• 4 Post By Waternut
  • 1 Post By Waternut
  • 2 Post By JJ93YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Weighed my jeep today

A whole bunch of things have led me in the direction of wanting to weigh my jeep and I wanted to get individual weights rather than just an overall snapshot. Things like possibly getting new suspension, why is my lift so high, why do my tires need to be inflated to under 20psi on the street to ride flat, surely my jeep doesn't weigh over 4000 lbs like some people claim for a modded rig, etc etc.

Bought a couple extra bathroom scales of similar to ones I had (total of 4 under the wheel with 2x4s to spread the load). Jacked and leveled the jeep so that there were no false weights with one tire being weighed higher than the others. I'm doing this with nearly a full tank of gas. For the record, I forgot to put the leveling block back under one of the wheels when I was swapping the scales and that 3-4" height difference caused an increase of 130 lbs. Proves leveling is important...

My configuration:
Drivetrain: 2.5L engine, AX5 tranny, SYE and adams driveshaft, D30 with spartan locker, 8.8 rear with limited slip diff
Tires: 33" Federal Couragia tires with 15" alloy wheels (these weigh about 88lbs each and have tons of tread left)
Suspension: Rough Country 4.5" SUA lift (track bars and sway bars deleted)
Interior: Stripped... 2 front seats, no doors, no top, raptor lined interior, trail gear roll cage added on to the family roll bar, heater ducting removed, flat dash with no frills, toolbox rides at all times
Exterior: 3/16" rock sliders, Pro comp 1/4" rock crawler bumper, basic front bumper with winch plate and 12000 lb winch (all recovery gear in the jeep but I don't carry a hi-lift jack)

Other notes: My 72 lb spare isn't included and only gets thrown on for trails nor is another 30 lbs for fluids, tire inflator, and water so I figure about another 100 lbs for trail gear.

My results as averaged over a couple weighs:
Driver front: 796 lbs
Passenger front: 762 lbs
Driver rear: 687 lbs
Passenger rear: 689 lbs
Total: 2934 lbs

I'm pretty stoked with that weight! I'm also pretty shocked that the front really doesn't weigh all that much more than the rear. I was expecting nearly 200 lbs more for the front especially with the winch. I may start experimenting with leaf removals to see about lift height changes, flex, and overall ride improvements. My Jeep does ride and flex pretty decent for a YJ but curious if it can get better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Question: how exactly did you weigh it? 4 scales under each tire? Then you added the weight of each scale together to get the total for each wheel?

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Correct. This video is kind of the concept of it...only I just weighed one tire at a time to keep it cheaper.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I get it.

Only it would have been cheaper for you to go to a scale. They usually charge $10 to weigh stuff.
Heck, I live in a farming community and they weighed my boat for free. They just wanted me off their scale so they could go back to weighing important stuff.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming you just want an overall weight, yes it would be cheaper to weigh your Jeep that way. For me I'd have to drive 20+ miles just to get that and it still doesn't give the fidelity of knowing which wheels are loaded with what weight. I also know that the scales closest to me are accurate from one weighing to the next on the same day but I've seen as much as 300 lbs difference from one week to the next on my truck. When your talking a semi truck, that's pretty trivial but on a 3500 lb truck like I drive to haul stuff, that's enormous.

Also, I obviously didn't buy a ton of scales like that guy did in the video. Just a couple extra from what I had.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is great! Ive been looking to get the correct center of gravity for my rig but needed the weight at each wheel. What kind of scales did you use?

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I get it. It's good data. Nice job.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-16-2018, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
This is great! Ive been looking to get the correct center of gravity for my rig but needed the weight at each wheel. What kind of scales did you use?
Just some simple $9-$10 scales off ebay. Try to get 400 lbs scales since the middle ones will end up taking more load than the outside. I think I had one scale peak at around 390 lbs once and you don't want to be constantly re-positioning them to stop them from getting an error.
shaggyjim likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM
JJ93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

scrapyard

Just take some scrap metal to a scrap yard, they weigh your rig on the way in and the way out-then they give you money.
shaggyjim and BeepBeep_420 like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2018, 03:47 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have thought about weighing my Jeep on the trailer.
Then again maybe I would be better off not knowing, since I tow it with a 1/2 ton Chevy.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ93YJ View Post
Just take some scrap metal to a scrap yard, they weigh your rig on the way in and the way out-then they give you money.
I understand but I feel like the justification for doing this was pretty well explained in posts 1, 5, and 6.

Even if you have to buy 4 scales, I still feel like $35-$40 to know your actual weight distribution at each wheel is worth the price and really helps with proper suspension setup. If asked, I would've sworn the rear tires were weighted significantly less than the fronts and that's just not true.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So now it would be cool if you got a full weight on you rig to see how close it is to what the scales said. 2934#'s is nice going to be nice and easy on axles and drivelines'

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in