Whip lash - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
AWJ

Whip lash

1992 sahara manual has been driving great but all of a sudden has developed the cut out cut on condition while driving i pull over and the rpms bounce from around 6-just under 1k if i let it cool off it will run flawlessly until its up to temp usually 4 mins i can crank it at home and it will set there and idle i rev it up to about 2k every few mins and no problem it only cuts off and on while driving any thoughts or suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am not one to throw parts at a vehicle but....... replace the crank sensor.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
AWJ

The one in there is from napa and reads no resistance but thats not to say its not failing when up to temp what is the recomended one and where is the place to get it? Thanks

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 12:44 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
IIRC they are a hall effect switch which has a transistor. There is more to them than a resistance test. Honestly, NAPA stuff is usually decent for aftermarket type stuff but they do have different grades like NAPA performer to NAPA Echlin.

How new is your NAPA sensor that you do not want to condemn it?

It could be ASD or crappy wiring related, tired fuel pump, etc. but your symptom sounds like a crank sensor more often than not.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
AWJ

It is a napa proformer and its about 3 months old the jeep itself was bought new by my dad and has never been off the road its been garage kept and is in great condition not to say that some wires and terminals may have corosion on them
post #6 of 11 Old 05-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
It is a napa proformer and its about 3 months old the jeep itself was bought new by my dad and has never been off the road its been garage kept and is in great condition not to say that some wires and terminals may have corosion on them
So the Napa part may have a warranty on it.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-05-2021, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
AWJ

I will take the old one in when i go get a new one today
post #8 of 11 Old 05-05-2021, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
AWJ

So when i went to take the old one off the bolts weren't tight i could turn them with my fingers kids must have come outside during the last install and got me side tracked didn't have time to test drive but i tightened it up and it cranked faster than ever hope that was the problem
post #9 of 11 Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
So when i went to take the old one off the bolts weren't tight i could turn them with my fingers kids must have come outside during the last install and got me side tracked didn't have time to test drive but i tightened it up and it cranked faster than ever hope that was the problem
I had a situation on a Cherokee we built. It would cut out, then high idle, then not start. It was a newer OBDII so we hooked up our Snap-on scanner to look at what was wrong. We could connect to the ECU, but the data kept disappearing and we had to re-start the vehicle, kill it, and the start reading again. We could not get a consistent connection for a running read either.

We assumed the ECU was borked and ordered a reman ECU. Once installed, the same issues happened.

From there I went through all of the ignition system checking for anything out of place. I visually inspected the coil and pulled the coil wire to replace the cables and noticed the two nuts that grounded and held the coil on were loose. I tightened them up, replaced the plug wires, and the issue went away forever.

We all miss things. I'm pretty sure a loose or floating CPS would cause the ECU to no know, at times, where the crank is and cause it to shut everything down to be safe.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #10 of 11 Old 05-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage

post #11 of 11 Old 05-09-2021, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
AWJ

Well tightening up the crank sensor didnt solve the problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in