winch cable? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 06-27-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
winch cable?

i've been looking at winches lately . what's better steel cable or Synthetic Rope i live in northern az and lots of sharp rocks everywhere .will the Synthetic Rope hold up to the rocks or will steel be better in this area . thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-27-2020, 01:10 PM
04TJ-jeeper

1990 YJ Wrangler 

i prefer synthetic purely from a weight and safety perspective. it is (from my experience) more prone to damage, anything from rubbing against solid objects to spooling incorrectly. however as I mentioned the safety benefits far surpass that of steel. if you're worried about the chafing from rocks steel will also be damaged over time.

1987 YJ 4.2 / 1990 YJ 4.2 / 1995 YJ 4.0 / 2014 JKU / 2019 JLU
post #3 of 26 Old 06-27-2020, 02:58 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Another vote for synthetic. We have similar terrain here in SoCal and I’ve never had a rope break from rubbing the rocks. Personally I’ll never run steel cable again.
Synthetic rope is
Lighter
Easier to handle and work with
Safer (no risk of steel slivers in your hands, doesn’t store kinetic energy like cable does, if it breaks it will just drop to the ground instead of potentially slicing off a limb)

Pretty much any rope you get will come with an abrasion guard sleeve you can position on the rope if it does have to run near anything sharp.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

post #4 of 26 Old 06-27-2020, 06:06 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Synthetic for all the reasons listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Steel will hold to abuse and neglect a lot better but will obviously be more catastrophic when that abuse and neglect catches up. I have synthetic for the reasons above with weight and safety being the big ones for me.

One thing that hasn't been said... If your synthetic does rope break, you can splice it back together for the rest of the trip. It's compromised and weaker once you do that so don't consider it a long term solution but at least you can potentially still get yourself or someone else out of a jam. If a steel cable breaks, it's done.

IMO, you should have $15-$20 winch cover regardless so UV, rust, and road grime is irrelevant. It does amaze me how many people just leave their winch and rope sitting in the sun.
92 Green YJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-28-2020, 05:55 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most synthetic lines come with a "sleeve" that you can slide up and down the cable to put up against rocks or other objects the line will rub. The "sleeve" will stay in place and let the cable slide through it, preventing damage.
I run synthetic as well. Weight and safety are the biggest reasons. If the synthetic line breaks and hits you, it will not be good, but it is not going to take a arm, leg, or head off like a steel cable would.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
thanks guys i was worried about rope getting cut/damaged on the rocks forgot about the sleves on the rope
post #8 of 26 Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.facebook.com/TacticalRecoveryEquipment/

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.co...YaddAomvKXYKM8

Recovery equipment designed by wheelers for wheelers. Call and talk to Kristen and she will be happy to answer any questions you have.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Old canvas, fire hose, etc makes great chafing gear...

Remember too that synthetic is a woven line and the same size diameter syn compared to same size steel usually has a 3000-5000# higher BS... so even with a few chafed / worn fibers and you are still working with a stronger line than steel...

As posted above, love the TRE products, running a safety thimble myself

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #10 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Guess Ill be the odd man out.. I prefer steel cable over synthetic rope any day

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

post #11 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would run synthetic, but I can't bring myself to throw away 125' of steel cable. Don't want it hanging around gathering dust either, and don't want to try to pack it as spare for a trail run. The winch spool makes a fine storage place for that cable.

So I think what I might do is buy the synthetic, and carry that for added length when needed to reach an anchor. Weighs little and takes up little space rolled up in a bag.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 AM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Guess Ill be the odd man out.. I prefer steel cable over synthetic rope any day
Gotta give us your reasons and arguments for steel cable and why you think it is superior to synthetic rope.

I always point out the Ultra4 cars and what they are all running at KOH. Haven’t seen a steel cable spooled up on one of their winches in years.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #13 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Gotta give us your reasons and arguments for steel cable and why you think it is superior to synthetic rope.

I always point out the Ultra4 cars and what they are all running at KOH. Haven’t seen a steel cable spooled up on one of their winches in years.
KOH rigs care about weight, I on the other hand could careless about weight. My whole frame is plated with 3/16" steel, my skids are all 1/4" steel. I choose ruggedness over lightweight. And Im not speeding through the desert at 90mph, I pretty much just do rocks. I rarely get out of 4low 2nd gear with the 4 banger

In my personal experience, I have seen multiple synthetic ropes fail from tears, rips, frays, etc. I have only seen one steel cable issue which could have been avoided and could have also happened with synthetic, they ran it out to far and it pulled off the drum. Again, just my personal experience over the past 12 years or so

Cable can just live through more abuse. When I actually have to use my winch, I don't want to worry about all the downfalls of synthetic. Just hook my cable up and pull. Im on my second cable now while some of the guys in my club have gone through several ropes

Actually just picked up another Warn with steel cable to put on my jeep and throw the old one on my trailer

post #14 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I would run synthetic, but I can't bring myself to throw away 125' of steel cable. Don't want it hanging around gathering dust either, and don't want to try to pack it as spare for a trail run. The winch spool makes a fine storage place for that cable.

So I think what I might do is buy the synthetic, and carry that for added length when needed to reach an anchor. Weighs little and takes up little space rolled up in a bag.
I thought this same thing and then one day I kinked my cable because I flipped the winch to free spool and the cable did what it always does and unwound itself into a birds nest. Only this time, I didn't need very much cable and apparently didn't get the birds nest out before tightening it back up.

post #15 of 26 Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post

One thing that hasn't been said... If your synthetic does rope break, you can splice it back together for the rest of the trip. It's compromised and weaker once you do that so don't consider it a long term solution but at least you can potentially still get yourself or someone else out of a jam. If a steel cable breaks, it's done.
Actually, If you carry a 0ga wire lug you can make a trail repair. Crimp/smash the lug on the broken end and spool it back up, assuming you have more than 15 feet or so and it will be just as strong, just shorter. Id trust that over a compromised spliced rope

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in