(We can see clearly, 2020 build...) NOTES / ADVICE - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
(We can see clearly, 2020 build...) NOTES / ADVICE

In the process of my rebuild (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/...build-4363361/), sadly with limitations (sadly) of work to be done

In the process, I received this quote (I broke it up in pieces and added (X's, ?'s & checks) to it for easier readability). Some of the items weren't what I "asked for" in the quote (read below).

As always, I'm nervous handing over the Jeep to anyone, as I'm a huge advocate for "if you want something done right, do it yourself" but under the circumstances of limited availability of space, in this instance, as well as welding & body ability - I think I'm stuck. Where if I worked on it then something should happen to break - I was in it, I saw it, I touched it, I know it's limitations. Theres so much to all of that. I asked if I could "participate" at the shop, but for "insurance" reasons, the answer was no. Hoping to see what advice or ideas y'all might be able to pitch in. As always, thank you all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Frame repair

Sand blasting the frame. Seems I remember someone (I think @Boojo35 ) had issues with the PO sandblasting parts of the YJ. I don't think its too abrasive for the frame. The only issue there might be filling up the frame, ugh.

For the motor mounts, I'm leaning towards the M.O.R.E. mounts (SBC)

Frame rust repair and weld motor mounts I think are pretty straight forward
post #3 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Paint and Body

I'm agreeable with Raptor or whatever is durable for undercoating

The paint & body repair are pretty straight forward

The plan had been to implement (weld) CJ headlights into the grille (ducking), but I've found the square corners look a bit hokey with the CJ lights. And I'd be doing it to please who? The Jeep would also be unrecognizable, altogether (as the same Jeep).

post #4 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lizard Skin

I didn't ask for Lizard Skin (aggrevating). I hesitantly mentioned "thinking on it". I'm not at all sold on the Lizard Skin. I flaked it away on the shops test piece with my fingernail. And I prefer to use Bulletliner or Line-x (to match the center console). IMO, the sound barrier isn't a Jeep thing (or maybe it is for the newer Jeeps 🙄 lol).
post #5 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Axle and Gears

I think axle & gears is pretty straight forward, although I think Yukon is "top shelf"?!

The plan: To one-piece the disconnect d30 front

+ Although I dont know that the d35 is worth it. Even if I went with chromoly, the spider gears are succeptible to easy breakage. Even with 33's, wheeling. I may go with a 8.8, having a tradeoff in cost of regearing.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The altogher bottom line cost is a bit scary, not counting my cost of induction, radiator, transmission, adapting xfer case, exhaust, shafts, dash & gauges, seats, etc, etc. Let us all know on the forum, how many "dead presidents" you dropped on these parts of your build.. Thanks!
post #7 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 AM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quadratec is selling brand new frames for $2395. That's not too far off from the repair estimate, with the added benefit of being new. All you'd need to do is paint it. Just sayin'... When I needed a rear frame clip, I bought the section from a Jeep dismantler for $60, painted it in and out with POR-15 and top coated with Rustoleum, then had a local shop weld it in. Total cost, including PA state and emissions inspection and tax, was right around $550.

I'd go with the 8.8. Some day I'll find one with either the 4.10 or 3.55 gears and L/S. I had bought one, but someone stole it from the JY before I could pick it up. I've put 3 D35's in my rig and I can tell you, they're not worth spending your time and money on.

I've painted Rhino Liner on a few old Land Rovers back in the day, and I can say that as with all coatings, proper prep is key to a good result.

STAY SQUARE!! Why anybody would want to try to blend in with the JK's, I'll never know.
JeepinJeff72 likes this.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #8 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 02:16 PM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sand blasting and coating frame and axles is unnecessary unless this is a show jeep... wire wheel, rust converter and rustoleum or similar coating. I see major saving there
87TPIYJ and JeepinJeff72 like this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #9 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Sand blasting and coating frame and axles is unnecessary unless this is a show jeep... wire wheel, rust converter and rustoleum or similar coating. I see major saving there
Not a show Jeep and definitely not a pavement princess but it is being built to start a new lease on life, so to speak. From there, the usual wheel, break, fix, repeat.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeff72 View Post
Frame repair

Sand blasting the frame. Seems I remember someone (I think @Boojo35 ) had issues with the PO sandblasting parts of the YJ. I don't think its too abrasive for the frame. The only issue there might be filling up the frame, ugh.

For the motor mounts, I'm leaning towards the M.O.R.E. mounts (SBC)

Frame rust repair and weld motor mounts I think are pretty straight forward
The issues that I had with the PO sandblasting is he left too many parts on things when he sanblasted. For instance, he sandblasted the tub with the dash board, steering column, brake booster, etc in it still. The column was hopelessly full of sand. The guages, all switches, etc.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Bump
post #12 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Sounds to me like the shop is doing what good shops do... everything that needs to be done the right way. If you won't trade your time working on your jeep to do these things that need to be done, you're going to pay them for their time and expertise. The list/quote seems complete and fairly priced to me. I bought our Jeep for $600 and after all is said and done, it's a very nice jeep. We have about $7800 in ours right now and that's with me doing all but the paint work.

Your choice. Your time, or your money. I don't think any part of that list is superfluous except maybe the Lizardskin sound deadening. Other than that, as long as you trust the shop, have met with and looked at other customer's vehicles that have had their work done at this shop (more than one is best) I'd go for it. Me, personally, would do everything on that list except the sound deadening and the powder-coating of the frame and axles. Rattle can is easier to touch up and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Best of luck.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #13 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
JeepinJeff72

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Sounds to me like the shop is doing what good shops do... everything that needs to be done the right way. If you won't trade your time working on your jeep to do these things that need to be done, you're going to pay them for their time and expertise. The list/quote seems complete and fairly priced to me. I bought our Jeep for $600 and after all is said and done, it's a very nice jeep. We have about $7800 in ours right now and that's with me doing all but the paint work.

Your choice. Your time, or your money. I don't think any part of that list is superfluous except maybe the Lizardskin sound deadening. Other than that, as long as you trust the shop, have met with and looked at other customer's vehicles that have had their work done at this shop (more than one is best) I'd go for it. Me, personally, would do everything on that list except the sound deadening and the powder-coating of the frame and axles. Rattle can is easier to touch up and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply @Luuca .

Thinking back, I've paid extensive prices far too many times for trusting in people to do work I know I could have done better and/or have better outcomes; and in some instances, learned from. Secondly, for everything this build means - that I could do it myself. Perhaps that I "should have" done it to myself because its "my/our own journey" that to anyone else, may be just another "thing", I don't know that I'm comfortable (if thats the word). Not asking or looking for anything from anyone in this sense or anything like it. It's just my process.

I did question the shop about only one u-joint on the axle quote, whether it was for the 2-piece axle. And why the other rusty ole dry u-joint wasn't in the quote. "Well, I guess we can" was the response.

Looking ahead, the thought of finding something overlooked or something broken or whatnot, I'll be at a huge loss at a huge expense - perhaps even "man on fire" for me. idk.

Lastly, this is a huge investment in "someone elses hands", to which the owner replied "it's like we're building a new vehicle". I, along with many of us here in /f12 don't believe in new vehicles; rather fix what you got.

Does any of this make sense?

On the rattle can, I have been thinking about a product called "Zero Rust" highlighted in Kevin Tetz' paintucation. This reminds me of another question. The paint shop the "Jeep shop" uses literally backs up to the county dump. It smells awful over there. The paint guy does beautiful work that I've seen. But does odor transfer to fresh paint in the drying or curing process?

Thank you.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

maybe buy a Honda?

I dunno why you're overthinking it. It's pretty straightforward. Do you trust the shop? Have you gone through the entire build list and added all the things that you feel need to be done? Can you sell a kidney on the black market or get away with just one bank robbery?

If you don't have the time, tools, or space.. maybe a Jeep project isn't for you? Not trying to tweak your nose, but a few people I know have done exactly what you are contemplating only to sell the Jeep less than a year later after realizing that all the money in fort Knox isn't going to make a 23+ year old utilitarian vehicle into something they want to daily drive. They lose interest because, in part, they only have financial equity in the project and not a love for just how simple, pure, and challenging actually wrenching on these beasts actually is. Our YJ, for example, will never be sold by myself or my daughter. I think that, eventually, down the line, if I don't do my part to instill a love for tinkering and working on your own rig into my grand-kid(s), they will sell it. Why? because they don't love it. It's an item. It only has monetary value.

I don't know you. You may love your rustbucket YJ. You may truly be completely devastated that you don't have the time, tools, or space to do the work yourself. Again, maybe it's not the right time for you to own one or maybe you just need to pay the price.
DirectMatrix and bruinjeeper like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #15 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

One last thing.. what's the total bill? How much for the whole enchilada?

Now add that number to the price you paid for the YJ...

Got the number? yep?

Ok now go onto craigslist and find every Jeep Wrangler you could buy for that total amount of money. Would yours be exponentially better after spending the money on it, or are there much nicer wranglers on CL you could buy?
NHfireLJ likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in