Window Crank Removal!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
DaJeepMan9

Window Crank Removal!!

I know that this sounds like a very silly question, But I need to know the proper way to remove the window crank on my hard doors.
I bought the doors over the summer at the junk yard, And this year I'm planning on re-painting them to match my Jeep. (My Jeep is red and they're tan!!) so I need to remove the door panels before doing it. Plus I wanna switch the locks onto them from my half doors!!
I've looked at the cranks themselves, And for the life of me I can't tell what type that they are. If I'm supposed to pry a cap off to remove a screw, or if they're like the ones that GM used to use that had a retaining clip holding them on? And being plastic, I don't wanna mangle them up trying to take them off the wrong way!!
Also, Can anybody tell me the proper way to remove stick-on pin stripes?? I've tried using solvent and a razor blade etc. And it's such a long slow process!!

Thanks for all of your help!!
Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
lilfoot

I just had mine off 2 weeks ago (some idiot tried to pry the lock cylinder open, and made a small crease in the sheet metal--had to replace the lock cylinder and hammer and dolly the crease out---thankfully it did not damage the paint).

On my 88 YJ there were held on with a screw in the centre of the handle.

It almost looks like they were covered with a plastic cap or tape peviously, but it had been removed and the screws were visible.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
cjb7804

Yep, should be a torx or allen head screw inside the handle. I've taken mine off a couple times and mines a 88' also.

1988 Wrangler, 2000 Cherokee Freedom Edition,

post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
DaJeepMan9

Thanks Guys!!

The cover of that crank looks so perfect that I honestly couldn't tell if it was a cover or not. And I didn't wanna ruin it in the process of removing it!!
Larry
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Bobbywolf

It's actually pretty hard to remove that cover without damaging it. Use the smallest flat blade screwdriver you have and pry gently. When you put it back, there are ridges that have to line up or it wont fit right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in