What wiper blades fit ? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What wiper blades fit ?

I picked up some new wipers for the Jeep at AutoZone and the holes in the 13" wiper assembly does not line up properly for the pivot pin to slide in. Is there a brand I need to buy to fit my 92 Jeep properly ? First time I've run into this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think 11 or 12s are the correct size.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 PM
WhyJ94

12's I just bought them off Amazon last week: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CB6A88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #4 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your correct. 13s are too long. I think a 12 should work. The issue I had was that I didn't dig down to the bottom of the package and find the NEW pivot clip that came with the wipers. I was using the ones I had on the old ones.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 05:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I picked up some new wipers for the Jeep at AutoZone and the holes in the 13" wiper assembly does not line up properly for the pivot pin to slide in. Is there a brand I need to buy to fit my 92 Jeep properly ? First time I've run into this.
I use 13s. If you flip them around backwards. They line right up. Note, it does move the sweep higher up on the windshield

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped the 13s for 12s. They just barely miss the upper weather strip around the window. I think next time, I'll get 11s. I think I would be able to put the wiper arms further counter clock-wise on the splines, so the wipers would be lower on the windshield, when in the off position.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
What?

13” is an excellent upgrade.

I put the first set of the 13s on in 2014 primarily to get a better view in snow. I can’t imagine a scenario where shorter blades would help anything.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

13" hit the weather strip on the top by a good amount. 12" do miss that. If you want the wiper blades to stop more out of the way , then the 13" really go past the weather strip on the side of windshield on the passenger side. Even the 12" need to be stopped quite a bit before they hit the passenger side.

Modern cars are nice in that they drop all the way out of site. My old Taurus SHO did that, and is was a 95.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
13" hit the weather strip on the top by a good amount. 12" do miss that. If you want the wiper blades to stop more out of the way , then the 13" really go past the weather strip on the side of windshield on the passenger side. Even the 12" need to be stopped quite a bit before they hit the passenger side. Modern cars are nice in that they drop all the way out of site. My old Taurus SHO did that, and is was a 95.
You adjust the blade angle by moving the arms on the posts for optimal coverage; run the long side down.

Jeeps aren’t cars (thankfully) and the iconic throwback visible wipers are like that on a boat, airplane, CJ, or many other old vehicles is a visual reminder of a time when vehicles were designed for utility, driving, and serviceability and not with self-closing doors and automatic seat belts. Heritage. Driving a jeep is part throwback to a simpler, wiser time but it’s also speaking heritage. We don’t need a hidden butler’s arm to wipe our glass.

The 13” wiper blade works quite well to widen and lower the visual clear line of sight that helps mitigate the tunnel effect a jeep can have in snow or muddy-road driving behind other traffic. If the wipers on a jeep are bothersome to see imho you’re not looking far enough ahead on the road.

Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

" You adjust the blade angle by moving the arms on the posts for optimal coverage; run the long side down. "

Yes, you can put the arm at any spot on the posts, but they hit the rubber seal around the window. That's not good for the wiper or the seal. I'm not sure what you mean by long side down. The wiper arm and a bend to it , but the pivot point looks to be centered on the blade to me.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 09:10 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I run 14". Did not do anything special, just put them on. Have replaced them a couple of times since posting about it. No issues at all.

Yes, the touch the weatherstripping at the top. So what? Does no harm. Glides right over it.

Read all about it.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...grade-2384441/

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 07:11 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
14”!!! Whoa, dude, I don’t have the kind of money for fancy Hollywood bling like that...
bruinjeeper and Leroy_Q like this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

" So what? Does no harm. Glides right over it."

It will prematurely wear out that section of wiper blade and then it won't clear the rain as well.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
" So what? Does no harm. Glides right over it."
It will prematurely wear out that section of wiper blade and then it won't clear the rain as well.
Okay.

Well it hasn’t hurt anything for at least two of us and here in Vermont at least wipers get used hard and the blades need replacing from use long before they wear out anything prematurely...

I don’t know why I’m so cranked about this and geesh there’s these opinions but I’ve done the 13” blades for years now and I don’t think it will work, I don’t have an opinion that it works - I know it works.

Try it, you’ll like it.

Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 22 Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

agreed.

13's all the way here.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in