Will an 89 YJ fuel tank fit a 94 yj? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Will an 89 YJ fuel tank fit a 94 yj?

Straight forward question, need to replace my fuel tank, there's an 89 YJ tank that's $40 but I wanna know if it will fit a 94

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 04:19 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It will fit but fuel pumps are different

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstic View Post
Straight forward question, need to replace my fuel tank, there's an 89 YJ tank that's $40 but I wanna know if it will fit a 94

Why would you do that! The plastic is way better. What's wrong?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:

post #4 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post

The OE 20 gallon tank in my '89 is plastic, FWIW.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #5 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post

What else would be wrong?

post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2019, 06:51 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The vent tube or the connections for the supply or return line. I seriously dont think you have a bad tank. You need to drop it to look at it better.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2019, 01:37 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman71 View Post
That's because all of the 20 gallon tanks were plastic. The only true 15 gallon tanks were the 87-90 (or maybe '91) metal tanks. After that they were all the poly 20 gallon tanks, and some were restricted down to 15 by the vent tube so they could charge you more for something they already put in there.

I agree with Que, I'd certainly drop it and see what you've got going on before buying another tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman71 View Post
That's because all of the 20 gallon tanks were plastic. The only true 15 gallon tanks were the 87-90 (or maybe '91) metal tanks. After that they were all the poly 20 gallon tanks, and some were restricted down to 15 by the vent tube so they could charge you more for something they already put in there.

I agree with Que, I'd certainly drop it and see what you've got going on before buying another tank.
My steel tank I pulled for a plastic 20 would only take 13 when I had to run the starter to get up to the gas pumps lol

Honestly at this point I’d consider going back to 12 gallons if someone made one with the 20 gallon footprint but 3 or so inches shorter! I’m thinking about a Cherokee as DD and 12/13 is enough for something more trail-centric. I’d prefer my rear shackles to drag first

Cranking IS turning over
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just went the opposite way last weekend. Put my 94 tank into my 87. Both Jeeps have 20 gallon poly tanks. The big difference I saw was the 94 tank has a baffle inside that surrounds the fuel pick up. The 87 tank had nothing in that place so fuel pickup with lower fuel levels and slopes or acceleration for instance may be an issue.

Another thing with this swap, unrelated to the OP but noteworthy. My 87 is carbureted. The fuel sender that was original to this would in no way fit a newer tank with the baffle in it. The float arm is not configured correctly to work with the baffle. I had ordered a replacement tank unit from quadratec due to my sender being no good. The replacement sender is a fuel injected version minus the fuel pump. It comes with a rubber hose and tank pickup to go on in place of where the pump would be. This is an upgrade IMO because now I have a baffle surrounding my pickup screen to help with starvation and feed issues. It worked out for the better.

If you go from steel to poly or vice versa the filler neck hoses are most likely different.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Some 20 gal carburetor tanks have the same rectangular pattern hole on the top but had/have a fuel pickup and sender only. My 12 gal steel tank pump (tbi 2.5) wouldn’t fit a newer pump-in-tank as it was round. My first 20 gallon was from a 4.2 (1990?) and it took the fuel pump from a ‘93 2.5. (That’s what I’m running now with the 4.0)

Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Some 20 gal carburetor tanks have the same rectangular pattern hole on the top but had/have a fuel pickup and sender only. My 12 gal steel tank pump (tbi 2.5) wouldn’t fit a newer pump-in-tank as it was round. My first 20 gallon was from a 4.2 (1990?) and it took the fuel pump from a ‘93 2.5. (That’s what I’m running now with the 4.0)
Good point. I forgot to mention that all three of the tanks I have are the rectangular pattern hole in the top.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2019, 02:12 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the steel 15 gallon I pulled was a round opening, the 20 gallon poly (from an '87 4 banger) was rectangular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Hey boys, sorry for the wait, here was my issue.

There were bits of rock and metal in parts of the tank, probably from all the rusted pieces and dirt flakes scraping between the skid plate and the tank, replaced the whole tank and bought a brand (slighty used) new pump just to make sure. Luckily I found someone of eBay who was selling a 20 gallon tank on eBay for 180$

Advance Auto parts was trying to sell me one for 800$

post #14 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Fishstic

Garage
Also I was taking a small vacation, just got out of school so I wanted to take a week off before I get to working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in