What is different about 1987 YJ soft top? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rod_Danglewood

1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is different about 1987 YJ soft top?

My 1987 YJ has a Bestop Supertop on it that's 20+ years old and about to give up the ghost. 1988-1995s seem to have plenty of options but fewer for 1987's, which of course drives up the price. I'm told the 87 has a different door seal; something about snaps above the door. My question is: can an 87 can be readily modified to take the 88-95 tops. Quadratec has some nice options for 88-95 with the OEM bows, but my 87 with the Supertop bows seems to be left out in the cold. It also seems that the OEM soft top frame is a better option than the Bestop since the Bestop locks you in to only being able to use their very expensive replacement tops. I feel like I'm about to get F'd into having to fork over more than $800 for a replacement Supertop, when I could spend less and get more if I had an 88-on with the OEM style hardware. Opinions?

1987 YJ, 4.2L, Holley carb, Nutter bypass, 4" lift, 4.88 gears, 8.8 ARB rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have an 87 and had a couple different tops. Mine has snaps at the front of the door by the mirror. I never use them though. Maybe that's different than later models? Dunno but currently I have a quadra top using the OEM hardware.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2016, 07:01 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine why any YJ full top wouldn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Mediceagle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
They make adaptors. I bought them and used them with a used 92 factory top. After giving up on the hand me down I bought the Best Top and I don't need the adaptors anymore. They are cheep. If you leave close I will happily give them to you. I even have multiple sets of factory hardware.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM
JeepJJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the uppers snapped onto the door instead of using the rail system thing. My 87 just has one snap by the mirror and then the rail. I have an old supertop and assumed a PO had modified it. But like I said I may be wrong and all of them are like that. I need a new top and have been putting it off because of the confusion and the freaking prices.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 with half doors and soft top has the following.

One snap on each door to hold the front of the upper half door to the door. Then either 4 or 5 snaps on the top frame above the doors to hold the top to the frame. The front of the top attaches to the windshield channel.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rod_Danglewood

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all for the input. I took the plunge a couple days ago and ordered the Quadratop that comes complete with the OEM-style frame. Paper catalog says it's for 88-95 but the website listing for the same item (and the instructions) say 87-95. Who freakin' knows. Assuming this works I should have quite a few additional options, and cheaper options, for soft top replacements down the road. Will post the results when all is done.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Rod_Danglewood

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the offer on this. Much appreciated. If it looks like I need the adapters I would gladly send you a prepaid box to ship them in. Would you be willing to post a couple pictures? I won't know whether I have everything I need until I actually assemble this thing. I've seen some 87 specific adapter rails on the Quadratec (http://www.quadratec.com/products/11021_0203.htm) but don't know if these are the same as what you've offered.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rod_Danglewood

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediceagle View Post
They make adaptors. I bought them and used them with a used 92 factory top. After giving up on the hand me down I bought the Best Top and I don't need the adaptors anymore. They are cheep. If you leave close I will happily give them to you. I even have multiple sets of factory hardware.

Thanks for the offer on this. Much appreciated. If it looks like I need the adapters I would gladly send you a prepaid box to ship them in. Would you be willing to post a couple pictures? I won't know whether I have everything I need until I actually assemble this thing. I've seen some 87 specific adapter rails on the Quadratec (http://www.quadratec.com/products/11021_0203.htm) but don't know if these are the same as what you've offered.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Mediceagle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
looks like this;
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_0011.htm

I won't be able to get a pick for a few days. long days at work. Tuesday or Wednesday I can do.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Mediceagle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediceagle View Post
looks like this;
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_0011.htm

I won't be able to get a pick for a few days. long days at work. Tuesday or Wednesday I can do.
Here is the pics

forumrunner_20160824_150849.jpg

forumrunner_20160824_150842.jpg

forumrunner_20160824_150837.jpg

87 YJ 8.8 4:56 35's Sold
04 TJ Rubicon 35"s
15 JK Rubicon Wife's DD
18 Powerwagon DD
post #12 of 13 Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Rod_Danglewood

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went ahead and got the Quadratop with complete with the OEM style frame. How is the 1987 different from the 88-95 models as far as the top goes? Apparently it isn't. I had zero installation issues. Online Quadratec says this top is only for 88-95s, but the paper catalog and instructions say 87-95. Someone is fibbing for unknown reasons...

So I replaced a 20+ year old Supertop which was falling apart. Product review on the Quadratop: Installation was easy and most of the screw holes had been made decades ago when my YJ had an OEM style top. I kept some of the Supertop mountings since they are a little higher quality and functionally identical to the Quadratop. Quadratop frame clearly says "Rampage" on the box by the way. Overall impression is that the Supertop frame is probably better designed than the OEM, but not night and day. The screwed in, plastic windshield frame adapters are probably the most noticeable (and cheezy) difference. Quadratec fabric top appears much lighter weight, and stretchier, than the old Supertop. Supertop was over 20 years old though so the sun may have baked rigidity into it. Supertop half door tops are no better than the OEM style with the Quadratec skins velcroed on, but Supertop doors are $328 with a non-separable frame and skin. This anal raping was my biggest incentive towards ditching the Supertop.

In sum total, Supertop had me locked in to one very expensive option for a replacement top. For well over $100 less, I now have an OEM frame that will provide much better, and more cost efficient options in the future. Additionally, I now have multiple replacement skin options, including heavier weight fabric, and replacing just the door skins for well under $150.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0048.jpg   KIMG0050.jpg   KIMG0399.jpg   KIMG0402.jpg   KIMG0403.jpg  

KIMG0405.jpg  

post #13 of 13 Old 09-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Ghostof309
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went through this same thing with my 87 just a few weeks ago. From what I understand in 87 the half doors came with snaps to connect the soft upper windows, after 87 they used a rail to clip the bottom of the window to. So if you got the rails from an 88+ you could install on your 87 or just get some 88+ half doors. Best top also had a different way to install the back side window years ago as well. the frame upright right behind the front seats also had a rail to clip the windows where the best top had a channel to slide the window into.
It was a pain hunting for all of the parts but I finally got mine installed.

Tags
1987 , bestop , soft top , supertop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in