Winch suggestions - JeepForum.com
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 04-17-2021, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Winch suggestions

I am doing my diligent research on winches but it seems that there are more and more of them on the market and everybody swears by what they bought (kinda like guys who swear by their RC springs and shocks). I know many of you guys have seen a lot of different ones in action and have first hand experience with how they really perform.

What do you guys look for and suggest? What is the price point of a reliable winch and how heavy of a rating is needed? I am sure that most of you suggest a synthetic rope. What brands are ok and what are a no go?

What other recovery equipment do you carry?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 04-17-2021, 06:27 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have run Mile Marker and Warn. The Warn Zeon 10 I have now is a much better winch is a much better winch then the Mile Marker. With the MM it was hard to even get the winch cable out when I needed it even to the point of needing to power out line rather then just pulling it out. The MM solenoid broke on the second use and altho it didn't keep the winch from working it was annoying. The Zeon is made in the US from US parts if that matters and has lower amp draw then any of the others I had looked at and higher line speeds. They also have a VR line of winches that are made in china but still have Warn quality. I would get another MM as well because it always worked when I needed it, its just has some quirks. I have never used or been around any other winch brand then these two so I cant say anything about them but these two I know will work when you need them to.
As for weight of pull it should be at least 2X the loaded weight of your Jeep. I went with 10,000 pounds mostly to keep the strain off the winch and amp draw lower when in use.
I run a steel cable because I haven't yet been able to justify the cost of the synthetic.
Other equipment I keep is a snatch block (I should have two of them) tree savers, a few shackles or soft shackles, gloves, and a snatch line.
post #3 of 62 Old 04-17-2021, 07:37 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

On the YJ I had a Warn M-8000. A very good winch IMO. Always works well. I pulled the cable for some blue steel synth. Mostly b/c the 8000 only came with 80ft or cable and you can put 100ft or synth on in it's place. Worked well.

On the LJ, it came with a Warn 9.5 and steel cable. I've used it a few times intermittently and even tho I like synthetic better, I've decided to keep the cable vs. the cost of the other. Steel works fine in now and again situations and so I see no need to spend the money on synth at this time.

If I used it more often, I would want the synth for it's ease and safety, but for now, I"ll keep the steel.

And obviously, I've only used Warn. If it ain't broke, why change?

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

post #4 of 62 Old 04-17-2021, 09:48 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a really good deal on a Recon 10K and it has worked very well although slow. Randy's 9.5 is probably twice the speed and is a very nice winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 62 Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 PM
whodatschrome

I happen to have quite a few Warn winches, so i guess i'm partial to that brand? But whatever you choose, i'd steering you towards a winch that has a contactor type switch and not a solenoid. You can also upgrade many winches with a contactor switch. Those solenoids seems to go out at the most inopportune time.
post #6 of 62 Old 04-18-2021, 08:02 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Badlands winches from Harbor Freight get raving reviews from just about everyone that uses them. You can't get a better winch at the price point.

I've used both Warns and my Rugged Ridge winch and I've never had problems with any of them. I will say that spooling cable out of my Rugged Ridge winch is pretty difficult. I'm breathing pretty hard by the time I have all 100ft spooled out. Dad put a Badlands winch on mom's Jeep, but it hasn't been used yet.

I can probably claim the title of the only guy on this forum who's winched a dead horse with his winch.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 62 Old 04-18-2021, 08:33 PM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've had Warn and Milemarker and hands down the best, but $$$... I briefly tried rough country / rugged ridge and the early smittys and they all crapped out with in 6 months..

I have some harbor freight ones for utility winches but too slow for off road and I'd never trust a $250 winch when I' counting on it...

You get what you pay for....

For my money now I go Superwinch tiger shark series... I've had 3 on my last 3 builds and I use the Sh#t out of them.... Thats how I bent my PS winch bumper... but they have never let me down, 15* winter or the summer... The tiger shark is their overseas less $$ line, but based off the US builds... Like the warn zeons... I just grabbed a Tiger shark 13,500 for my Duramax...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 62 Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Found they all work, some nicer than others.
Had a Rugged Ridge 8500 on my Blazer, worked well until I sold the truck. Fairly quick line speed too.
HF, seen one of them, just stop, "exceed"(?) the duty cycle just pull in cable in. This was a 10K and adding a new solidstate contractor helped but didn't cure the issue. Painfully slow line speed, even unloaded.
Warn has a good name but on the last run I saw a M8000 "overheat?"/exceed duty cycle, would stop working while doing a long pull. Not sure what the issue was.
Personal preference is an Warn 8274. Pull hard and fast but expensive (stupid expensive if new) and upright mounted, different than bolting to a standard plate.
I run Bigfoot synthetic because it's so much nicer to deal with and I got a good deal. Found you have to be careful with slack in the line, has a tendency to pinch and reverse wind the rope, usually a quick yank will pull it out if caught fast enough.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #9 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 04:55 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

And Bob reminded me... Definitely synthetic line...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #10 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 07:08 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I`ll stay out of the winch brand discussion.

Far as recovery equipment there is only one company that features well thought out products (some that are designed by Blaine himself) and is run by wheelers for wheelers.

https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/

(1) Tactical Recovery Equipment | Facebook

Call Kristin or Ricky have them hook you up.

EDIT: Why do my pictures always get turned when they are uploaded ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3099.jpg  
post #11 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
when I first got my jeep I bought a mile marker from some craigslist seller. It worked fine but is really slow. After one particular trip of pulling cable all day I finally got a warn. Of course bring a cheapskate I still got it used but it's so much faster

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #12 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 09:56 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
EDIT: Why do my pictures always get turned when they are uploaded ?
If your phone is turned sideways when the pic is taken in landscape mode, the forum automatically rotates back to portrait mode. I'm not sure if you were to rotate prior if it would make a difference. It's the forums way of saying "it's me, not you..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

After almost spending the night in Pritchett Canyon because my friend's Warn burned up I bought a Quadratec Stealth 9500 with synthetic rope for about $500. I've winched quite a bit with it over the last 5 years and it has been great.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta
post #14 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
If your phone is turned sideways when the pic is taken in landscape mode, the forum automatically rotates back to portrait mode. I'm not sure if you were to rotate prior if it would make a difference. It's the forums way of saying "it's me, not you..."

That could be it. Most of the pictures are from the phone. Thanks for the help.
post #15 of 62 Old 04-19-2021, 01:39 PM
gehlsurf

I lucked out and got a Warn XD9000I from Amazon for $1,100. They are now about $1,250, but maybe use some credit card points? Or apply for the card for $150 off? Or look around.

I looked at used, Warn 8274 and the XD9000I. But once you own an 8274 plate, you kind of have to stick to that, cause no others winches match that footprint. And used XD9000I's on Craigslist were about $900 (they hold their value) and missing fairleads, or cable was shredded and rusted badly, etc. Just kinda seemed right to pay an extra $200 and get new, warranty and shiny, lol.

I havent used it yet, but the XD9I is all metal and enclosed case for the circuitry, so has a cool look, IMHO and built a tad better, it seems.

Here's what it look like on a YJ, If interested.
20210419_154123_1618861311453.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in