Weird Electrical Issue with '95 Wrangler Sahara - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Weird Electrical Issue with '95 Wrangler Sahara

I've been having weird electrical issues with my 1995 Wrangler Sahara. My radio's speaker was only functioning on the passenger side. When I started playing around with the fader and balance, the right side would come on intermittently. Fast forward a few days, I replaced the head unit with a new one. Problem persisted the same. I went ahead and rewired the whole speaker side of the radio, including the sound bar, and replaced the front dash speakers, only keeping the original ground, accessory power, and constant power feeds. Problem solved (for the radio), but after this, my courtesy lights and dome light in the sound bar went out. I checked the fuse for heater/AC, and its not that. Also, my AC blower still doesn't come on. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
negative(-) electric connections

The courtesy light circuit is constant pos(+) and the door switch(es) and scroll-wheel potentiometer combo switch merely complete the neg(-) connection. I think the courtesy light completes the ground at a single terminal at the driver’s door switch or is daisy chained to a single ground from there- I can’t remember exactly.

The stereo speaker issue was 99.44% unrelated to the courtesy lights. But your work may have disturbed something common to the negative connections for the other two issues.

Did you check for power to the AC at the plug-in under the dash? The fuse could be just fine with something else interrupting pos(+) to the unit. If there’s power there jumper the neg(-) wire to something and see if the fan comes on. That will prove that out.

The dome (courtesy) lights are diagnosable at the driver’s door switch. Put it to something bare like the fuel pump neg(-) at the top of the ebrake and the lights should come on. If not you have to find where the unswitched pos(+) is interrupted.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

i failed to mention, I ran a direct power line from the battery to the radio since the constant on (pink) line on the radio harness was dead.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-17-2020, 05:28 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Radio shouldn’t be powered from the clock circuit. It sounds like you have aftermarket standard wiring colors so there’s either an adapter (good) or it’s butchered a tad.
I think if you sort out things back to oem you’ll find the right solutions

To begin: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...topics/2763434

Don’t cut stuff of, figure out what it is, leave unused oem stuff for someday or karma to the next owner.

Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 12 Old 07-17-2020, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Radio shouldn’t be powered from the clock circuit. It sounds like you have aftermarket standard wiring colors so there’s either an adapter (good) or it’s butchered a tad.
I think if you sort out things back to oem you’ll find the right solutions

To begin: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...topics/2763434

Don’t cut stuff of, figure out what it is, leave unused oem stuff for someday or karma to the next owner.
Is pink the clock circuit? if so, where should I be pulling constant power?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2020, 09:06 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Review the link. I believe pink is the clock.

Stereo could be on constant power I suppose but better to power from switched ignition power for the radio. Better still is to use a Blue Sea fuse box and switch the power using a relay and factory radio power wire.
There’s an easy connector also Jeep Wiring Harness for 4 Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BG66Y..._mYBeFb8FB2F4M

Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 12 Old 07-21-2020, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

As far as I can tell, I've been eight ways to Sunday around this electrical issue to no avail. I still have no power at the pink radio connection and my A/C blower is not coming on. I've checked all the applicable fuses and some others as well (why do I have a Rear Wiper fuse when I don't even have a hard top?) Still my courtesy lights are out and the dome light won't come on. I seems like I'm missing something minor (like maybe a ground). I'm at my wits end! Some one please help!
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 PM
IRQ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You stated you checked all fuses, does this include the small red IOD next to the horn fuse in your engine bay?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ View Post
You stated you checked all fuses, does this include the small red IOD next to the horn fuse in your engine bay?
Are you serious? there are two red fuses there, and I think are the only ones I didn't check because the book said they were for the horn. I'll look when I get home. Do you think that will fix my A/C issue too?

Last edited by CoconutSport; 07-23-2020 at 01:34 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2020, 04:19 PM
IRQ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some diagrams that should help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbv8l076r...BqA8OZN4a?dl=0

95 Rio Grande • 2.5L • Stock • 50k miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2020, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
CoconutSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ View Post
Dang nabbit! You were on the money IRQ, it was that little 10 Amp mini fuse. Got my courtesy lights on again! Thanks! Now on to the A/C blower. I wonder if the A/C relay is why the blower is not coming on?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 AM
Philippsen

Seems like a mixed wire problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in