Weld on axle tie downs - JeepForum.com
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 03-15-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Weld on axle tie downs

Curious on what people's opinions are on the welded loops or eyes that you install on your axle tubes to tie down your Jeep for towing vs using the typical wrap around axle straps.

As I see it...
Pros for welded tie downs
Easier to tie down when towing
Won't wear on sharp objects on the axle
Can be positioned where ever you think is best

Cons for welded tie downs
Yours and everyone else's safety is dependent on your welding skill
Can get broken or bent on trail obstacles (backup straps still required)

Pros for axle straps
Very safe
Cheap and requires little to no skill to install

Cons for axle straps
Fray and tear over time
Has to be routed carefully around suspension, brake lines, etc
Limited in where they can be put on the axle
Can be too long making strapping down trickier if there is limited space on the trailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ever considered going thru the wheel? I'm probably gonna get these when I get a trailer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7YJ59G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

post #3 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am for them. I put them on mine this last four round. I wouldnít spend the $50 Macís wants for theirs. I got some ruffstuff tabs for waaay less.

Rear:

I I didnít want to cross my straps in the rear, but mine are too long to run straight.

Front:

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #4 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 05:39 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Another option would be to use wheel bonnet ratchet straps. 12,000 lb straps set of 4 for 125 bucks.
Probably the most secure way to attach to a trailer. Alter the trailer instead of the Jeep.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Wheel...p-Hooks-4-Pack

"Alferd Packer: ďStand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I am for them. I put them on mine this last four round. I wouldnít spend the $50 Macís wants for theirs. I got some ruffstuff tabs for waaay less.

Rear:

I I didnít want to cross my straps in the rear, but mine are too long to run straight.

Front:

Do you think you could hook the strap hook straight to the rear tabs or do you have to use the shackle?

post #6 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Another option would be to use wheel bonnet ratchet straps. 12,000 lb straps set of 4 for 125 bucks.
Probably the most secure way to attach to a trailer. Alter the trailer instead of the Jeep.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Wheel...p-Hooks-4-Pack
My biggest concern with those has always been max tire size. Some will tell you max tire size is 31" and others will claim maybe 33". Not sure I've ever seen one that goes higher than 33 but lots of them neglect to say any tire size limit which makes me think they're fine for cars only. Anything is use would have to accept at least a 38" tire.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

post #7 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I got ones designed for a shackle. The only company I know that makes one that the hood clips into is MAC's. The don't look difficult to make though.

post #8 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just throw the strap over/around the axle, between the shock tower and the brake. Here is an example of the loops for that purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (19).jpg  

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #9 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I just throw the strap over/around the axle, between the shock tower and the brake. Here is an example of the loops for that purpose.
That's currently what I have but I'm constantly weaving those straps in, under, and around things. After a few trips, they start to fray and get damaged too. I don't think the fraying will cause failure any time soon but it's a lot of fiddling for a less than perfect solution. I would love to be able to pull the jeep on the trailer and just snap all 4 clips onto a welded tie in point and tighten.

post #10 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 01:10 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Not to question your welds but 2 straps to one point kinda defeats four points tied down if that one weld decides to give.
JoonHoss, 97Mule and olmoggy1 like this.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

post #11 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 02:28 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I've never had an issue with the straps. I use the style that has the axle loop built into the strap, like THESE. I've had no problems around the front with them wrapping, little tighter in the back with the 14 bolt and the anti-wrap bar etc, but still no problems.

I like the idea of having a tab that the strap to go directly to, but I'm also a bit of a worrier with stuff like that. I know my whole axle isn't coming out, a single tab would have me a bit nervous, although probably no need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I guess I've never had an issue with the straps. I use the style that has the axle loop built into the strap, like THESE. I've had no problems around the front with them wrapping, little tighter in the back with the 14 bolt and the anti-wrap bar etc, but still no problems.

I like the idea of having a tab that the strap to go directly to, but I'm also a bit of a worrier with stuff like that. I know my whole axle isn't coming out, a single tab would have me a bit nervous, although probably no need to be.
I looked at those but there is no way I could get the snap hooks through 2 of the 4 locations I need to strap down on my jeep.

I guess this whole thread was created because I was a little worried as well but I think a curved mount is going to give a lot more surface area to weld to than a flat tab so I may try to get something like that.

I do think it's worth mentioning that a lot of the cheaper and smaller "tie down tabs" are actually meant for coolers and gear and not so much holding your jeep down.
timatoe likes this.

post #13 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 03:53 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
Not to question your welds but 2 straps to one point kinda defeats four points tied down if that one weld decides to give.

Meh Iím not worried about it. The mount is for recovery points for a bumper. I would have to rip a hole through my truss. At that point I think I have bigger issues to worry about.
paulhead likes this.

post #14 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have tie-down ratchet straps, but they don't seem as safe as chains to me. I see semis using them all the time, so I guess I'm wrong. The chains are easier for me to use though.
If I had to use ratchet straps, I'd buy some of the small adapter straps that tow truck companies use. The kind that use the tie-down holes in the frame.

The front chain goes through the frame crossmember tube. The rear chain is threaded through both rear clevis shackles. The strap on my tow hooks is just for backup.

d8 dice simulator
Azhunter1 likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #15 of 51 Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I have tie-down ratchet straps, but they don't seem as safe as chains to me. I see semis using them all the time, so I guess I'm wrong. The chains are easier for me to use though.
If I had to use ratchet straps, I'd buy some of the small adapter straps that tow truck companies use. The kind that use the tie-down holes in the frame.

The front chain goes through the frame crossmember tube. The rear chain is threaded through both rear clevis shackles. The strap on my tow hooks is just for backup.

d8 dice simulator
Everyone seems to tie down different but you might want to revisit your system.
Two theories:
1. Strap the axles down and let the body bounce on the springs.
This is my preference. Crank down the chains/straps holding the axles and/or tires in place.
Never broke a strap doing it this way.

2. Strap to the body and keep it from moving.
This is how most "trucks" tie down equipment. The suspension had to be full compressed to work this way, other wise the rig will bounce and take a chance of shock loading the chains/straps breaking them.
Broken strap doing it this way.

Just my two cents.
JoonHoss, jbolty and NHfireLJ like this.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in