2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeeperDon
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-12-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Windsheild sun shade ?

I thought this Google search would have turned up bunches of results, but not so. I just want a simple sun shade to put in the window to reduce the temp in our Wrangler. The only ones I found on line that were specifically for a YJ were fancy $60 ones. Anyone have a source ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
these are generic, cheap, and they work. they fold up, into a small disc, and can be stored in the included bag. unfold them, pop one into each half of the windshield, and fold down your visors and you're done. all of our vehicles get a tint inside the windshield here. it's a uv blocking film, that keeps out 94% of the uv rays.

we run the lightest shade (almost clear) and you can't tell from the outside that it's there. we use weathertech visors, but you said you dont want to spend the bucks. we have some of these cheap folding ones, for rental cars, back windows, etc. mine are over ten years old, and still look new.

https://www.amazon.com/XBRN-Windshie...0MGXJAYD0CD7PQ

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Go to a truck stop. Get the one that looks like a aluminum non-skid plate on one side and durable insulated foil on the other. Then cut it to size.
I used mine today (on my truck)
It was sunny and the real temp was 121* deep in the Colorado River canyon. The side facing the sun was too hot to touch, literally.

It's the best sun shade I've ever had.

The store at modern truck stop carries some very cool stuff. High quality and good prices.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."

post #4 of 11 Old 07-13-2020, 09:23 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take the doors off, done.
bruinjeeper likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

"Take the doors off, done."

Not sure where you live, but, I don't want the Jeep open to the public.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-13-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

" Get the one that looks like a aluminum non-skid plate on one side and durable insulated foil on the other. Then cut it to size. "

I might try that. There is a truck stop not too far from home.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
" Get the one that looks like a aluminum non-skid plate on one side and durable insulated foil on the other. Then cut it to size. "

I might try that. There is a truck stop not too far from home.
Truckers know their stuff. For certain things, trust the truckers.

They come in different sizes because truck windshields vary.
I used a big one for my F350 and trimmed to fit. It has suction cups too.

The side that faces out looks like shiny aluminum diamond plate. It's a few layers thick.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #8 of 11 Old 07-13-2020, 12:16 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Truckers know their stuff. For certain things, trust the truckers.

They come in different sizes because truck windshields vary.
I used a big one for my F350 and trimmed to fit. It has suction cups too.

The side that faces out looks like shiny aluminum diamond plate. It's a few layers thick.
When I was driving people used to ask about truckers knowing the best places to eat but I always told them the top priority was a big parking lot with easy in and out.
mark1305 likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
"Take the doors off, done."

Not sure where you live, but, I don't want the Jeep open to the public.
if you live in place where they will go into your jeep with the doors off, i wouldn't be comfortable with a soft top either.

And if you do live in one of those places, you probably wouldn't keep anything valuable in there would you?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #10 of 11 Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am not super comfortable with the soft top. I will keep it behind a gate in the back yard, once I make sure the dogs can't get to that area. When we bought it in 1992, we were not in the same place, but, even then, some one unzipped a door and stole my wife's gym bag and her teacher bag with lesson notes in it. The only thing in the Jeep is the owner's manual, when I "lock" it up. I hope to just discourage the petty types who are just going to rifle through the thing looking for money or something they can sell.

I think it would be easier, to just get a good sun shade. Besides, this time of year the wind blows enough that I would have to clear out the dried up weeds that blow around and pile up against my fence.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 04:50 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lucky for me Canadians just look at my jeep and wonder "what is that thing?" As opposed to saying "what's in that thing?".

My idea of a sunshade . . .
Attached Thumbnails
20200502_135228_1594810189596.jpg  

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in