Want 35's, will this work? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
rubberbelly

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Want 35's, will this work?

So this is my first real post for a question so bear with me...

I have a YJ that is basically stock and I am on the fence between 33's or 35's and need some help in my decision. It is my daily driver (for now) and is a 5spd 4.0L with 30x9.5. I realize the 3:07 gears will need changing.

Guess my question is, will I be able to get them to fit and stay spring under? Has anyone done this, pictures? How much cutting will I have to do? Or would I be better off go with 33's

Reason I ask is last July I put the 30x9.5, 2 weeks later I found out I should have put 31's on it and rubbed a little. Sooooo thought I would check before I jump this time.

Getting tired of scraping, here is what I am looking at:
3.5" BDS
5/8" Boomerang
Body lift, prefer not to go over 1 or 2"
TJ Flares
Cragar 341's 15x8 with 3.75"BS
33x1250 or 35x1250

And before anyone asks, I have the Ford 8.8 setting in the garage waiting on the electric locker to replace the D35.

Thanks for helping out!

94 Jeep YJ 6cyl Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 11:48 AM
GMCJASON

I have the same dilemma on my hands but from what I am finding out is your lift options are good for 35's. They tell me that a shackle flip 1" body 1" & 3.5" susp. for 35's.

I'm not sure about those boomerangs I here there is no diff. then I hear there is a lot of difference.

I went from 33's to 35's on my everday truck without a gear change & it is a dog now.

98 TJ 4.0 5spd
Starting build up 4/1/03
Just a play toy!

00 Z71 5" Ranncho on 35's
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
rubberbelly

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I am not convinced the front needs the boomerangs, but the back definately will get them because of the rear cross member interference. Just gives the spring more room to stretch under full compression of the arched springs. My stock springs are beginning to sag the wrong way...

Hopefully the guys will chime in....

94 Jeep YJ 6cyl Auto

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 AM
GMCJASON

Do the boomerangs provide any lift like a shackle flip?

I hear a 1" body is nice because it is small & changes all the old body mounts to polyurethane.

The shackle flips with zerks in them also look real good.

A BDS kit is what I am doing also a place called Planet Powersports in Mi. has them right now for $580.

98 TJ 4.0 5spd
Starting build up 4/1/03
Just a play toy!

00 Z71 5" Ranncho on 35's
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Gator

I4, Clem a freind of mine thats on this board has done basically the same thing . I havent seen it yet but we talked over the phone.. i'll ask him how much he trimmed

what i do know, 3.5 BDS Springs, Tj Flares, i want to think he ran a 1" bodylift & i forget which shackles , Goodyear 35x12.5 MTR's ..... he just swapped a 9" rear with 4.88's & Tj'd shafted the D30 up front with 4.88's, Spooled rear with ez locker front

he said he was going to have to trim some of the fenders so the tires could stuff fully... so far he's loving it

he did have 30's on it

hope this helps, sorry i dont have any other info than that, but i can find out more
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
rubberbelly

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gator,
Thanks for the info...

GMCJason,
The shackles I am looking at are from M.O.R.E, I think they list the lifts on the boomerangs as 0", 3/8", and 5/8" lift.

Not sure about the shackle inversion... But I think they do give more lift and I don't want to sacrifice appoach angle or handling characteristics with any larger of a shackle.

94 Jeep YJ 6cyl Auto
post #7 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Gator

Quote:
Originally posted by rubberbelly

Not sure about the shackle inversion... But I think they do give more lift and I don't want to sacrifice appoach angle or handling characteristics with any larger of a shackle. [/B]
ok look at it this way, your going from a 30 ? to a 35, you've gained 4-5" in diameter which will help you gain in Approach angle 2" < half the diameter gain>

Shackle reversal's usually gain about a inch of lift, some say they ride smoother

3.5 BDS springs, shackle reversal, 1" body mount style lift, & Tj Flares, you should be there man.. atleast for mostly street, but would still be able to work offroad as well

what changes that would needed to be changed would be minor after that.. wether you extend your bumpstops, or trim a lil fender

I Definately wouldnt add lift shackles, they put a negative arch in a lift spring & the arch wont last long
post #8 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 05:08 PM
fatkid1082

this summer I'll be running 3.5" 4WD Hardware lift springs, revolver shackles, long travel teraflex shocks w/ hoops and all, 1inch body lift, and tons of TJ flare trimming (which I already have) and 35's.

My current set up is 3.5 superlift springs, 1 inch shackles, tons of trimming and tj flares and 33's. And it flexs well, but it lacked some droop (thats where the new setup comes in this weekend).

I have found that up travel is cool, but some good droop is where you want to be. extend the bump stops a bit so the fenders aren't crunched, and you're good to go...

I'll have to post pics of my new setup

Man Julia Stiles is Hot!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 06:17 PM
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just did the 35" tire thing... i have them fitting pretty well. what i did is...
4" suspension lift
2" body lift
tj flares
this adds up to apx. 7" of lift, and i can still bend the fenders with the tires completely stuffed. i think i'm going to flat fender the front to get the extra space.
it depends on who you talk to as to wether or not the shackle reversal is a benefit or not. i've heard that with the larger tires it is a problem with them binding in the back part of the fender well, where you cant cut out any more without actually going inside the tub. i'm really happy with the way my set up works. i still have some tweaking to do to get it perfect, but for now, it is good.
i'll get a picture up soon.
i cant find a picture on flat land...

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2003, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
rubberbelly

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nailer,
Thanks for the info... Now you have me leaning toward the 35's, guess I can always drop the bump stops and loose out a bit on travel....

Anyone else running 35's SUA? Pic's?

94 Jeep YJ 6cyl Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in