What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 5444 - JeepForum.com
 9091Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81646 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 03:22 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well I have discovered that the brilliant info I read here on JF (usually good) and elsewhere is armchair parrot fodder. One cannot merely “swap the whole gauge cluster out - it’s plug’n’play - and add a signal wire.”
(I think I’ve repeated that myself- to my shame)

Clearly it’s not that simple unless you are a do-nothing mall-crawler with an iPad cuz it just plain doesn’t plug and play at the cluster.

I guess I’ll put that back together now.

(Anybody got a ‘spare’ pigtail with that plug on it? Or the part number for the modular? I looked quick on amazon but general terms yield incorrect results)

Attached Thumbnails
image_1600723248997.jpg  

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #81647 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Well I have discovered that the brilliant info I read here on JF (usually good) and elsewhere is armchair parrot fodder. One cannot merely “swap the whole gauge cluster out - it’s plug’n’play - and add a signal wire.”
(I think I’ve repeated that myself- to my shame)

Clearly it’s not that simple unless you are a do-nothing mall-crawler with an iPad cuz it just plain doesn’t plug and play at the cluster.

I guess I’ll put that back together now.

(Anybody got a ‘spare’ pigtail with that plug on it? Or the part number for the modular? I looked quick on amazon but general terms yield incorrect results)
What are you doing? What are you working on? I know that the clusters have different style connectors depending on the year but not sure what you are doing.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #81648 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Mine weighed 2975 or so and was missing a soft top and passenger front seat but the top frame was still there and had a couple of small boxes of parts in it to offset that some.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #81649 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
FWIW I had a 4200# tare at the transfer station with a ~250# trailer on. So I’d go with 3950.

QUOTE=Boojo35;41078485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
(brilliant info)
What are you doing? What are you working on? I know that the clusters have different style connectors depending on the year but not sure what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

I run a 1991 mpfi harness and 2.5l instruments. Speedo in ‘91 and prior is a cable drive. My lifted motor left me with a very flexed speedometer cable. So much flex so that it broke in the first 12 (or was it 21?) miles after I got it back on the road. I didn’t want to run it into the floor.
daddy jeep kindly sold me a cluster a month or so ago. I’m thankful; it was extraordinary effort on his part so I’m grateful.

Finally got around to installing it today. Or attempting. The later model bezel trim is probably needed as is/are the harness pigtails and plugin for the gauges.

The only thing I accomplished today was about 20-something repetitions of moving miniature bulbs around and an hour+ of attempts to get my directional indicators functioning and my CEL back. I gave up at R blinker indicator, CEL, and high beam light working cuz I needed to go do laundry.

Pretty sure I’m buying a cable and either creating a concave piece to weld in or- more likely- Just using a couple ebrake cable rubbers and looping it into and back out the floor.

Cranking IS turning over
post #81650 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 PM
LlanoTX95YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Limiting strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I built a cradle for my motor mounts which serves as my front mount.

My rear just attaches to the cross member under the seat.
Interesting, thanks for posting that. And makes sense for a radius arm set up. I think my leaves are doing the job so far for me...
post #81651 of 81775 Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 PM
LlanoTX95YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This weekend replaced broken axle, replaced bearing and seal, repaired brakes that spat out some pieces when the axle broke and drum came off. Tubes got a good cleaning and you can see why. Then doors off, load dog, and awesome drive to my mother's for some ranch labor in the welcome unusually cool weather. Come time time leave and it is raining, again unusual and welcome. Drove home with my squeegee handy and busy. Good weekend.
Attached Images

post #81652 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 11:10 AM
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday got the Hella H4's installed, along with the Hella headlight harness. I'm out of little clamps, so I still need to finish that part of it.
post #81653 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 11:47 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoTX95YJ View Post
Drove home with my squeegee handy...
perfect 🙂

Cranking IS turning over
post #81654 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I got the broken water neck bolt out by welding a nut or two to it. The first one didn't hold. I ran a tap through both holes just to be sure they were good and clean and used a little anti seize this time. Cooling system flush is officially complete.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #81655 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 04:02 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoTX95YJ View Post
This weekend replaced broken axle, replaced bearing and seal, repaired brakes that spat out some pieces when the axle broke and drum came off. Tubes got a good cleaning and you can see why. Then doors off, load dog, and awesome drive to my mother's for some ranch labor in the welcome unusually cool weather. Come time time leave and it is raining, again unusual and welcome. Drove home with my squeegee handy and busy. Good weekend.
Good work

But I do have to ask... you know why it broke, right? The axle that is.
Awesome likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #81656 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 04:20 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I weighed the jeep in at my wifes scale house. Came in at 4680 with me in it, so I guessing its about 4500lbs. Anyone else know the weight of their Jeeps?
Mine was just under 3,000 last time I weighed it. It's gotten slightly heavier since then. It's probably 3200 - 3300 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8FUN View Post
Yesterday got the Hella H4's installed, along with the Hella headlight harness. I'm out of little clamps, so I still need to finish that part of it.
You're upgrading your headlights and using vampire clips to do the wiring? Bro.... get a soldering iron and do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Good work

But I do have to ask... you know why it broke, right? The axle that is.
Yeah, he knows. We already got on him about it.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #81657 of 81775 Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 PM
LlanoTX95YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do I know why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Yeah, he knows. We already got on him about it.
Yes y'all did and I figured that was coming.

I am interested in the 8.8 ... just impatient to get back on the road. I have been mining the 8.8 consolidation thread and learning. The simplest swap, but still a challenge and will take time. Will push my skill level and I look forward to it. I am not a welder. Disappointed the Exploder at the ranch is independent rear. The '85 F150 has the right door code, but based on what i am reading may be too wide. I'll be back.
post #81658 of 81775 Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
You're upgrading your headlights and using vampire clips to do the wiring? Bro.... get a soldering iron and do it right.
Back when Ian Johnson was still on Extreme he addressed connecting wires and he recommended to NOT solder the connections. Soldering can make the wire brittle and more prone to breaking at the connection. I have been using crimp connectors without the crappy plastic sleeve and heat shrinking all my connections and they have a nice secure mechanical bond. I do agree to stay away from those "vampire" clips. They open up the insulation and do nothing to keep corrosion out.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #81659 of 81775 Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Back when Ian Johnson was still on Extreme he addressed connecting wires and he recommended to NOT solder the connections. Soldering can make the wire brittle and more prone to breaking at the connection. I have been using crimp connectors without the crappy plastic sleeve and heat shrinking all my connections and they have a nice secure mechanical bond. I do agree to stay away from those "vampire" clips. They open up the insulation and do nothing to keep corrosion out.
This ^^^^

I did electrical fabrication in a local Sea Ray plant for 3 years. ABYC code prohibited soldered connections for that exact reason - embrittled joints in a vibration prone environment. To meet ISO standards every six months we had to have samples of every gauge wire crimped together and weight tested for a specified period of time. They took the ISO certification so seriously get this - every six months we also had to have our Stanley brand tape measures checked against a standard length and a date tag taped on.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.
post #81660 of 81775 Old 09-23-2020, 11:04 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Today's lunch break shop time.... I bent up a new trans cooler line based off the coat hanger template I bent up.

AcidRaiN likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in