that the control box under the dash as another said. It is also much easier to replace than that multi function lever. If you dont care about timed wipers you can also just remove that box if I remember correctly but you will only have off low and high

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
boomer7575

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thank siva283 for the info that's good to know that I have that option.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

No worries man good luck.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

WHen you remove that box you should connect the wiring connectors together. IIRC they wiill plug right into each other

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #11 of 12 Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
boomer7575

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thank for the info everybody you guy are the best and i do mean that once again thanks.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2019, 11:21 PM
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Maybe your windshield is upside down!!!!

Seriously. You may be able to remove the motor and reclock the drive link off the back of the motor. The part that is held on by a nut that the FSM tells you to never remove.

Wipers that do not stop in the correct position can be a drag to figure out.

This is your answer above. been there, done that. re-clock the linkage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in