What suspension/lift kit to choose - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What suspension/lift kit to choose

Hi all,

I have a RHD 94 YJ and with this forums help I think I have pinned the bump steer and dart breaking down to an unnecessary drop pitman arm installed on my vehicle with stock suspension. I can't find a RHD power steering pitman arm (5200 6505) anywhere and they have been discontinued.

I was intending to swap the old suspension out for new anyway but as I cant get the correct pitman I am thinking get the appropriate lift would solve the issue?

How would I figure out what lift kit and specifically height to match the pitman arm?

I have been looking at kits like this:
https://www.morris4x4center.com/roug...f-springs.html

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pictured 1st is my current setup. 2nd is an image I found online showing (top) a stock YJ pitman and (bottom) a stock XJ Cherokee pitman that looks a lot more like the one installed on mine.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E9706.jpg   maxresdefault.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASHD0WN View Post
Hi all,

I have a RHD 94 YJ and with this forums help I think I have pinned the bump steer and dart breaking down to an unnecessary drop pitman arm installed on my vehicle with stock suspension. I can't find a RHD power steering pitman arm (5200 6505) anywhere and they have been discontinued.

I was intending to swap the old suspension out for new anyway but as I cant get the correct pitman I am thinking get the appropriate lift would solve the issue?

How would I figure out what lift kit and specifically height to match the pitman arm?

I have been looking at kits like this:
https://www.morris4x4center.com/roug...f-springs.html

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pictured 1st is my current setup. 2nd is an image I found online showing (top) a stock YJ pitman and (bottom) a stock XJ Cherokee pitman that looks a lot more like the one installed on mine.
I'm confused. The part number provided comes up as a 2001 Jeep YJ Pittman arm. By the looks of it, it's readily available for purchase.

5200-6505.jpg

All that being said, the TJ had RHD model as well. The TJ pittman (LH Drive) will fit on a YJ IIRC. Why not get one of those? https://www.quadratec.com/products/918006_05.htm

In my research, i could not find a difference between a RHD and LHD pittman arm.

is this a troll?

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

In answer to your lift question: How do you plan on using the Jeep? What type of trails? What level of difficulty? What size tires?

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #4 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 04:17 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Before you do this lift.

Snap 4 pics and do a small write up and throw into the Stocktober YJOTM contest. Your jeep is sweet

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...4412669?page=2

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #5 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I'm confused. The part number provided comes up as a 2001 Jeep YJ Pittman arm. By the looks of it, it's readily available for purchase.

Attachment 3939153

All that being said, the TJ had RHD model as well. The TJ pittman (LH Drive) will fit on a YJ IIRC. Why not get one of those? https://www.quadratec.com/products/918006_05.htm

In my research, i could not find a difference between a RHD and LHD pittman arm.

is this a troll?
That's interesting I'm going off this parts list for a YJ, looks like the 2001 TJ and 94 YJ used the same part, 5200 6505. It lists LHD and RHD as different parts though, so I'm hesitant to go with the LHD.

I have been able to find 5200 6505 for sale in the US, but no one will ship to UK and can't find one in the UK.

18006.05 is TJ - Thanks to you I've now found 18006.03 for a YJ... so what's the difference between a 18006.03 and a 5200 6505? I'll try order it and find out

https://www.quadratec.com/products/918006_03.htm

Thanks for the assist
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Aug 14, 8 52 31 PM.jpg  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In answer to your lift question: How do you plan on using the Jeep? What type of trails? What level of difficulty? What size tires?
People might hate this answer but mostly cruising on tarmac with the occasional ride through some fields in the summer. So no trails and 0 difficulty. Hence not wanting a big lift, just to replace the suspension with more modern, comfortable ride. Now I'm also having to consider an option to match the pitman if all else fails. 16 rims, 31 AT tyres, hardtop, no winch or wrack
post #7 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Before you do this lift.

Snap 4 pics and do a small write up and throw into the Stocktober YJOTM contest. Your jeep is sweet

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...4412669?page=2

Cheers mate. Next time she's got her face done and is all dressed up to go out I might just do that
post #8 of 14 Old 10-09-2020, 05:43 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
People might hate this answer but mostly cruising on tarmac with the occasional ride through some fields in the summer. So no trails and 0 difficulty. Hence not wanting a big lift, just to replace the suspension with more modern, comfortable ride. Now I'm also having to consider an option to match the pitman if all else fails. 16 rims, 31 AT tyres, hardtop, no winch or wrack
In that case, the kit you listed is worth it.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #9 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In that case, the kit you listed is worth it.
Do you mean 2.5" lift should eliminate (or minimise) the bump steer from the drop pitman as well or just that the lift kit suits how I will be using the vehicle?

Thanks
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also, Old Man Emu would cost me about £2000 to get in the UK. Are they worth 4x the cost for my application? I'm not rich, but I want to do this properly, even if it costs me .
post #11 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Also, Old Man Emu would cost me about £2000 to get in the UK. Are they worth 4x the cost for my application? I'm not rich, but I want to do this properly, even if it costs me .
only you can answer the cost question but the OME springs will give the best ride by far. I didn't look at the kit you posted but you really only need springs and bushings shocks at the most basic. for 2 1/2 there is little chance of needing a transfer case drop or anything else

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #12 of 14 Old 10-11-2020, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

18006.05 is TJ - Thanks to you I've now found 18006.03 for a YJ... so what's the difference between a 18006.03 and a 5200 6505? I'll try order it and find out

https://www.quadratec.com/products/918006_03.htm
Sadly Quadratec just contacted me to cancel the order for 18006.03 . Non available
post #13 of 14 Old 10-11-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
only you can answer the cost question but the OME springs will give the best ride by far. I didn't look at the kit you posted but you really only need springs and bushings shocks at the most basic. for 2 1/2 there is little chance of needing a transfer case drop or anything else
This is currently the working plan - Got EMU 2.5 YJ lift kit available for £1200. Bargain. If it's in stock. I've sent some emails.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2020, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update -

1. I've ordered a 2.5" Old Man Emu kit - lead time 4-6 weeks

2. I have got my hands on a CA stock pitman for a YJ with power steering, it's listed as LHD and mine is RHD. Couple of weeks and I have a guy I know with a garage and tools to help me try swapping it out to correct the bump steer and finally answer the question or whether they are interchangeable. If I survive the drive home I'll update you all so we with RHD vehicles know one way or the other.

Will match pitman to the lift kit and remove front and rear tracks. Get everything aligned and let you know how it (she?) drives. Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in