Weber 38/38 carb pics - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-06-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
scottyholmes

Weber 38/38 carb pics

Hi all, been Googling the last week here and other sites. Looking for basic completed Weber 38/38 carb swap pics with schematics. Not to reinvent the wheel so I'm sure people can refer me to what else is already out there. Thanks to those who have already assisted. I have a 1990 YJ with 4.2 straight 6. Took old stock carb off. I'm very new to this and need idiot's guide to install new carb. I'm a disabled vet and working on this Jeep as a therapy project. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-07-2019, 12:02 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

not sure that this pic will help you or not but at least having a comment on your thread will have others look at it maybe and help you further. This is the Weber on my 4.2 that is in a CJ7 and about to come out. I have a few other pics of it as well if you need them.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20181013_14_07_53_Pro.jpg  

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #3 of 9 Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 PM
70sbudget

I’m rebuilding my 38 on my 4 cyl cj7.

What is it you are looking to see from the pics?

post #4 of 9 Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 PM
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think Iíve managed to attach a picture of my 32/36 install...trying this on my iPad for the first time. As far as the set up I think itís roughly similar.

My advice on installing carbs is to not make it more complicated in your mind than it actually is. The instructions that came with it, assuming you bought it from redline or quadratec, are really good. And I know there are write ups on here you can search for, too.

Basically itís just putting one thing on top of the other. Make sure you use gasket sealer. Just rub it on there and make sure the gasket is covered. Use red loc-tite. Working out the linkage will probably be the most frustrating part, but it just takes a little trial and error. Make sure that the throttle shaft bolt isnít over tightened out of the box. Seriously.

Once itís on and running, just tune it step by step, slowly and patiently. Itís not as much of a pain as some people make it out to be. I honestly think that many of the problems people run in to installing carbs are caused because they just canít be arsed to take it slow.
Attached Thumbnails
08C8757A-50E5-4A1D-9A6B-1A94B5A5DCA9.jpg  

1990 YJ: 4.2, Weber
post #5 of 9 Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 PM
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also, hereís a write up for the 32/36 that I found helpful. I donít know for sure if itís exactly comparable to the 38, but regardless it breaks down the basics of a carb install and includes a couple of diagrams.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...ite-up-382309/

Also, if you havenít done the ďNutter BypassĒ youíre going to want to do that. If you can connect two wires together, you can do that!

1990 YJ: 4.2, Weber
post #6 of 9 Old 03-10-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
scottyholmes

Ok, that is a great picture and I really appreciate it. I did see that 32/36 post before but thanks for sending it. What I've seen is that there are about 10 different schematics to hook up all the new lines after getting rid of the old lines. I have NOT done the nutter bypass yet, but I have read about that as phase two. I did get the redline weber carb so I think yours is the same one i got.

I see that you ran a line directly from the distributor to the little side nipple on the side of the carb. Is that T'd with anything else? (I am not up to the full lingo that you Jeep Veterans are at. lol.)

What did you do with your back CCV that is covered in the picture by the carb? I just have a breather cap on mine now.

Did you cap the EGR valve too? I recall with the nutter that the EGR becomes obsolete anyways?

I will attach my schematic that was shared with me and you can put your two cents in. Any help is appreciated.

My weber kit did not include the connecting rod that connects from the carb linkage to the little throttle cable lever thingy. What length is yours so I can buy it. I've found both adjustable 8inch and 6inch from Redline on ebay. Can you advise?

Annnnnnnnnndddddd finally........my jeep before AND after this carb swap was doing the wet black soot thing and stinking of strong exhaust. From what I have read that means my fuel is running a little rich. I do not have a Holley fuel pressure regulator on it like everyone says is a good option. There are zero leaks under my Jeep on the floor so I don't think I am having leaks. But I'm all ears.

Thanks all. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Vacuum Lines.jpg  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-10-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
scottyholmes

I do like have your CTO valve is not being used at all. Is that an option? If you could take a few more pics from all 4 sides and and above shot that would be awesome. I really like reading and learning but those pics really help a visual learner like me. Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyholmes View Post
Annnnnnnnnndddddd finally........my jeep before AND after this carb swap was doing the wet black soot thing and stinking of strong exhaust. From what I have read that means my fuel is running a little rich. I do not have a Holley fuel pressure regulator on it like everyone says is a good option. There are zero leaks under my Jeep on the floor so I don't think I am having leaks. But I'm all ears.

Thanks all.
Scotty, I have found that when you experience "the wet black soot thing and stinking of strong exhaust", is from the idle speed screw in too too far.

The Weber setting is for the leading edge of the throttle plate to be located, at or below the enrichening holes in the throat of the carburetor.
The Weber 38-DGES spec is 1/2 turn in maximum. see picture for "EXTRA" fuel at idle when the idle is set too high.
UTN
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
scottyholmes

I will give this a try later today when I'm home. How do you recommend doing this in a procedure? Reason I ask is that it's cold up here in the Pacific Northwest and I understand that cold starts may have an impact on getting a baseline? Would I start it and let it run for a while and then start from "zero?"

I also noticed that with the old original BBD carb it was doing the same thing with respect to the black soot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in